Is 10 Ga. monster wire too thick ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax626

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I want to change out the stock wire that runs from the stator to my R1 regulator but, I can`t find any monster wire above 10 Ga. It is way better wire than primary automotive wire but I`m a little worried about the current flow to the regulator may be too low because of the thickness.
I`m running 10 Ga. from the regulator to the battery both pos. && neg. and I get 14.32 volts to the battery, which is pretty good since I did the bigger battery mod.
any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
<<Dave>>:punk:

you want to run a wire bigger then 10 Ga? why's that? if your getting 14.32 v thats pretty good, is that at idle or which RPM?

No, I want to run smaller wire from the stator to the regulator( about the same thickness as stock (14Ga.) but I can only find 10 Ga.
<<Dave>>:punk: The 14.32 volts is at Idle,

ahhh i see now, usually 12 ga is available. or run two 14ga, something like that.

ahhh i see now, usually 12 ga is available. or run two 14ga, something like that.
I can`t find any in a 12 or 14 Ga.
I know that they make it but it`s a p.i.t.a. to find , all the stereo shops out here only carry the large power monster cable. I want to change the three wires going from the stator to the regulator.

holy cow that is a PITA.
no auto parts store close by eh, that sucks your having such a problem finding it, not like its uncommon.........

if you really get stuck i can mail some towards ya man.

10 gauge would be fine. You really can't run too large of a wire. There is a point that it wont make sense to go larger but it wont hurt, you'd just be wasting money.

Stock ones are 2,5mm 2 so something like gauge 13 :ummm: - no offence guys but american wire gauge is something totaly stupid...

Gauge 10 is extremaly way tooooo big. You can transfer about 50A on it LOL

I can`t find any in a 12 or 14 Ga.
I know that they make it but it`s a p.i.t.a. to find , all the stereo shops out here only carry the large power monster cable. I want to change the three wires going from the stator to the regulator.

If you want to change the wires "directly" from stator you gonna need some oil and temp resistant wires. Non-halogen insulation is highly recommended.

holy cow that is a PITA.
no auto parts store close by eh, that sucks your having such a problem finding it, not like its uncommon.........

if you really get stuck i can mail some towards ya man.
They told me at the stereo shop that, in a monster cable, it`s hard to get but they make it and it`s about $1.25 a foot which is ok but the monster power cable is much better that regular automotive wire because it allows more current flow with less resistance and it has made a big difference in the charging system, I can leave my bike sit for three weeks or more and when I turn the key, it fires right up !!! I replaced the starter cable with a 4 Ga. and the cable from the battery to the selenoid with the same and the starter flies when I hit the button.
I wish that I could rewire the whole bike with that stuff:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:.
If you can find me some14Ga. cable let me know , pm. me.(monster and kicker both make it).

If you want to change the wires "directly" from stator you gonna need some oil and temp resistant wires. Non-halogen insulation is highly recommended.

I plan to splice it maybe a couple of inches outside of the stator cover.
Yah, I know about the hot oil thing and I don`t want to worry about leakage from the rubber plug either :biglaugh:.
<<Dave>>

Monster branded wires are the biggest rip-off this side of OPEC. Monster takes ordinary shit, makes up some technology they claim make it work better, and mark the price up 1000%.

There seriously isn't a single auto parts store nearby? Autozone, advance, napa, nothing? Hell wal-mart usually carries automotive wire. I know I can get a roll of 10ft of 10ga for like $5 at the local autozone. Thinner gauges give you more wire for the same price.

Thicker wire won't hurt anything but it won't really help either. The stock diameter stator wire is perfectly fine for the load it carries. There might be a teeny improvement, but 14.3v is about as close to perfect as you can get....I really wouldn't worry about it...it's working fine, no need to fix it.

Larger wire equals the capacity to carry more current and less susceptible to voltage drop. It will not hurt anything to run a 10 gauge wire. It might be overkill and cost a little more but it definitely will not hurt performance.

Monster branded wires are the biggest rip-off this side of OPEC. Monster takes ordinary shit, makes up some technology they claim make it work better, and mark the price up 1000%.

