Interesting battery problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
When I swapped my battery from the 2000 to the '86, I noticed the negative pole was covered in green gunk, which wasn't there when I looked a couple of months before. I also noticed that the negative pole bolt nut had been eating up by that green gunk - replaced it with a new one.

Then when my new battery arrived I fitted it to the 2000 and left the other one on the '86, having cleaned the pole properly.

Because of the '86 electric problem, I left it for 3 weeks and rode the 2000 in the meantime.

Then today I had a go at finding the problem on the '86. It'd been sitting for 3 weeks in the garage (pretty hot weather but not humid), and after just 3 weeks, check out the picture of the negative pole. WTF? Is that battery leaking? It's one of those 'Universal' sealed AGM batteries, it holds its charge fine, and once cleaned up the pole looks positively sealed. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 40
I had this exact problem on one of my vehicles. It did end up in my case to be a very small leak in the battery around the connection. The platic case actually had hair line crack in it. Something to be carful with is that that green gunk wil travel down the inside of your negative cable and corrode the entire cable if it sits in there. I had to tear out and replace the entire cable on my car. Might want to get it out of there asap and check you negative cables.. Just my .02.

The main negative cable's screwed already lol.. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to that battery to fix it - I don't fancy spending yet another $80 on a new battery - cheapest you can find here in Oz, and that a lead acid one :(

I wonder if the poor connection that you had on the negative side allowed the corrosion to set in?

Actually the battery pole went gunky on the 2000 bike, which has no problems (and has a brand new battery now). This photo was taken on the '86 (which has the old battery from the '00) and also has the fucked ground cable, but I think the cable was dead already.

Well go get the pad's they sell for car battery's looks like a thick felt washer green and read cut to fit put on post try that.
Just a few buck's

You might try sealing the connection, after you get it cleaned up, with some of that spray made for that purpose. Most auto supply stores would carry it. I personally use white lithium spray grease to seal one, IF it tries doing that. Keep the air away, and the corrosion will slow significantly. The battery in my lawn mower is the worst one. My old Chevy pickup would do it some too. Can't say I've ever had it going on in one of my Maxes though.

After it is clean petroleum jelly will help keep it from coming back. I used that method on a car I used to own after getting tired of cleaning the poles. Its cheap and effective.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

question, jelly next to your poles. interesting garage. lol

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

It's copper oxide. Oxidisation and charge are bedmates.
It's like gangrene, in that if you don't clean it all off it will come back, and the best way to kill it is by removing the oxygen. Vaseline works.

Think of it like bare metal on a car, has to be sealed with paint, and you have to remove every last speck of rust.

This is what you are looking at --> https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...s=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

It can also be a sign of a battery problem, obviously.

A solution of baking soda and warm water, well mixed can be used to cleanup the terminals of the oxidation. Then use Vaseline or the Parts store spray sealer.
Here is a WebBikeWorld report on cleaning and protecting motorcycle battery terminals. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-battery/battery-terminal-cleaner/
Here is a product that NaughtyG might be interested in, a cleaner and sealer in one: http://www.bgprod.com/products/battery.html They also have a cleaner spray, sealer spray and battery terminal protectors.

A solution of baking soda and warm water, well mixed can be used to cleanup the terminals of the oxidation.

For cleaning believe it or not, soaking in regular Coca Cola Classic works great, just have to wash away the sugary syrup and ants afterwords.

Thanks guys, cleanup done I'll try the vaseline first and if it still comes back will look for that sealing spray.

Ninjaneer, that was funny.. Plenty of jelly and poles in my garage, plus a choice of good other lubes!

You've had this same battery installed in 2 different bikes and had the same problem with terminals corroding in both? If that is the case, I would consider replacing the battery. It sounds like it may be leaking fumes from the case. All batteries put out a small amount but sometimes fumes will leak out from around the terminals or another part of the case and attack the metal.

If you notice the problem coming back, remove the new battery from your '00 and throw it in the old bike and see if it persists.

When I swapped my battery from the 2000 to the '86, I noticed the negative pole was covered in green gunk, which wasn't there when I looked a couple of months before. I also noticed that the negative pole bolt nut had been eating up by that green gunk - replaced it with a new one.

Then when my new battery arrived I fitted it to the 2000 and left the other one on the '86, having cleaned the pole properly.

Because of the '86 electric problem, I left it for 3 weeks and rode the 2000 in the meantime.

Then today I had a go at finding the problem on the '86. It'd been sitting for 3 weeks in the garage (pretty hot weather but not humid), and after just 3 weeks, check out the picture of the negative pole. WTF? Is that battery leaking? It's one of those 'Universal' sealed AGM batteries, it holds its charge fine, and once cleaned up the pole looks positively sealed. Any ideas?
What brand battery? Quality batteries like Yuasa and Odyssey are sealed well around the posts to prevent leakage and the subsequent corrosion caused by the aforementioned. Try cleaning them up and applying some dielectric grease to the posts. That should solve the problem.

Naughty G...So did you find the problem w/my old bike?

Oh never mind that question, I looked at some of your posts and see it's still driving you nuts.
Surprises me to hear that the ground cable was bad. The prior owner had installed those huge cables that looked like they would last forever.

Good luck on your gremlin search!
- John

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back