I need advise about buying a GPS for my bikes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah it sucks that they charge for updates. bike bandit was having a sale on zumos this weekend. maybe check them out.

I want to thank everyone on this thread because this has given me some good ideas for mounting my phone on my bike for gps and I'd also like to take some video while I'm racing :clapping:

I'm taking all this in... Guess it's really worth spending the extra $$$$$$....

Added: I've been checking specs all night. Frigging Zumo's are expensive and don't seem to come with lifetime updates.
But for weatherproof, looks like the only game really... Almost convinced on the Zumo 550... None seem to be perfect though.

So far, I haven't used my GPS while riding the Vmax. I know the areas too well where I ride it. I bought my GPS for the longer trips when I'll be riding the big Honda and pulling the trailer: aka vacations and such. Anyway, that said, I bought two different RAM mounts for the handlbars. One is the normal, fair weather, flat part to snap it into, and the other is one of those BIG, GAWDY box devices with a see-thru touch screen door that closes down over the GPS on the front. If expecting big rain, I can always pull over and switch out the little mount, for the bigger water proof one, since I carry it in the trailer just for such an occasion. I also added the hard-wiring to the Honda so I don't have to worry about battery life.

Lot's of guys I know of, just take an extra sandwich baggie or two with them and some duct tape for an instant weatherization plan.

I think the biggest selling point that the Zumo units can/could make would be that their internal hardware has been vibration proofed specifically for motorcycle use, as well as the obviously better weather resistance, and the ability to mate with most helmet sets via a much wider assortment of bluetooth frequencies.

My Nuvi unit is the 1390t. I thought that Nuvi made other models that offer an audio output jack too. I haven't really researched that yet.

I spent the $$ and got a Garmin Zumo 665 with XM music and weather subscriptions (I think those are about $19 / month for both). I really like it, it's not perfect but waterproof is a big plus for me. RAM handlebar mounts are great and I have multiple Garmin harnesses for each of 3 bikes.

I love the weather information except it doesn't work in Canada and points north of the 49th parallel.

rf-lg.jpg

sc-01-lg.jpg

Latest posts

Back