There seriously isn't a single auto parts store nearby? Autozone, advance, napa, nothing? Hell wal-mart usually carries automotive wire. I know I can get a roll of 10ft of 10ga for like $5 at the local autozone. Thinner gauges give you more wire for the same price.

Thicker wire won't hurt anything but it won't really help either. The stock diameter stator wire is perfectly fine for the load it carries. There might be a teeny improvement, but 14.3v is about as close to perfect as you can get....I really wouldn't worry about it...it's working fine, no need to fix it.
Yes there is but I could only find primary automobile wire and, thats not what I want to use.

Larger wire equals the capacity to carry more current and less susceptible to voltage drop. It will not hurt anything to run a 10 gauge wire. It might be overkill and cost a little more but it definitely will not hurt performance.
I have the 10Ga. monster cable, I was just looking for something closer to yhe stock guage but, I guess I just didn`t want the bulkiness of the bigger wire and I was wondering about it being good for keeping a steady voltage, thanx for that reminder.
3 years of electronics school washed away with beer:bang head::confused2::ummm::rofl_200:

As noted already the larger wire will not hurt anything at all. Now, saying that I need to clarify things a bit.

#1 - I am not an electrician

It's not always the gauge of the wire that makes the flow capable. You can use 10 gauge home wiring but not flow current for shit. It will flow amperage but not voltage. Kind of like a garden hose vs a fire hydrant hose. The big single opening can flow a shit ton of water but at low pressure (relatively). The home wiring uses a single strand of wire which is the issue with it.

So, what you want is a nice size wire with as many internal wires as you can. The greater the number of wires the greater the amount of current that it is capable of moving. Electrons flow on the outside of the strand and not down the center (same thing for exhaust by the way). So, one strand only has one outer diameter to flow. Multi-strand wires have lots of outer diamters which all add up to far greater flow.

Take a minute sometime to look at the "better" cables and you'll understand what I am saying.

Sean

As noted already the larger wire will not hurt anything at all. Now, saying that I need to clarify things a bit.

#1 - I am not an electrician

It's not always the gauge of the wire that makes the flow capable. You can use 10 gauge home wiring but not flow current for shit. It will flow amperage but not voltage. Kind of like a garden hose vs a fire hydrant hose. The big single opening can flow a shit ton of water but at low pressure (relatively). The home wiring uses a single strand of wire which is the issue with it.

So, what you want is a nice size wire with as many internal wires as you can. The greater the number of wires the greater the amount of current that it is capable of moving. Electrons flow on the outside of the strand and not down the center (same thing for exhaust by the way). So, one strand only has one outer diameter to flow. Multi-strand wires have lots of outer diamters which all add up to far greater flow.

Take a minute sometime to look at the "better" cables and you'll understand what I am saying.

Sean

Yes Sean you are correct!

I see the problem, it is the same issue I was having when looking for wire for the coil conversion harnesses! Primary wire like he said is all he could find. Lets say we are working with 16 Ga wire. Primary wire usually has 16 stands in it plus the jacket is hard as a rock. Now they do make some 19 and 21 stand 16 Ga wire, but it is very hard to find off the shelf. You almost need to by 500' spools. When going to more strands in the wire it becomes more flexable and the jacket is made softer. Now the bad thing is when you get a softer jacket ,it is not always the best for abrasion resistance and the heat. Now with the Stereo wire ie. Monster Cable etc. the sheild is soft and the strands are way way up there in count. Sure they are supposed to be better for current because of the strand count. Their big hype way back when was for sound quality. They claimed and probably still do of "Oxygen Free Copper". Now this supposably is better for sound, and I am sure if you were listening to some music with their wires and some wires back from the 60's and you had good hearing you could hear the differance. Now days you need listening equipment to hear the differance. So my point is I don't think you are going to get a perfect match without paying for it! Flexability , abrasion resistance, color, heat resistance, size, and the quanity.
I am not trying to burst your bubble I am just saying goodluck! I truly mean it. Unless you happen to know someone that works in an industry that might have some. Otherwise off the shelf, you might as well throw in the towel. I know this personally!

Gannon

Yes there is but I could only find primary automobile wire and, thats not what I want to use.

Why do you not want to use regular automotive wire? Like Sean said, it's multistrand copper wiring, like I'm sure the OE wires are.

Back