Interesting thought..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
Anyone here remember the unleadad Amoco gas? It was water clear, and 100 octane. No ethanol, the southern boys were still drinkin' the stuff....

How about the Sunoco 260? Again, ethanol free....

Wouldn't it be great to get a couple tankfuls to run through our VMaxes? I'd bet a lot of the little crappy issues with our carbs would be gone..

Anyone here remember the unleadad Amoco gas? It was water clear, and 100 octane. No ethanol, the southern boys were still drinkin' the stuff....

How about the Sunoco 260? Again, ethanol free....

Wouldn't it be great to get a couple tankfuls to run through our VMaxes? I'd bet a lot of the little crappy issues with our carbs would be gone..

That was all my Dad would run in his cars back in the day. We had an Amoco station close to our house.

He called it "white gas".

I used to have a Honda CB160 back in the day, and like your Dad, would only run "White Gas" through the bike. Had an amazing exhaust smell... Bike ran great, too!

I'm able to get 90 octane NO ethanol at Marathon station in the small town very near me. Price is between prem and mid grade. I usually start a ride with this fuel, also use it in all my small engines.

Living on the Gulf Coast of Florida, our boaters have cried enough that we can get Ethanol free gas a numerous boat yards around me. Of course you
pay for the privilege.

I remember Sunoco 260 VERY well. Used to run it in both cars and bikes.

But, I'm getting to be an old fart. Still, it's true what they say: "Those WERE the days."

I remember Sunoco 260 VERY well. Used to run it in both cars and bikes.

But, I'm getting to be an old fart. Still, it's true what they say: "Those WERE the days."

Yessir....back when you could judge the tune by the light grey color inside the pipes....ain't seen that for some time!

All the Fastrac Gas Stations in and around Rochester, NY sell ethanol free 91 octane. A bit pricey but used it in the boat, 4 wheeler, and/or anything being winterized. That ethanol is bad stuff and will start causing problems for carburetors after about 45 days of sitting. Wish there were more stations that sold it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If im not mistaken all the gas stations around my area only sell ethanol free gas. Havent seen anything on the pumps stating otherwise as of yet.

Back in 1958 I had a Harley Hummer (125cc - 2-stroke). Used to buy the "white gas" to mix with the 2-stroke oil. Not sure why but seem to remember it was supposed to be better for 2-stroke engines at the time.

If im not mistaken all the gas stations around my area only sell ethanol free gas. Havent seen anything on the pumps stating otherwise as of yet.

I think they can add a certain percentage of ethanol without stating it.....If I'm not mistaken.

Filled with no ethanol 90 octane again today. I was off on the price, it was $4.29, a dime higher than premium. It states on the pump no ethanol, for use in small engines and extended storage.

Yes white gas, Bill. It was popular in it's day. Sunoco 260? second to none. They'd sell plenty today if the EPA backed off. Screw Ethanol, I hate it. Even with stabilizer, there is yellow shit in my fuel system. Next winter I'm getting all that shit out of my fuel system, before I lay her up.
I guess the stage 7 set I have ready is going on.
Steve

Avgas smells amazing, 100 octane low lead. $5 a gallon at the small airport by my house. Cleanest gas you can buy. Just don't pull up the runway on the max and fill it. Gotta bring a gas can.

Local small marina sells 90 octane no etheynol for about 30 cents over premium. I buy about 8 gallons in a couple small containers every other month for my bikes and small engines . No fuel issues in quite some time , and have not adjusted my stage 7 Max in 5 years.

One of the local gas stations shut down for a month to put in new tanks and pumps. They reopened last week and put up a big banner saying "we now sell ethanol free gas". I mentioned to my wife but she didn't seem to care as much as I did.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Back