Ignition advance???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdoprey

Reaction score
Does the V-max TCI advance the ignition timing by other means than just "normal" advance based on rpm? Does it advance timing when V-boost is activated or some such?

There is an article that explains the whole VMAX ignition system and how it advances, I was going to make a retard system for NOS.

Check with VMAXOUTLAW I will look I know it was posted look also ignition here

At the very least, i'm thinking of eliminating any additional advance or retarding it some. I've got a turbo kit and may need to retard it. Just eliminating any addidtional advance would be helpful and may be all thats needed running low boost.

Well would removing the hose off of the intake port that goes to the map sensor stop any timing advance?:ummm:

No. Supplemental advance is applied as sensor voltage applied to ignitor increases (vacuum increases). Check the link and review the decision graph.

http://vboost.users1.50megs.com/advance.htm
Supplemental advance...up to 10 degrees is applied as long as rpms are above 1500 and there's at least 40 mm of vacuum. The higher the vacuum the lower the voltage. If the voltage is over 2.1 Volts then only the fixed advance is ever applied. So, unhooking manifold connection isn't the answer...ensuring voltage is always over 2.1 volts is. Plus, I'm not sure if ignitor is expecting some voltage to operate properly. What you could do is unplug the electrical connector from the sensor and apply 12 volts from the battery. That would ensure only the fixed curve is used.

Otherwise, a Dyna 3000 ignition would work too.

You can always slot the pickup coil mounting holes for advance or retard too. Plenty of material in them for doing this.

Sean

No. Supplemental advance is applied as sensor voltage applied to ignitor increases (vacuum increases). Check the link and review the decision graph.

Supplemental advance...up to 10 degrees is applied as long as rpms are above 1500 and there's at least 40 mm of vacuum. The higher the vacuum the lower the voltage. If the voltage is over 2.1 Volts then only the fixed advance is ever applied. So, unhooking manifold connection isn't the answer...ensuring voltage is always over 2.1 volts is. Plus, I'm not sure if ignitor is expecting some voltage to operate properly. What you could do is unplug the electrical connector from the sensor and apply 12 volts from the battery. That would ensure only the fixed curve is used.

DARK BLUE ON GRAY!?!

What were you thinking Mark... :rofl_200:

After reading the posted article, it seems to me that max ignition advance is obtained when vaccum is highest(and corresponding voltage from sensor is lowest), and that there is no additional ignition advance when vaccum is lowest(and corresponding voltage from sensor is highest), that correct???
If thats the case, then simply removing the vaccum line from the sensor(and plugging the manifold port of course) would eliminate any additional ignition advance.
Also seems to me that unplugging the electrical connection from the sensor "could" add full ignition advance since there would be no voltage. Of course, this might not work as the TCU may need some type of voltage present or at least have the sensor hooked up, for it to be able to work properly.
Does my thinking seem right???

Mark,
If one did just unhook the manifold connection then it would always be putting out 2.1 volts and therefore no supplemental advance and one would not have to worry about whether or not the TCI had the voltage to operate???? I think this would work.

Yeah, that should work since vaccuum would always be below 40 mm hg.

I recieved some info via email..

"We do not use the vacuum tube for the ignition . We have dynoed with it on and off and found no measureable gain. Slight loss if anything on the peak. I believe Yamaha was actually pulling advance out of the top of the curve with this. Why do you think Dyna didn?t bother with a port to their ignitor box direct ? With a Dyna in curve #4 you will actually pick up 2-4 hp through out the rpm range."

:confused2::confused2:

Im wondering if I should bother installing ports in my manifolds. Mechanical sync..

Back