I need charging genius help!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZRX/V-MAX

Reaction score
Please!

I've been having low voltage issues, and I've followed the Electrosport flow chart.

I replaced my R/R with one of their late model finned Max units, wired straight to the battery.

It lasted about 10 minutes. was charging almost 14v. now it's only putting out about 4v

HELP!

Zrx, disconnect the R/R and do the diode tests as outlined in service manual. I would stay away from that company. I had one of their stators and it was a POS. Not sure about their R/R's though.

I have no doubt that the R/R has gone bad, I'm just scratching my head wondering if something on my bike caused it.

Like how much voltage out of the stator is too much? I'm getting almost 70v at around 5k rpm, almost 20v at idle. All three lead combinations measure equally.

What else could damage the R/R? Running too much voltage in is the only thing I can think of, but I don't really know.

I bought that brand, cause some folks here have posted good results with it.

It is made in China though.

Also, the shop manual states to not connect the R/R directly to the battery, but this seems to be a common modification.

Any thoughts as to what issue this might cause or why the warning in the manual?

Stator should be about 50-70 VAC at 5K rpms. The R/R could burn up of the stator to R/R connection is bad/dirty. I would tie in the red R/R wire prior to the main fuse. Otherwise, the R/R and stator are not protected by a fuse.

Zrx, disconnect the R/R and do the diode tests as outlined in service manual. I would stay away from that company. I had one of their stators and it was a POS. Not sure about their R/R's though.

Hey Mark
I have one of their R/R and it has worked flawlessly for me.

ZRX. It should have a one year warranty. It might not have been grounded properly. Get a new one and try again. If it happens again it is unlikely it is the R/R.

Yeah, I called Electrosport and got an RA # to return it. I talked to their tech dept. for a while as well.

I put a stock R/R back on, and it's working ok, not great, but ok.

I got 3 from the po, so I tried them all, and used the one with the highest output.

It's weird though. at idle, I get high 12's, almost 13 to the battery. As I rev up the motor, it will climb to around 13.5 at 2-3k, then drop off back to high 12's at any higher revs. With any kind of load on the battery (blinker, high beam, etc.) I get about 12.5 at idle

I'm getting nowhere near what the shop manual wants though.

While the Electrosport unit was working, I was getting nearly 14v at idle

Back