Integrated CBR LED Tail Light Mounting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2011-10-16_11-42-24_449.jpg

2011-10-16_11-42-03_336.jpg

Some finished pictures for ya!!

I got my CBR light installed on my Max. Used same method as we did on Grimmie's Max. I Love This Mod!!!!:punk:

Mounted mine today as well! Used Grimmies mounting tab idea. Ground off the upper plastic mounting tabs on the CBR light....it allows a tighter fit to the inside of the fender! I still have to do some final fit and finish work, and will post a pic when done. Great mod!

2011-11-01_15-50-08_483.jpg

I personally like the tag under the light like we did here. This mod sure slicks out the rear of the max real well.

For those that do not have access to a welder, the metal tabs can be riveted on as well......

Good point, nothing wrong with pop rivits! How did you mount your license plate? Did you use an additional bracket? I held mine up to the place where it would sit if I drilled holes in the plate itself, but it seems to sit awfully high. So high that you can't read the state....cops probably won't like that!
For those that do not have access to a welder, the metal tabs can be riveted on as well......

Good point, nothing wrong with pop rivits! How did you mount your license plate? Did you use an additional bracket? I held mine up to the place where it would sit if I drilled holes in the plate itself, but it seems to sit awfully high. So high that you can't read the state....cops probably won't like that!

We used some flat metal about an inch wide, doesn't have to be real thick. Drilled small holes at one end to fit the existing light mount bolts. Once they are attached you can swing them out at whatever angle it takes to reach the plate holes. We held the plate up where we wanted it and marked the holes, took the tabs back off and drilled the holes for the plate bolts.

We had to bend them out a little to get the angle right so the plate wouldn't hit the rear tire.

Shane

Great mod! Beautiful. :clapping:

Just throwing 2c in the ring...
I would like to see someone do this mod with a plastic welder.
Sure, it has to be done before the fender is painted, but 2 plastic tabs welded in the same place would be cool!
Dead simple for someone with a plastic welder, and you could bin the inner fander too.

ok guys you've seen my vids. my install WAS working, but now they don't. my wife was in her cage following me tonight and when we got home she asked me why i don't use my turn indicator. i said of course i do. when i went to show her, low and behold my the CBR taillight's turn LED's weren't lighting up. after looking for loose connections, i finally figured out that the turn LED's DO work, but only when the running light is not hooked up or if the brake signal isn't activated.

in other words

1) running light connected = turn signals don't work
2) brake light activated = turn signals don't work
3) running light disconnected = turn signals work
4) brake light not activated = turn signals work

if i take out the load resistors, everything works "kind of"--the turn signals start hyper-flashing. this is unacceptable. i must have the 1 Hz flash rate.

HELLLLPPPP!!!!

I don't know if this will help your troubleshooting or not, but when I connected mine, I used my oem signals AND the cbr integrated ones. Mine does not have the resistors (didnt come with it) and it flashes normally. That being said, could it be a problem with the resistor pack? I wonder if you could try bypassing the resistors and temporarily adding the oem signals to see if the problem goes away?

I don't know if this will help your troubleshooting or not, but when I connected mine, I used my oem signals AND the cbr integrated ones. Mine does not have the resistors (didnt come with it) and it flashes normally. That being said, could it be a problem with the resistor pack? I wonder if you could try bypassing the resistors and temporarily adding the oem signals to see if the problem goes away?

Thanks Bob,

1. I stuck an oem signal up front and took out the resistor pack. running/brake lights are on but you can see the cbr turn signal and oem turn signal hyperflashing.
  2. I stuck an oem signal up front, disconnected the cbr taillight's turn signal wires, connected an oem on the back, connected the cbr integrated running light. In this setup, things act normally
  3. I stuck an oem signal up front, connected the cbr taillight's turn signal wires AND an oem on the back, connected the cbr integrated running light. only the oem's work--no hyperflash, but no cbr integrated turn signals at all
  4. I stuck an oem signal up front, connected the cbr taillight's turn signal wires, connected an oem on the back, disconnected the cbr integrated running light. In this setup, things act normally--no hyperflash, and of course no running light.
The cbr integrated light all of sudden does not like simultaneous running/brake and turn signal voltages for more than one second. The cbr integrated light is operating OK with momentary blips of turn signal voltage--this is evident of the things working but only when hyperflashing.

i don't understand, it was working before? something went wrong inside that cbr light. :bang head:

Might try removing the light and using alligator jumper wires straight from a battery to the light with no resistors in line. The light should function properly this way. If not, you know it's the light that's bad. I tested my light this way before installing it.

That's a great point. I used a common 9volt battery to test mine when I first pulled it out of the box to make sure everything worked correctly. It sucks you are having problems with it after it was working so well...I hope its not a sign of things to come for all of us that have installed it!
Might try removing the light and using alligator jumper wires straight from a battery to the light with no resistors in line. The light should function properly this way. If not, you know it's the light that's bad. I tested my light this way before installing it.

GOOD CALL GRIMMIE! I tried out your suggestion before I left for the office this morning, and I'll be damned! The light functions properly. I reckoned that the light was flaky, because, high-browly speaking, how could it be the bike and/or the wiring? i mean the way i had it wired worked before.

So, during my commute I started thinking what could be the problem. This morning I didn't connect/disconnect the turn signal wire to simulate the 1 Hz period of flasher; rather just kept the wire on the terminal. I said in my earlier posts that the light functions properly without load resistors except that it hyperflashed. In retrospect, I recall that the turn LEDs weren't as bright, though. So with these couple of thoughts I am thinking that without the resistor pack the voltage applied to the turn LEDs by the flasher were quick pulses with a frequency that was quick enough that the turn LEDs were seeing a somewhat continuous sub-twelve-volt signal.

So right now, these are the important observations I believe are worth retaining:

1. CBR tail light's turn signals don't work when all of the CBR tail light wires are connected to the OEM wiring
  2. CBR tail light's turn signals do work when using OEM turn signal wiring, but only when brake and running light wires are not connected
  3. CBR tail light's turn signals works when brake and turn signal wires are connected directly to battery
  4. CBR tail light's turn signals works when running and turn signal wires are connected directly to battery
Soooooooo, looks like I've got some more troubleshooting and experiments to run. I'm gonna try the direct-battery-connect with the resistor pack after work and see what happens.

I wonder if the tail light turn LEDs aren't seeing a long enough voltage pulse......
If so, how do I correct this? and why is it the case three weeks later when it wasn't initially?
The resistor pack that came with the CBR light uses 7.5-ohm resistors.

hmmm....

so i finally figured out how to fix my problem. after a couple nights of studying the schematic and experiments, i convinced myself that the necessary voltage pulses for the turn LEDs were just getting sucked somewhere else when the running light (and brake light) are in the mix. i don't know why after three weeks, the electrons decided to take a different path, but apparently they did, because i hooked in yet another relay and now the cbr taillight fixture works as advertised:eusa_dance:. with all of the other gizmos i've hooked in, i'm gonna have a total of 8 effin extra relays on the bike after i fix this problem--i'm running outta room, ugh :wacko: I hope I don't want any more gizmos

here's a diagram of the extra connections i need to do for one turn indication
cbr taillight extra wiring.jpeg

Is your battery in good shape? Sometimes that causes issues as well. My brother's battery is on its way out and his will hyper flash every now & then at idle.

Back