Let's talk swing arms

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatslide

Reaction score
Will a kind soul offer to me a quick dose of swing arm knowlegge? How will bracing a stock one compare to whatever the benefit of one 3" longer than stock? Is it like, install a frame brace, mod your swing arm, and you won't wobble anytime soon? You have a swing arm extended 3" because?????

I am sure that those with significantly more experience will show up soon, but it was my understanding that lengthening the swing arm is not so much for the handling but to allow the bike to hook up better on launch. You can use a stickier tire without so much of the worry of your front wheel heading skyward.

The bracing of the stock swingarm adds rigity to it and keeps it from flexing during cornering which can lead to a very squirly feeling if you hit any sort of bumps or undulations in the road surface.

I would think that for practical purposes you would just leave the stock length and brace.

If you are going that route I would also do solid motor mounts or a frame brace to sure up the front half of the bike. If you are doing the mods one at a time, I think the biggest bang for the buck is doing the front first. Motor mounts are the least expensive option at around $100.

-Frame brace and braced swing arm=less flex IN TURNS...so youre beefing up for in the twists

-long swing arm means bigger tire and longer drive system for drag and show.

The demographic and what kinda rider you are determines what you preffer.
But at this point extended swing arms are probably more stable than the stock one because they are so well made.Personally I cant afford either but wouldnt mind a nice braced arm!

I noticed that bracing mine really helped mine on the launch it did'nt how to say do the side step when the back tire breaks loose.Just straight ahead now. as for notch its just alows you to run a wider tire. I may be selling mine it was done by PCW .I think going to upgrade to the 3" do to a 1500 mtr. JIM

So the swingarm mod is either bracing, notching for a wider tire, or both?
And how much does this run?

From the Morley's Muscle site:

Braced only – $125-$175 (depending on what you want for a brace) The 1?2 box tubing is super stout and is the higher charge.

Notched and Braced $175-250 (again depending on brace type)

Powder Coating $100 (plus we suggest new bearings if you do that). Paint $100 but you don’t need new bearings (I normally do not suggest paint in this location on the bike). Chrome – Inquire.

3″ Extended, Notched, Braced – $500 (does not include driveshaft or coating and is with shocks relocated 3″ back – this will lower the bike 2-2.5″ and is what you see in the pictures). Depending on the tire/wheel combination used this can cause fender clearance concerns. We can offer an offset shock bracket for an additional fee.
6″ Extneded, Notched, Braced, Shock relocation, Mono, ect… – $600 and up.

Hey don't for get when you go longer on your swing arm you can modify the fuel tank so it will hold more fuel for those long runs.

Scooter

I am sure that those with significantly more experience will show up soon, but it was my understanding that lengthening the swing arm is not so much for the handling but to allow the bike to hook up better on launch. You can use a stickier tire without so much of the worry of your front wheel heading skyward.

I still pull the front end up on hard launches with a 3" extended arm. The downside is my tire rubs the fender a little when I hit it hard, though I plan to try and do some adjusting to avoid rubbing in the future.

Thanks to all of you for the brief tutorial! In my world I won't launch this MAX from a stoplight any time soon. I have delrin mounts, courtesy of the previous owner, so I'm learning what I can about handling tweaks. Any machine that was conceived as a brutish straight line motorcycle, could use some handling help. Go team...........

Back