Looking for input/advice on my saddle bag

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falaholic

Reaction score
Decided to go ahead and purchase these saddle bags: Custom Bilt (Large) .

Quality and craftmanship on these bags is between 'eh' and :barf:.
Stitching is there, but threads are everywhere, but hey, 5 year warranty. Yea, I'm sure I'll be using it.

So here is what they look like just draped on the back:

FzNRWRd.jpg

Few questions I have for the vets, is fitting and will it work.

Here's what I'm facing:
The exhaust touches the bag.

ZxwVBQn.jpg

Here's how I have it draped:

ZtoLhIM.jpg

Cant see how I can get it to nestle under the rear seat, due to the hook/mount:

Fr5mSHz.jpg

Yes I do have hard bag mounts, and I believe they are for Fat Max saddle bags, but I do not have $700 for the bags.

So I wanted to ask the hive, how should I go about with this.
Drill holes in the bags to mount them to the hard mounts?
Will the bags sitting just an inch or two above the exhaust keep the bags from bursting into flames and causing me to conduct a scene straight out of Memphis Belle?
Is it possible to put the yoke of the bags underneath the seat?

Any and all opinions welcome. If you have another approach for me to take, I'm all ears and have the option to return these if your solution is better.

All depends on if you are willing to alter the bags by drilling holes, altering straps, etc., or if you want to keep the bags untouched, like virgins, in case you have to return them. Altered goods are often deemed nonreturnable, or the warranty is voided.
Me? I'd take a chance and consider the bags to be "keepers", especially considering the small investment. Given that, I would adapt the bags to fit the brackets, which would the most secure way to mount them. This would probably involve drilling and tapping the brackets to accept bolts, and then drilling holes thru the bags in the corresponding locations. Wingnuts and rubber washers could be used for waterproofing, and quick on/off.
Are you planning on leaving the bags on the bike for the duration of your trips, or do you want to be able to take them off to carry into motel rooms or tents?
Mounting with bolts should allow you to gain the height required to clear the pipes.
If you go ahead and alter the bags, you could rivet pieces of aluminum or stainless sheet metal to the bottoms, for extra protection against heat, as well to stiffen up the shape of the bags.
Please shoot a few more pics, showing the bag mounts and maybe a bag perched on the back seat, to give an idea about the dimensions involved.
Cheers!

This is the best that I can do at this time:

ypFHkGy.jpg

v07GJAQ.jpg

d7qPotp.jpg

6wll9db.jpg

qI30AeM.jpg

I would like to keep the bags, as I need some cargo capacity for Thunder.
You are thinking of an external cradle, I was thinking of an internal cradle, in the shape of an L. I'll give it some thought, but what are you opinions on either or. I would like the ability to unzip the bags from the yoke and just carry them like luggage, and the wing nut idea is good.

This is the best that I can do at this time:

ypFHkGy.jpg

v07GJAQ.jpg

d7qPotp.jpg

6wll9db.jpg

qI30AeM.jpg

You are thinking of an external cradle, I was thinking of an internal cradle, in the shape of an L. I'll give it some thought, but what are you opinions on either or. I would like the ability to unzip the bags from the yoke and just carry them like luggage, and the wing nut idea is good.

PM Maxcruiser since he has a very nice setup for bags that look like yours.

An internal cradle would add to the bag's weight, if you plan on carrying them in.
I'd go external. Maybe forward and rear "L" Brackets, with a stabilizing bar between them, or as previously mentioned, a full-width solid metal bottom to serve as a heat shield. None of this will be showing, when the bags are in place.
Can't really tell, but it looks like those pins on the top of the bag brackets are drilled out, maybe for cotter pins? That would be an even easier/quicker way to mount the bags. With a solid bottom, you could also put a pin or bolt attachment down below.
I use soft saddlebags when my bike is set up for touring. They stay in place all the time. I have a bottom L-bracket/securing bolt arrangement for them, with the head of the bolt being fitted with a key-ring thingy. I often use this as an attachment point for bungee cords, either to secure other stuff or extra support for the bags, when they are filled to capacity.
Looks like the bags will sit higher, if you tighten up the carrying yoke to it's minimum. Me? I'd cut the yoke off completely, if using a framework to mount them. This would be a much cleaner look, and easier on a passenger's ass. Just carry the bags by the handles.
Post some pics of your finished project. Cheers!

Here's an old thread on how I mounted my saddlebags.

Been using this set up for years and never had an issue.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=2478&highlight=Muscle+tourer

All depends on whether or not you want to modify the bags that you have. It will probably kill the warranty if you ever an issue with the bags.

By bolting them on, you will have more flexibility on mounting them so that they are not to close to pipes and far enough to allow for passenger, etc...

Mike

I just read your post.
By chance do you have pics of your large bags installed?

this what I used. my bags are hard plastic on the back side so I bought some wire straps that have rubber strips on them and drilled the bags as needed and mounted with 1/4 -20 bolts with nylon lock nuts. I also left the strap over the top op of my seat. good luck ,bill
71745.jpg

I just read your post.
By chance do you have pics of your large bags installed?

This is the best that I can do. As you see, I don't take too many pictures. :confused2:

Mike

Attachments

• Washaga 2011 pic4.jpg
    Washaga 2011 pic4.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Washaga 2011 pic1.jpg
    Washaga 2011 pic1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Washaga 2011 pic2.jpg
    Washaga 2011 pic2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts