Lithium ion battery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might want to read this:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcy...ai-vs-ballistic-li-ion-motorcycle-battery.htm

Conclusion
It's difficult to determine a winner in this comparison. Yes, the LFP batteries are lighter, and they do seem to provide more starting power for the bike, at least more than the OE BikeMaster battery.
Are the LFP batteries worth nearly 4 times as much as the BikeMaster lead-acid battery? Probably not. The more energetic starting performance as illustrated in the chart above is an advantage, but the unknown here is how the LFP types would compare to a lead-acid battery with more "Cold-Cranking Amps" than the BikeMaster.
Given the problems reported above for the OE battery, the fact remains that when the BikeMaster was kept on the same maintenance routine as the other bikes in the garage, the Suzuki started with no problems and runs fine.
The bottom line here is that there just isn't enough data, information or experience available to determine anything like a winner and there are many questions remaining about the life expectancy, use over time, long-term reliability, ruggedness (considering the very flimsy terminals on the Shorai) and performance when electrical gear is in use on the bike. LFP was apparently discovered relatively recently, in 1996, and the manufacturers are still working out the details of implementation.
We would very much like to hear from other motorcyclists who have installed these types of batteries in their rides.
Yes, it's fun and cool to have a tiny little <1kg battery in the bike. It's an amazing piece of technology, no doubt. But the real-world benefits just aren't that clear. The bike starts and runs just as expected. There's no "Aha" moment here -- but there is somewhat of a jolt when the credit card bill arrives.
LFP and Li-Ion battery technology for motorcycle use is so new that there isn't a lot of information to use for comparison, while lead-acid batteries have been around for 152 years and counting. Thus, it may be some time before Li-Ion technology evolves and stabilizes, experience is gained and prices drop, which will possibly help make the decision easier.
We need to use the bike with this battery for at least one year, and we'll have to see how the Shorai performs over time. The weight loss is impressive, but not noticeable in the reality of street riding.

I personally used the Panasonic LC-X1220P (UB12180) SLA-AGM Battery (18 Ah - 283 CCA) vs Stock Yuasa YB16AL-A2 (16 AH - 200 CCA).
I paid $42 for and it's been in my Vmax for almost 6 years now and is still going Strong.
http://www.apexbattery.com/panasonic...batteries.html
I just can't see paying $140-190 for a Battery when a $42 Battery works just as well IMO.
I trickle charge it for a few hours, every few weeks over the Winter but I never bother during the riding season.

Hey, for me, I think a lead-acid battery is too-much. I use a Leyden Jar and coils of copper wire.

Then again, I think the term I used, vanity battery, is a good one. Bragging rights, just like a Panigale Ducati. A Purdy shotgun. A Lakeshore Drive co-op in Chicago for 3 seasons, and an Ocean Drive condo on South Beach in Miami Beach for the fourth (within walking-distance of Joe's Stone Crabs, where the maitre d' knows you). Not for everyone, not really the cheapest way to go, not by a long-shot, but it works for you. Define yourself, by your battery:rofl_200:You want cheap & practical, buy your skivvies at KMart. I prefer silk boxers made-to-order in Kowloon. And a vanity battery.

Excuse me, Brooklyn Decker is on call-waiting. Got to go. Living on South Beach does have its privileges.

images

and for those who are nervous about the Lithium battery "fire" scare, these are NOT traditional Lithium Ion batteries, these are LiFe batteries.
This is from Ballistic's FAQ:

Is there a danger of a Ballistic Performance Components EVO2 battery exploding and catching fire?
No. The lithium ferrous phosphate used in the EVO2 battery is very stable and exhibits none of the thermal run away properties of Lithium Polymer batteries found in lap tops or phones. It would take extraordinary circumstances and abuse such as overcharging to the extreme to cause a lithium ferrous phosphate battery to melt down

I love my Ballistic battery, its small and light... I had to use a smaller battery to make space for my nitrous kit and it works perfectly and starts my bike easily.. It was kinda expensive but worth it in my opinion

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

and for those who are nervous about the Lithium battery "fire" scare, these are NOT traditional Lithium Ion batteries, these are LiFe batteries.
This is from Ballistic's FAQ:

Is there a danger of a Ballistic Performance Components EVO2 battery exploding and catching fire?
No. The lithium ferrous phosphate used in the EVO2 battery is very stable and exhibits none of the thermal run away properties of Lithium Polymer batteries found in lap tops or phones. It would take extraordinary circumstances and abuse such as overcharging to the extreme to cause a lithium ferrous phosphate battery to melt down

Not in the way Brooklyn Decker can cause a melt-down, which happens much-more easily!:rofl_200:

images
images
images
images

QUESTION for those who installed the 12-cell Ballistic battery:
Even though the battery box bulged a little, did it fit?
Also, did the 12-cell Ballistic move the terminals where they would touch the coil bracket?

It fit just fine, just a little bulging but everything still fit the way it should

QUESTION for those who installed the 12-cell Ballistic battery:
Even though the battery box bulged a little, did it fit?
Also, did the 12-cell Ballistic move the terminals where they would touch the coil bracket?

Mine fit fine, like a size too-small jeans you should throw in the donation bin. No coil bracket interference.

"Is that a Ballistic battery in your box, or are ya just happy to see me?" :rofl_200:
images

Latest posts

Back