Jetting!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max03

Reaction score
Just installed a holeshot 4-2 exhaust, i also have the stage one kit, and was wondering what configurations you guys came up with for tuning? For a baseline its recommended to put in 155 mains and one shim under the needles to get started! Also has anyone taken off the Y on their air box with good results?

Return the stage 1. What's your altitude? Friend had the same setup and had best results with stock needles and 147.5 main jets.

Return the stage 1. What's your altitude? Friend had the same setup and had best results with stock needles and 147.5 main jets.

Im in upstate New York! I thought the vmax was tuned lean out of the factory? It had 152.5 which im assuming was stock!

Im in upstate New York! I thought the vmax was tuned lean out of the factory? It had 152.5 which im assuming was stock!

Mains are set for sea level so would be rich everywhere else. Idle circuit is set lean from factory.

Not to bust into this thread, but if the idle circuit is set rich from factory, how come every vmax I have ever been around stink like raw fuel at idle?? Not trying to be a smart a$$, just wondering.

That stink is lean. Leaness has a smell too. If you look at a dyno, the a/f ratio at idle shows around 17:1.

did i already ask where in upstate you are?

I ran 155's and shimmed the stock needles up one and it ran 122bhp last summer with his exhaust.

Is it Dales stage 1 or DJ's stage one? If it's Dales you'll be OK.

If I did it again I'd have just kept the stock 152.5's and shimmed the stock needle one.

I ran 155's and shimmed the stock needles up one and it ran 122bhp last summer with his exhaust.

Is it Dales stage 1 or DJ's stage one? If it's Dales you'll be OK.

If I did it again I'd have just kept the stock 152.5's and shimmed the stock needle one.

Its Dales kit! Why if you had to do it all over again would you have kept the stock 152.5? Did it run rich? I just put the 155's in last night, haven't shimmed the needles yet, i need a tamper proof torx bit!

Max03, you can get them at Harbor Freight or Ace hardware for cheap.

I would take a locking pliers to remove and replace it with a normal screw.

Try it with the 155's and see how it runs. It'll be close for sure. Dales kit is actually VERY simple and works great IMO.

Are you running the K&N too? Remove the Y shim the needles one and turn the A/F screws out 3.5-4 turns.

Seneca Falls is only 450ft above sea level so that should get you pretty close.

Make sure you sync the carbs when done.

Chris

Its Dales kit! Why if you had to do it all over again would you have kept the stock 152.5? Did it run rich? I just put the 155's in last night, haven't shimmed the needles yet, i need a tamper proof torx bit!

If you have regular Torx tools, just use a punch to break off the pin and you are ok. I did that then replaced all the screws with allen head SS screws.

How many shims do you recommend. I one have one in to raise the needles, the kit comes with 3 shims per carb! Im also running a k/n air filter. I took if for a spin and it seems a bit lazy in the mid and top, any ideas?

The torx bolts were the least troublesome of the 16, I had to use a ez out on 8 or 9 of the other 12. All are replaced with nice SS allen heads now! :thumbs up:

How many shims do you recommend. I one have one in to raise the needles, the kit comes with 3 shims per carb! Im also running a k/n air filter. I took if for a spin and it seems a bit lazy in the mid and top, any ideas?

On the top would be your main... Mid would be the needle... Try spacing up one more and going down one on the main now.

The best thing is to find out what the A/F is with a dyno. It'd be nice to know for sure how it's running and where it's lean or rich.

Chris

Back