just wanted to say hi to everyone.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxjr

Reaction score
i didn't see anywhere to introduce myself so i thought i would post here.
my name is steve and i just bought my first v max.
i bought an 1985 that is low numbered. #643 to be exact.
so far it's different that my kz's. lots of low end torgue. takes a little getting used to.
i currently have 7 bikes in my garage. all kz's with the exception of the v max and a little 100 cc honda pit bike.
i've been doing a lot of reading waiting for my membership to be approrved.
i think i know a couple answers but i just want to confirm here if i could.

# 1
front end is squirly. the po had narrow bars on it so those were tossed right away. i had it on the centerstand and nothing is loose in the front end but i did feel a little howl in the wheel bearings so i went ahead and changed them. problem is still there. stem bearings were done 3 years ago. could they have gone bad all ready?
it kind of pulls right and when you correct it, it pulls left a little . weird.

# 2
shifts REAL hard sometimes. it's all i can do sometimes to upshift. and when it does that i have to almost stand on the shifter to down shift.
i'm not talking about a little extra effort, i mean it takes all i got to move the lever.

# 3
cannot find neutral at all when running. i need to shut it down to find neutral.

# 4
sounds like a damn harley when i'm cruising and hit the gas.
( i'm not really a harley fan. i bought a better bike for less than half the cost.)

those are the only things i don't like about her.

so thanks for taking the time to read this long first post.

pictures will be posted tomorrow during the daylight.
i know from being a member of and a moderator to different websights that we are all picture whores. :biglaugh:

Welcome!! I also have a low numbered '85 with #258.

#1 Sounds like your stem bearings are probably too tight.

#'s 2and 3 Sound like the shift segment. You can upgrade to newer style for around $50 IIRC . Or maybe your clutch isn't releasing all the way.

#4 Not a problem as long as it doesn't run like a Harley :biglaugh:

Hello and welcome to our site! It looks like Mo has a handle on your questions already.
A good aftermarket pipe (Mark's, Kerker or Holeshot) will give you a even more unique sound than the stock pipes plus kick up the power a notch too.
You are correct sir, we are picture whores, so as soon as you can please do post some!
:ttiwwp:
:biglaugh:

Welcome Steve, you just found the best Max site in the world! You got questions everyone here's got the answers :)

About yer '85..

# 1
front end is squirly. the po had narrow bars on it so those were tossed right away. i had it on the centerstand and nothing is loose in the front end but i did feel a little howl in the wheel bearings so i went ahead and changed them. problem is still there. stem bearings were done 3 years ago. could they have gone bad all ready?
it kind of pulls right and when you correct it, it pulls left a little . weird.

Ya that means your stem bearings are adjusted too tight. Do a search here on 'the bounce test' - that's full instructions on how to tighten those castle nuts correctly.
# 2
shifts REAL hard sometimes. it's all i can do sometimes to upshift. and when it does that i have to almost stand on the shifter to down shift.
i'm not talking about a little extra effort, i mean it takes all i got to move the lever.
That sure sounds like your tranny dogs are worn. However, it could also be that your clutch is binding, that you're using the wrong oil or that your shifter needs adjusting.
# 3
cannot find neutral at all when running. i need to shut it down to find neutral.
Again that tells me your clutch isn't disengaging fully. I would first bleed the clutch hydraulic circuit and replace the fluid. Please note that on a Max, you can't just bleed the clutch like you would bleed brakes. You need either a MightyVac or to reverse-bleed using a syringe to push the fluid in from the bleed nipple. Trust me I know from experience lol..

