Ignition system questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdoprey

Reaction score
Is the factory ignition system on the V-max actualy CDI? How 'bout the Dyna 3000?
Anyone know what type of ignition pickup is used? I know the 85-91's use a dual pickup and the later ones use a single.

Really need this info, so if anyone knows please post up.

Thanks!

My service manual cover the VMX12-C N-H. The oldest print is N (december 1984).

It states: This model is equipped with a battery-operated, fully transistorized, breakerless ignition system. By using magnetic pickup coils, the need for contact breaker points is eliminated. ../.. The TCI (Transistor Control Ignition) unit incorporates an automatic advance circuit controlled by signals generated by the pickup coil. ../.. The system consists of two units; a pickup unit and an ignitor unit.

Pickup Unit

The pickup unit consists of two pickup coils and a flywheel mounted on the crankshaft. When the projection on the flywheel passes a pickup coil, a signal is generated and transmitted to the ignitor unit. The width of the projection on the flywheel determines the advance. The pickup coils are located in the right crankcase cover. (picture shows them at the bottom of the stator near the oil level window)

Pickup coil resistance (color): 110 Ω +-15% at 20 C (68 F) (Orange-Black, Orange-Gray, Orange-White/Green, Orange-White/Red)
TCI Unit - Model/Manufacturer: TID14-43/Hitachi

PICKUP COIL RESISTANCE TEST

1. Remove seat
2. Disconnect 5-pin connector (Black, White/Red, Orange, White/Green, Gray)
3. Measure resistance (O-B, O-Gy, O-W/G, O-W/R)

the next update is VMX12S-SC (September 1985) - no ignition change

the next update is VMX12U-UC (August 1987) - no ignition change

the next update is VMX12E-EC (November 1992) I believe this is the 1993 year model, and the ignition has changed. It now says:

DIGITAL IGNITION CONTROL SYSTEM DESCRIPTION

The electronic ignition that sparks the engine is computer controlled and operated by the digital CPU (microprocessor). It has a preprogrammed ignition advance curve.
This programmed advance curve closely matches the spark timing to the engine's ignition requirements. Only one pickup coil is needed to meet the requirements of the digital ignitor unit.
The digital ignitor unit also includes the control unit for the electric fuel pump.

OPERATION

The following operations are digitally performed by signal from the pickup coil signal:
1. Determining proper ignition timing
2. Sensing the engine revolution speed
3. Determining timing for switching on ignition coil (duty control)
4. Increasing ignition coil primary current for starting the engine
5. Sensing engine stall
6. Preventing over-revolution of the engine

Ignition System: TCI (digital)
Pickup coil resistance (color): 81~121 Ω at 20 C (68 F) (Black - Orange)
TCI Unit - Model/Manufacturer: TID14-93/Hitachi

the last update is VMX12H-HC (July 1995) - no ignition change

And then finally, I'm including a coupla pics from the 1999 Owner's Manual which confirm that later on, the A/C generator has a nominal output of 14 V, 22.5 A @ 5000 rpm, whereas my older Service Manual states 14 V, 25 A @ 5000 rpm.

Hope this helps..

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 49
ok so i know that from 85-89 they made the dual pick up coils and after that from 90-2007 they used a single pick up coil and the generator changed as well. but can anyone tell me which one of these is for the single or dual? the reason im asking is because i have a 98 (single p/u coil) and have two generators that it came with cause i got a can of worms.....lol and i can only get the front cylinders to fire. fuel is there cause plugs are wet and fire is there for damn sure (trust me) ...lmao.. yes the timing is right... have checked it 4-6 times already. anyone tell me as to what would be causing me to not get the rear cylinder to combust???? . coils checked and good ohms and resistance and voltage. plug caps20150402_234015[1].jpg

20150402_234032[1].jpg and wires fine.... like i said.... she gets plenty of good spark.:ummm::ummm::ummm::ummm::bang head:

No spark at rear cylinders after fire damage repairs

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Check the wires from the pickup coils. If there is just an orange and black wire then it's the late model single pickup. The early model has 5 wires.

I had a short circuit on my 91 vmax via the starter motor. Now it won't start but occasionally fires a little on the rear right cylinder. Could this be the ignitor?

Back