I think I might have let a cage think he had a chance...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakRatFink

Reaction score
So after running a few fruitless errands this afternoon I was heading back to base where I live. It's about a 10 mile stretch of 4 lane through prairie from the north end of town to base. Leaving town there was a tuned up Acura with a carbon hood etc trying to pass me. I downshifted and left him. After a speed zone and bottleneck for a few hundred feet of construction, I moved over to the right lane and was cruising along at about 70-75 in 5th. I check my mirror and soon enough he is flying by me in the left. I refuse to downshift to catch a lowly cage so I use that V-4 top gear roll on I love so dearly. Soon I am approaching 115..20.. 25. I still haven't quite passed him but I am within a few car lengths. We are both approaching traffic in our respective lanes and both roll off.
He looked surprised that a "cruiser" caught him, but I think that when I let him by me, and then proceeded to chase I led him to think I was giving everything I had.
Still it left me wishing I had downshifted and left him instead of toying with him.

Sounds like you had a great day....... Hind Sight is always 20-20.
I couldn't agree more, Dave. Did I mention ONE of my fruitless errands was going back to the hangar I work at to fix problem with my leave paperwork, only to arrive there and have my section chief tell me " I already fixed it over the phone, now get the @#$% out here and enjoy your leave!" :)

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: Typical... Enjoy your leave.... :clapping:

Rat, You'll have to put that Max away n get out the Max snowmobile pretty soon. Move down to Whiteman. A lot more bike days, for sure. Was good to get out on the scooter this morn. It decided to get wet the last week and a half. My yard was brown until then. Now I havta mow n mow n mow. :damn angry:

I've been a mowing fool this season. Amazing how much the grass can grow during a record flood year. ( thankfully I am not in the flood plain ).
Rat, You'll have to put that Max away n get out the Max snowmobile pretty soon. Move down to Whiteman. A lot more bike days, for sure. Was good to get out on the scooter this morn. It decided to get wet the last week and a half. My yard was brown until then. Now I havta mow n mow n mow.
30.gif

Actually, I really DO want a sled. I have not had one since I was a teenager in WI (1974 Arctic Cat Panther 440 2 stoke Kwaka) I have actually thought about keeping it in the VMax family when it comes time to shop for a sled.

In the early 1960's my dad joined a country club because he liked to play golf. We went to the club in the winter, and they had a Ski-Doo they were giving rides on to the members. I got my turn and the thing I remember best is the ice-cold wind making it hard to see. This was within 5 mi. of Lake Ontario between Syracuse & Buffalo. That must have been one of their first products, because I recall reading in Popular Science about them. It was about the same time as Mickey Thompson ran his notorious 'square tires' on his one-off wheels at Indy, in 1963. He invented the low-profile tire using a wide wheel.

So, are you gonna buy a sled, or do you already have one?

Next time you see him you will know better than to play around. And you will see him again as so often you take that road. Next time just leave him behind.:rocket bike: And looking like this:surprise:

So, are you gonna buy a sled, or do you already have one?
Don't have one, yet. I have an FZR Streetfighter project, an A/C compressor for the wife's car (not a necessity in ND but I think she would appreciate me fixing it) and some other "business" to take care of. Plus I really think she wants a KLR 650 for when she gets herself riding again. BUT I think if I got her a sled just once she would be hooked. :) I will probably deployed a good chunk of this upcoming winter, though so this may not be the season to buy one JUST yet.

Next time you see him you will know better than to play around. And you will see him again as so often you take that road. Next time just leave him behind.
44.gif
And looking like this
surprise.gif
I'm sure I will see him around again. In fact, I saw the same car later in the day on base :D

There's a huge boatload of cars that will run over the top speed of our beloved Max, I don't know about a modded Acura tho' Depends on what Mods, but i've seen plenty of 4 Banger Honda's put down 500+ hp.....When done right and done big....

As far as top speed tho 155 elctrocically limted is pretty common these days on many cars you never guess would go that fast........:confused2:

I ALWAYS down shift.........Why f**k around?:punk::punk:

Yeah, my buddy's '11 5.0 Mustang is probably putting about 430HP down at the wheels after exhaust, intake, and an aftermarket tuning module reflash and he do 140 in comfort and style. ( although trying a speed run in that thing with windows down produces damn near as much buffetting as the Max, LOL )

Yeah it's gotten crazy...

There are "elctronically tuned" Ford 3/4 ton diesels that will run well over 150, I didn't believe it until I saw it, and hp and torque numbers in the 800hp and high thousands on TQ.....my co-worker did a 6 wheel burnout in 4 wheel drive......

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

Yeah it's gotten crazy...

There are "elctronically tuned" Ford 3/4 ton diesels that will run well over 150, I didn't believe it until I saw it, and hp and torque numbers in the 800hp and high thousands on TQ.....my co-worker did a 6 wheel burnout in 4 wheel drive......

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

Of course you throw your warranty out the window when you get that kind of a tune. The dealer just accesses your ECM/BCM, sees the electronics have been altered, and, "bye-bye warranty!" The drivetrains and specifically the transmissions aren't make for withstanding that kind of output.

Vehicles a bit older you could get away w/a reflash onto your computer, & re-setting it to stock before you brought it in for service ("It just went, 'Boom!'"), now, everything is logged.

Of course you throw your warranty out the window when you get that kind of a tune. The dealer just accesses your ECM/BCM, sees the electronics have been altered, and, "bye-bye warranty!" The drivetrains and specifically the transmissions aren't make for withstanding that kind of output.

Vehicles a bit older you could get away w/a reflash onto your computer, & re-setting it to stock before you brought it in for service ("It just went, 'Boom!'"), now, everything is logged.

True, but these guys don't care about it anyway......

They're runnning aftermarket Turbos and hardware to get the kind of numbers I've seen as well, for sure a warranty killer......

Is the Diesel Hot Rod Phenomenom Just down South? Or is it everwhere?????......

The 24 hours of LeMans has turned into the battle of the turbo diesels.

No shit?

I had no idea...

I've seen some 1 ton rigs run in the low 12's, high 11's at the strip, always makes me smile it's so ridiculous to see a 7,000lb truck do something like that.....

I've been to Sebring for the 12 Hours race, lotsa fun, as long as you don't get disappeared into the "Green Zone." Those who have been know whereof I speak. Decline all invites to 'tour the 'Green Zone!'' It's like 'Beyond Thunderdome' in there.

The AUDIs have been owning that race for many years.

I like the historic racing classes, plenty of vintage iron on the track, '60's Mustangs, Camaros, Mini Coopers, 356 Porsches, XKE's, 'Vettes from Gen 1-3, Ford Cortina GT's, AUstin Healys, SPrites, even saw a SAAB 2 stroke. Plus one of my all-time faves, a Lola GT.

The dead giveaway between the "poser" tuners and the ones with some real power is that the real ones don't have the fart can exhaust from wal mart with the 5" opening.

A couple years ago we were on the highway and a Mitsubishi something-or-other(no badges) pulled up next to us, saw the driver look over, and then from 75mph absolutely launched outta there...even over my bike and the wind I heard the turbo whoosh up and away it went....even a double downshift to third didn't even begin to reel him back in. I realized it was a futile effort, but my buddy on an R6 kept at it and would it up to 160 or so. I saw he started to gain on him, slowly. Never caught him though....

Surprising how "tempered" to speed you get. To any cruiser rider the Vmax is amazingly fast, to me I just wish it was faster. Strike that, I wish it was more stable. That's what gets me about this bike. I know it's capable of 150, but I can't get there because it'll wobble off the road before that.

Back