Is it worth a K&N air filter at service?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pittnathan

Reaction score
Hi. Just a quickie. Is it worth ordering a K&N air filter over a stock one? Will there be any more induction noise/ gained hp or is it a waste of money?

I have a K&N in my '85 and a stock in my '95 I honestly cannot tell a difference as far as noise is concerned. I have never heard of gained HP by adding a K&N the only real benefit that I see is that you wont need to buy air filters for a very long time. But Im no expert either just an avid VMax enthusiast.

Thats all I needed to hear. Probably just go with a stock one for the price difference. Thanks for your knowledge

Hello Pitt,
Raising up the "Y" and trimingthe top of the filter to fit can actually be worth a bit of hp. The "Y" is an inlet restriction in the upper RPM range--- but if you remove it there is a flat spot off idle. Thus raising the "Y" .

Lew

Yeah it's worth it because of reusability. It'll last as long as the bike. New stock filters are $40 if I remember right and should change every year.

Worth every penny.....will last the lifetime of your vehicle.
And you never have to clean the darn thing unless you live in Saudi.
I have one in my max and xj550....pods on my fx....and in my accord and suv.

Yes they are well worth it. Clean, re-oil and reuse forever. Not too heavy on the oil though. I had one "shrink" on me once. I called K&N and they sent me a new one, no questions asked and did not even ask for the old one back.

Yes, I agree w/the others. I have a stock K&N replacement; four K&N pods for the stage 7 Dynojet I have yet to install (I bought a used set of carbs already DJ stage 7-equipped off another member to swap-in, one day; & have two different 4/1's, will be experimenting), and also have K&N pods for my FZR1000.

Make sure everything is scrupulously-clean, as was mentioned, go light on the oil! If you don't you will be having to remove & clean your carbs. The media (gauze) should not be red, it should have a very faint 'pink' tint to it, anything more than that & your bike will run like S___ & you will need to remove & clean your carbs of the excess oil.

As was mentioned, they will last the life of your bike, unless you run too-much NOS & catch them on-fire from back-pressure!

Sean has a used one? Sounds like a deal waiting to happen.

+1

I've got K&N on the Vmax and in the Dodge and hawkmobile.
They have already paid for themselves, but cleaning and reusing.

Hello Pitt,
Raising up the "Y" and trimingthe top of the filter to fit can actually be worth a bit of hp. The "Y" is an inlet restriction in the upper RPM range--- but if you remove it there is a flat spot off idle. Thus raising the "Y" .

Lew

I like the K&n filter for longevity, though after several cleanings & oilings they get out of shape. Not to much $ on E-bay.
I've read it flows more air,(needs extra sealing on top too. But, show me dyno results. I removed the Y with stage 1 needles and managed to run well but burning way more fuel with minimum gain. i've settled with Y 3/8" shimmed, 150 mains, stock needles shimmed .032, stock springs tied 3 coils up.Pilot needles 3-31/4 turns out,I like this set up for now, no flat spots.Good acceleration. Good milage-when no fun
rofl_200.gif
Titanium needles on hand for some other day's fiddling.
Steve-o

Last edited:
What is raising the Y? Is that a mod on the standard airbox that can easily be done with little knowledge?

On top of the air box there is a "Y" shaped plastic inlet. I used some thick foam cut to 1/4"x1/2" to raise the "Y" and inlarge the inlet as much as possible and still keep the "Y" in place.( You'll need longer screws) It you remove the "Y" you'll get a flat spot at low speeds but a bit more go on top.

Check out www.V-Maxoutlaw.com and go to the tech section.

Lew

Last edited:
Back