Identifying steering wobble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redoctoberz

Reaction score
I was passing a car on an onramp this afternoon and hit about 85 to 90 I would say - I made a fairly sharp turn around the car to pass and the steering started to wobble, not really a wobble like I have had when I had misaligned forks on my previous bikes, but a smooth side to side sinusoidal wave motion. Stopped once I straightened up the bike. Thoughts? Bike is completely stock, 5.5 psi in each front shock.

SLIDE THE FORKS UP THROUGH THE TRIPLE TREES , 1 INCH ! AND GET YOURSELF A PLASTIC JESUS !:rofl_200:WELCOME TO THE V-MAX WORLD !:rofl_200:

Mine does it too.

Back tire, an IRC, is bald. Just installed a new ME880 Metzeler. Will see how that does... Also have some used forks from an '88 that are supposedly lowered a bit. Should help some.

On high speed blasts, my bike starts a slow, uncomfortable wobble in the 90mph range.... doesn't seem to happen when riding two up with more load on the suspension...

Any particular reason?

I have no interest in lowering the front of my bike 1" and possibly throwing the C.G. out of a decent range. I'd rather just ride within the bike's means. I just wanted to make sure that it was not an abnormal occurrence or something I should look into.

so let me get this straight , you think thousands of people on this website all with the same problem , and have talked about fixing it in several hundred threads and posts , are all wrong and should still be waiting since 1985 for a tsb from yamaha ?

Your original post explained your problem and requested thoughts from the members and they did so.

First off, a totally stock vmax, even new, has some weaknesses built into it that will cause weave and wobbles. Also, maintenance or lack of will make these weaknesses more apparent. Of course, opinions will very on what to do or upgrade to lessen these problems.

For low buck fixes, proper tire pressure, 12-14lbs air in forks, proper torque on steering bearings and swingarm bearings, lowering the front forks 1 to 1.5" (try it before judging - it can't hurt) The upright riding position creates an upward wind push on the upper body (especially at higher speeds)reducing pressure on the front end and creating wobbles.

For more beneficial fixes, although more expensive, racetech or progressive fork springs (lowered) racetech cartridge emalutors, radial tires, solid motor mounts and/or frame braces, aftermarket rear shocks, some gusseting to the rear section of frame, strengthened swingarm, etc...

Also, reducing the "death grip" on the handlebars will have a great beneficial effect on reducing wobbles.

Hopefully this helps.

Mike

Your original post explained your problem and requested thoughts from the members and they did so.

First off, a totally stock vmax, even new, has some weaknesses built into it that will cause weave and wobbles. Also, maintenance or lack of will make these weaknesses more apparent. Of course, opinions will very on what to do or upgrade to lessen these problems.

For low buck fixes, proper tire pressure, 12-14lbs air in forks, proper torque on steering bearings and swingarm bearings, lowering the front forks 1 to 1.5" (try it before judging - it can't hurt) The upright riding position creates an upward wind push on the upper body (especially at higher speeds)reducing pressure on the front end and creating wobbles.

For more beneficial fixes, although more expensive, racetech or progressive fork springs (lowered) racetech cartridge emalutors, radial tires, solid motor mounts and/or frame braces, aftermarket rear shocks, some gusseting to the rear section of frame, strengthened swingarm, etc...

Also, reducing the "death grip" on the handlebars will have a great beneficial effect on reducing wobbles.

Hopefully this helps.

Mike
" WELL SAID ":punk:

When Yamaha comes out with a TSB I will follow it then.

That's unfortunate because there is absolutely no chance that Yamaha is going to issue a TSB on a design that is no longer in production. If there was going to be a TSB regarding this front end problem it would have been issued years ago.

If you want to eliminate your wobble the best advice available is on this forum.

These worked for me:
Sean Morley's front steering bearing torque method
Progressive front springs
Drop the forks 3/4" in the trees

Bike handles like a dream!

Your choice
danny

its a design flaw actually !

so let me get this straight , you think thousands of people on this website all with the same problem , and have talked about fixing it in several hundred threads and posts , are all wrong and should still be waiting since 1985 for a tsb from yamaha ?

Ignore these answers and the ones that say "can't be fixed" or "it's normal". When my bike was stock I never had this problem until something was out of whack on the bike. A worn or under inflated tire can cause this as well as any issues with the steering bearing such as damaged, ungreased or over/under torqued. Do a search on steering bearings and start with that.

ignore these answers and the ones that say "can't be fixed" or "it's normal". When my bike was stock i never had this problem until something was out of whack on the bike. A worn or under inflated tire can cause this as well as any issues with the steering bearing such as damaged, ungreased or over/under torqued. Do a search on steering bearings and start with that.
who said it can't be fixed ? Also i've had many bikes & have driven at high rates of speed 170 + mph's never had any shake or wobble on any of my bikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never ! THERES GUY'S ON THIS FORUM THAT SAY , THEIR'S START GETTING THE " WOBBLE " AT 40 MPH . :ummm:

Last edited:
Back