light oil leak at front cylinder head cover gasket

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmax9

Reaction score
I have a little bit of oil leaking from the front cylinder's head cover gasket (both sides, just the front of the gasket nearest front tire). As seen in the attachment, right at the #28 and again on the opposite side of the engine.

Initial speculation from dealer is $400 to replace gasket. Do I REALLY have to remove air box, etc. to change this? Is it something fairly simply that I could do? I'm willing to put in the time and muscle to remove/replace the air box, etc. to get to the cylinder head if it is a relatively easy gasket replacement. I don't want to do all the labor and then discover the gasket replacement is more complicated than I had hoped.

Input?

Thanks in advance,
Derek

Attachments

• front cylinder head gasket.png
    front cylinder head gasket.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 54
Its quite a bit of work as you have to remove carbs, airbox, etc. While you are there you might as well do the valves too. Pretty common leak and that's why my valves got done 5k miles early. If its not too bad it should be able to wait until the off season.

Yep, I have the same symptoms, but now the rear cylinder is exhibiting the same signs. Bike has 45k miles and I'm pretty sure the PO didnt reshim the first scheduled, so I will be reshimming the valves while I am at it. I also am taking advantage of the situation and replacing the valve covers with a set of polished ones. as soon as have the covers polished and a couple of weekends, I will be asking Sean to borrow his shim kit (HINT HINT)

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Last edited:
My 85 has a leak on the rear coverlike that and when I installed the Morley jet kit, the extra vent reduced the pressure enough that the leak has all but stopped.

The valve cover gaskets you are talking about aren't the easiest things to replace. BUT, far from impossible. It can be done with the carbs in place but it's a lot easier with them out.

Sean

Before replacing the gasket you would loose little by lifting the covers, de-greasing around the leak area and then apply a thin seam of silicon sealer.

I fitted some non OE cam cover gaskets and had a leak around a couple of the half moon sections.

I replaced the rear with an OE jobbe ('cos it's a straitforward job) and applied some silicon to the front gasket ('cos it's twat to get at) which also sealed.

Thanks all for the replies (and PM Sean).

I cleaned up the oil, tightened things a bit, took her for a 20+ mile ride, and had very little leaking - less than a drop's worth.

I have 20,000 miles on the engine so i'm thinking i'll keep a rag handy to wipe of any leaked oil, squirt a bit of WD40 to salvage any remaining life in gaskets, and then add some silicone sealant if needed to hold her over until the 26,600 mile service.

Latest posts

Back