Another trick about finding neutral: with the motor running and the box in first, let the clutch out a tiny bit - just enough for the bike to start creeping - with your foot at the same time putting a little up pressure on the shifter, and it'll pop right into neutral. More often than not, you just need the bike to move an inch or two and it'll pop into neutral easily. You can also do this from 2nd gear as you're coming to a stop.
# 4
sounds like a damn harley when i'm cruising and hit the gas.
( i'm not really a harley fan. i bought a better bike for less than half the cost.)
ermm.. No. It sounds like TWO harleys! hahaha

:punk: Hey Steve, change the oil to a good motorcycle oil and you will have no trouble finding neutral. I think the other guys noted cures for the other problems. Welcome to the site, Spurs

been away for awhile.
just a little update.
had the max in the shop, lcr performance specalizes in v max's. he is a master.
anyway, he did change the shift segment to the newer style, oil change, steering stem bearings, replaced the center stand, fixed the wiring on the fuel sending unit , rebuilt the clutch master and a general check over.
she rides like she is supposed to now. no more squirelly feeling now.
i still can't catch neutral while running but she shifts nice now.
all said and done, $700. bought me a fsm. if i can fix my kz i can muttle my way through this bike as well.

i am still running a stock exhaust since a kerker is so expensive.
he says the stock cams are good cams if you degree them.
it has a stage 7 kit and k and n's on it.
what else can i do to squeeze a little more power out of her?
will a kerker wake he up that much?
on my kz the kerker did improve it but it was also only $100 off e-bay.
$1000 is a lot for just a little gain.

doing the chain conversion is out of the question for now. lcr said it's about $5000 for him to do it.

love the bike but i really should have did a little more research into how much it is to make them fly.

and btw, i can't seem to get pictures to load.

Great to hear you got things pretty much ironed out.
Generally Jet kits offer very little gaines with the stock, restrictive exhaust. A kerker, Marks or whomever would wake the bike up with your stage 7.
Check around for used systems, they're out there. I got my Kerker in great shape used for just under $700.

welcome, jr ;] you've found the right place for all the help and ideas you'll need!

hope this worked for picture loading.
100_1690.JPG

100_1691 - Copy.JPG

100_1692.JPG

100_1695.JPG

100_1694.JPG

holy cow! i finally figured out how to load pictures here! that will help me a ton.
as you can see the po liked chrome as much as i do.
so far the only issues i have this spring is it needs a battery (of course) and i need to source a fuel relay. it only works on reserve right now.
i was told it's the relay by the garage but i'm too cheap to pay $160 for a relay when i can wire one in myself for $10.

still looking for a cheaper exhaust like a kerker if anyone has a lead for me.
with the stage 7 kit, k and n's, the barnett clutch and all i'm hoping the exhaust will do for me what i want. besides giving me that small block sound.

i'm not going to lie. there has been a couple hiccups along the way and i even considered selling her.
i was offered enough to make a $1600 profit from what i paid and have into her. good thing common sense prevailed.

well, sorry i'm so long winded.
just wanted to share pictures since i now know how.
i'll take pictures with a better camera when it's nicer out.

Last edited:
Welcome to the addiction whichis the Vmax. There is no cure. Yeah you gotta get that thing exhaling better. Contact CaptainKyle on this site. I know he has a Stainless Kerker 4-2-1 that will rock your socks. Priced way u der $700 bucks too. Tell him Patmax sent you. You'll pay ten dollars extra! Just kidding. He is a good supplier of parts and advice. Love the look of the bike. Wait till you get to ride with 6 to 10 other Maxes at the same time. You'll have to take my word on this. As af as your VMOA membership goes, don't sweat it. Once you're paid your in. Nobody is denied entry. Well, Nobody is denied but that's a whole nuther can a wurms!
There is a place for newbies to say hello but we don't care how you do it. Just glad to see another sicko. If you got an 85, there is a thread for you to register your last four VIN numbers and it looks like you are a super early bike. Just remember one thing.... My bike is better than your bike!
Enjoy, PATMAX

hey how ya doin? so you say you're running a stock exhaust with dj stage7. i was wondering if your exhaust has been modded, because the dj stage 7 installation notes has a blurb explaining which main to use based on whether you have a modded, slip-on, or full-up exhaust system. if you already know this then forgive me for farting above my ass, but in case you don't--if have a look at the back end of your exhaust and see 5 half-inch-or-so holes in a star pattern, then you're modded. if you see an end cap, but are able to see it "standing off" of the 5 holes, then you're modded. if you are able to push a wooden dowel down the center hole for about a foot or so more, then you're modded.

Last edited:
Back