Lithium ion battery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, just got this today, an amazing difference between this and a traditional lead-acid battery. See for yourself the weight difference!

It has 12 cells and retails for $189.95, has the equivalent to a 20 amp/hr conventional battery, and has 410 cold-cranking amperes! The designation for this one is 12 Cell EV02. Parts Unlimited carries them now, Ballistic Performance Components part # for it is 2113-0260.

I could put this into my Accord and run it w/no problem! it is about the footprint of a paperback and doesn't weigh much more!

As far as fitting it into the VMax, you can cram it into the middle of the battery box, it will bulge the front & back out, but doing Sean's box mod will help it to fit better. They even ship it w/closed-cell foam so you can cut the foam to fit your battery box space.

I ordered it from my friend's motorcycle accessory shop in Dania Beach FL.
The address is: compcyclecenter.com
If you are looking for clothing, boots, gloves, helmets, communication systems, etc they have it and they offer good pricing. Of course they also sell tires, batteries, brakes, pipes, oils, chemicals and other performance and replacement stuff. I have been doing business w/the owner, Steve, for > 30 years. If you live in south FL and have never been there, you will wonder why it took you so-long to begin shopping there in-person.

Attachments

• lead-acid battery weight.jpg
    lead-acid battery weight.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 296
  • Li-ion battery weight.jpg
    Li-ion battery weight.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 313
  • Li-ion battery box.jpg
    Li-ion battery box.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 223
Looking at the third picture, on the cardboard box, there appears to be a narrower, longer version more like the max original battery?

Looking at the third picture, on the cardboard box, there appears to be a narrower, longer version more like the max original battery?

That may be a fewer # of cells. I don't know for sure. It will fit the stock box, it just bulges the front & rear like I said. I am having to trace down electrical gremlins so I can't say "wow, the earth spun backwards, it puts-out so-much energy when I hit the starter!"

OK, just got this today, an amazing difference between this and a traditional lead-acid battery. See for yourself the weight difference!

It has 12 cells and retails for $189.95, has the equivalent to a 20 amp/hr conventional battery, and has 410 cold-cranking amperes! The designation for this one is 12 Cell EV02. Parts Unlimited carries them now, Ballistic Performance Components part # for it is 2113-0260.

I could put this into my Accord and run it w/no problem! it is about the footprint of a paperback and doesn't weigh much more!

As far as fitting it into the VMax, you can cram it into the middle of the battery box, it will bulge the front & back out, but doing Sean's box mod will help it to fit better. They even ship it w/closed-cell foam so you can cut the foam to fit your battery box space.

I ordered it from my friend's motorcycle accessory shop in Dania Beach FL.
The address is: compcyclecenter.com
If you are looking for clothing, boots, gloves, helmets, communication systems, etc they have it and they offer good pricing. Of course they also sell tires, batteries, brakes, pipes, oils, chemicals and other performance and replacement stuff. I have been doing business w/the owner, Steve, for > 30 years. If you live in south FL and have never been there, you will wonder why it took you so-long to begin shopping there in-person.

Thanks for the link Firemedic, for the guys looking to shed every last bit of weight off their bike this is a great option! Hell I wanna say I paid about $100 for the big sealed battery on mine a year and a half ago so it's not terribly more expensive. I think I'll be going this route when I'm due for a battery :punk:

It would be super easy to build a new battery box to fit that. However it would be out of aluminum , or atleast that is how I would build it.

g

We just started receiving something similar at work. They come in 2 sizes, retail for 110 and 150, have 2 year warranty's and both weigh less than 2 lbs. It's awesome. Sucks I just picked up a new lead-acid for my R1, otherwise I'd hop all over it.

I went to the junkyard & got some thinsheet AL so maybe I will visit my friend w/a TIG welder & have him do some fabbing for me.

I have a buddy that does fab work for his company called LowBrow Customs and they have used some Lithium ion Polymer batteries in bikes that I saw at this years Mid Ohio event. pretty cool stuff this is a link to their site
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/
The batteries that I saw were I believe from http://tekbattery.com/
I am seriously thinking of converting to them. There is no down side unless they catch fire...Then whatever they are in is screwed for sure. My buddy in Dallas had one in a jet that he built when it failed on a turbine start up it was insane!!! I have never seen so much carbon fiber and kevlar burn so fast!! There was no putting it out until in was finished burning.

This material is in the public domain but is related to the industries using the products, those manufacturing and transporting the products, and those who will deal with logistics of incidents where Li-ion battery products are present:

http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/pdf/research/lithiumionbatteryproceedings.pdf

Knowledge: the defense of those who prepare for the unknown, unforseen, or unexpected.

I have a buddy that does fab work for his company called LowBrow Customs and they have used some Lithium ion Polymer batteries in bikes that I saw at this years Mid Ohio event. pretty cool stuff this is a link to their site
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/
The batteries that I saw were I believe from http://tekbattery.com/
I am seriously thinking of converting to them. There is no down side unless they catch fire...Then whatever they are in is screwed for sure. My buddy in Dallas had one in a jet that he built when it failed on a turbine start up it was insane!!! I have never seen so much carbon fiber and kevlar burn so fast!! There was no putting it out until in was finished burning.

Can't remember what I bought off LowBrow, but when it came it had a card that said something like "The only thing worth looking at on facebook - lowbrow customs".

I love seeing their stuff and what they are doing. I'm definately a fan of theirs. :biglaugh:

Can't remember what I bought off LowBrow, but when it came it had a card that said something like "The only thing worth looking at on facebook - lowbrow customs".

I love seeing their stuff and what they are doing. I'm definately a fan of theirs. :biglaugh:

I see them once or twice a year. Great bunch of guys for sure. This summer I sold the a 50's cigarette machine that they were going to do something custom with. I cant wait to get an email with a pic of it. Mike D. that owns their partner company Biltwell is also a master builder in my personal opinion. Lowbrow is a small family company snd trust me they care about what they put out to people. Their motto "Proud tro be a Lowbrow Weirdo" rings true if you ever get the chance to meet them.

I have a shop performing some maintenance on my bike this week. 16k service (lots of things I don't have the tools or the sit stand to accomplish. I've asked them to replace my battery with one of these. It has had issues cranking in cold weather and about a week ago I got stuck because I couldn't get enough amps out the battery. Hopefully this new battery will solve that problem. The shop tech said something about my needing to attempt to start the bike once and if it doesn't start with the li-ion battery, wait a moment because the initial attempt will trigger it to warm up on its own.

Anyone familiar with this?

Aviation has been using these for a while. Emergency and redundancy are key in planes. Sized about half carton of cigarettes. Usually carried in the flight bag. Big plus is they do not discharge on their own for a long time. Each cell is 3.7 volts so 4 cells minimum for 12v systems.

I picked up the 8 cell version that ballistic makes as it fits a lot better, i looked up the cranking power first and even with the 8 cell version it still has close to 80 more cold crank amps then stock, i rode the bike all day today and didn't have any problems, install was super easy, just cut some of the foam that came in the box and stuffed it around the battery.

I just purchased this Ballistic battery on amazon.com for $159.95 free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Ballistic-Performance-Evo2-Battery-100-012L/dp/B0068EQT7A
I like this over the shorai as it has a warranty and the shorai didn't state anywhere that it did.

I did use the tool at http://ballisticparts.com/ to find the battery they recommended for the V-max and it was the one linked at amazon. I say heck, it may be double the price, but giving me up to 10 years of trouble free use is a plus in my mind.

Back