Im interested in this vmax, not sure if its worth the trouble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jammintrey

Reaction score
http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/1894307625.html

Is it worth the trouble to rebuild the engine, I am an aviation mechanic so I LOVE to take apart/rebuild and recondition....

I am not sure where to find bearings, seals, gaskets etc for the bike though, any help would be great!!

I have a feeling that it might have gotten hot being as the back two cylenders are bad and not the front.... But im not 100% sure of the cooling system on these vmax's\

I currently ride a 2003 sportster with some andrews n2 cams, (yes i know its slow thank you :) )

Sounds like a plausible idea, but I am not sure if I could locate a 1300 for a good price and get it fitted in there and wired up well... I would much rather rebuild the original engine because I can do everything by a service manual. I am somewhat anal about aftermarket modifications and reliability.

if u can land it for 1k its a deal. not a steal but a deal. in parts as it sits its worth what hes asking. he said the carbs were cleaned, those would sell for several hundred, as would the forks, wheels, scoops, etc etc.

you really cant take a loss on that, and at 1k you might be able to make a profit... i mean if it is too much to handle. id rather see a vmax live on but if it is its time to go.. so be it! it'll only make ours appreciate lol

Talk to Sean Morely. He can fill you in on all the particulars. It's basically the same motor.

that would be a great way to experience the max, buy one for 1k, trade the motor to morley and build up a mean morley muscle engine LOL!!! youd be livin a fantasy man its so unreal

Personally I would like to do the work myself It would be somewhat of a winter/free time project. Getting the motor rebuilt by someone else takes away half the fun!!

Found him, http://www.morleysmuscle.com/ I will give them a call monday and see what a full rebuild kit would cost me... Do you guys just hone or are there oversized pistons for boring? Same with crank journals, do they get turned or stock size?

Just sent them an email, I think I am going to shoot the guy around 700$ cash for the bike and negotiate from there. I would like to build the bike to a stong 140-150 rwhp... I am not sure of what all that consists of but I am assuming it would be minor port/polish and higher compression/cams.

Also, they are located only about an hour from my house!!!! SWEET!!!

The original question was, is it worth it? I would say that it depends on how much you are willing to spend to make it right.

Looking at the pictures, without seeing the bike in person, I would say that it is a complete strip down and rebuild.

Engine rebuild - approx $2000.00
Paint & powdercoat - $1000.00
Suspension upgrade (front and back) - $1000.00
Seat upgrade - $400.00
Misc - $1000.00

So it's about a 6000 to 7000 dollar bike when your done, if you want to get it up to great condition.

Good luck on your decision.

Mike

Just sent them an email, I think I am going to shoot the guy around 700$ cash for the bike and negotiate from there. I would like to build the bike to a stong 140-150 rwhp... I am not sure of what all that consists of but I am assuming it would be minor port/polish and higher compression/cams.

Also, they are located only about an hour from my house!!!! SWEET!!!

An max engine set up to make 140-150 rwp will cost you up to $5000 - including aftermarket exhaust - or alot less if using NOS, but only good till the bottle runs dry.

A good carb setup (stage 7 or morley's kit) with an aftermarket exhaust will produce about 120 rwhp - it's the next 20-30 rwhp that will cost alot of cash.

Mike

if you feel like doing the work yourself it'll be a bit cheaper but you risk doing odd things wrong which can be costly down the line.

If you get Sean Morley to do it for you, you'll likely pay a little bit more, but you'll have the peace of mind of having a job done perfectly, knowing it'll be reliable and you get the best customer service, ever.

Best way to contact him is email: [email protected]

Or, if he's close enough he can drive down to the drag races today and see some of the Vmax's in person! Got to go so will send reply email later.
Sean

always good, imho, to see another max put back on the road... just make sure the price is right :clapping:

I had seen that Max on CL also. Let us know if you get it and if you need any help wrangling it back to your place!

Brian

I can say one thing! All you guys can really turn my stomach sometimes. I have yet to run across a good deal on a Vmax. I would love to pick one up that could be my daily rider for 700 - 1k then just do the 1300 engine swap.... GaG gAg Gag LMAO some of you can run into a pile of poop and if you just wash of the top of the pile there is Gold underneith it

Gannon

Nice to hear you are considering a Max. The ad doesn't sound like he wants to be lowballed but he can only say no and insult to momma right?
Looks like an airbox/carb fire damage to me. Might want to double check wiring harness for damage. Honestly, your HP dreams will be expensive and that means a lot of work on your part too! There are better candidates out there that much of the work already done and paid for such as carburation, exhaust, brakes etc. I applaud your skills but I would only tackle this bike to take it back to stock form, detail out and sell it for a modest profit. Then maybe go to a hipo version. Good luck either way!

The original question was, is it worth it? I would say that it depends on how much you are willing to spend to make it right.

Looking at the pictures, without seeing the bike in person, I would say that it is a complete strip down and rebuild.

Engine rebuild - approx $2000.00
Paint & powdercoat - $1000.00
Suspension upgrade (front and back) - $1000.00
Seat upgrade - $400.00
Misc - $1000.00

So it's about a 6000 to 7000 dollar bike when your done, if you want to get it up to great condition.

Good luck on your decision.

Mike

I would guess around $10K To restore the bike and make it right. Maybe more for the 150 RWHP figure you want. You need to add about $2500 for Chrome too! Cheaper to find a good running one that has the Mods you want. Keep looking and you'll find one. Good Luck, Spurs:punk:

Bheinz57, thanks for the offer man, I have a truck and trailer I can use that me and my buddy take our bikes all over with, My dreams of 150 hp have subsided, Its like trying to make 100hp on a sportster, like 6000$ haha....

I think I am going to start looking for a 2002+ with around 12k or less... Whatever 2-3k a year is. Then see what it takes to get a 20-30 shot on it... A nitrous kit with pump seems to be right around 1000$ but having 4 carbs seems like Im going to need 4 nozzles. Very difficult to get all routed up and spraying evenly..

Maybe I will need to find someone who wants a mint 2003 100th anniv Sportster 1200 custom (kinda cafe racer mod haha)with 9k miles.. I can probably get 5500-5000 for the harley.

Back