I polished my scoops

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimmie

Reaction score
They turned out pretty good. A lot of work!

Attachments

• DSC00536.JPG
    DSC00536.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC00538.JPG
    DSC00538.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 104
looks good, going to do mine when i get a bench wheel.

Wax them good so they will shine longer. I used to put 2 or 3 coats of turtlewax on mine.

They turned out pretty good. A lot of work!

Yep. Turned out pretty good.

Now if you want to keep polishing them forever go right ahead.

Aluminium oxidises the minute its exposed to oxygen. So any unprotected metal will quickly lose its gloss (especially if it gets wet) and you will be forced to keep polishing to maintain the finish.

However, you now have a good finished surface to chrome. Do yourself a favour and get it chromed or swap them out for a chromed set.

Awesome, now maybe Santa Clause will bring you a ton of Aluminum Polish with an 80 gallon garbage bag full of terry clothe rags to keep them clean along with some bengay for a sore elbow.

Awesome, now maybe Santa Clause will bring you a ton of Aluminum Polish with an 80 gallon garbage bag full of terry clothe rags to keep them clean along with some bengay for a sore elbow.

Ho, ho, ho, not a bad Idea Lankee, you sum bitch...........

I read that guitar polish works extremely well, I haven't tried it - but if any of you guys that may have a guitar(s) and some polish kicking around try it at let us know will ya. It apparently leaves a nice shine on paint too. :confused2:

By the way, I know I haven't been around in a while but I have had a ton of stuff going on.

I need to catch up !

The scoops can look OK polished but many of them have bad casting areas in them that will never polish out. Chrome is the way to go!

I imagine there are pleny of guys here with scoops I sold them that can attest and maybe even get you some pics.

Sean

Ho, ho, ho, not a bad Idea Lankee, you sum bitch...........

Santa Santa Santa,,,, You a naughty Santa I see. Now is that anyway to talk in front of the boys and girls of the forum..
Better hope the rain deer dont piss on your VMAX tires!

I could use som Bengay for my sore elbow from sitting here at work all day polishing my CRANK ! :rofl_200: I polished my scoops a few months ago - not exactly chrome looking, but still way better than it was. Not too hard of a job with an electric buffer & some jeweler's rouge' .

I'm not sure if the clear would stick to well to a polished surface. Most of time you need something for paint/clear to stick to. Not sure if they make an etching (think that's how you spell it) clear. Any one ever cleared polished parts before?:confused2:

I'm going to go the chrome route just because it's easy to keep shiny.

Yeah clear will more than stick to a polished surface. Many polished wheels are cleared.

Chrome IS the best way to go but polishing is great for the guy on a budget!

Good job!

Chris

The scoops can look OK polished but many of them have bad casting areas in them that will never polish out. Chrome is the way to go!

I imagine there are pleny of guys here with scoops I sold them that can attest and maybe even get you some pics.

Sean

Sean's right on that one. I had some polished scoops and I am way too anal about things. Had to polish them every three days had Sean chrome me a set. money well spent IMO anyway. look much better. and can spend the time polishing some other part instead, well at least until I get that part chromed.But by the time summer gets here don't think there will be anything left to chrome. WOW more ridding time.

I'm NO paint expert, but my experience with clear-coat is yellowing, peeling & chipping. I'll have a set of Sean's chromed scoops one of these days...

I'm NO paint expert, but my experience with clear-coat is yellowing, peeling & chipping. I'll have a set of Sean's chromed scoops one of these days...

If you get a good clear you won't have these issues!

Clear powder coat can be a bit "muddy" but it is probably the strongest.

Back