Lost tach, water temp gauge, blinkers....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thevmaxrider

Reaction score
I am going to be looking at an electrical issue that popped up a couple of weeks ago tonight and am hoping for some ideas as to what has happened.

Symptoms:

1) No blinkers
2) Tach stopped working
3) Water temp gauge stopped working
4) Neutral light stopped working

Those are the only indications I have of the issue. I do know that all are fed electrically from the brown keyed power wire either directly or indirectly through a relay. I have power in the brown wire because my A/F gauge and probe are fed from that wire as well. Funny thing is I had been having issues with my A/F gauge not working and it started working when the others shut off:confused2: The only maintenance that I did right before the issue started was synching my throttle bodies which should have had no effect on the electrical system. Am thinking I may have accidently unplugged a connection somewhere, but visually I cannot see one that is disconnected. Any ideas would be appreciated.

All of those run off the same fuse (and brown wire as you noted).

Brown wire has power to it at the connector with the red and blue wires (this is where I tapped in for the A/F gauge). Looking at the wiring diagram is there another connector where the power splits or another fuse other than in the main fuse block I am missing?

Will double check the fuse to the signal lights. Just traced the wire in the diagram and it appears that my A/F gauge must be pulling power prior to the fuse and maybe for some reason the fuse looked good when I checked it, but really isn't. Hate electrical issues.

Check my last, another look at the diagram indicates that the problem is after the fuse. My oil level light and fuel level light both turn on in test mode with the key. So my problem has to be a connector somewhere I think. Does the brown wire pass through the blinker relay and back out to the other systems?

Is the power for the electronics only on the a/f tapped in there? Or do you have the power for the O2 sensor heater cicuit tapped there as well?

Might be worth looking at the power requirements for the heater if it's tapped in there, could be getting an undue voltage drop due to too mcuh current?:ummm:

Just thinking out loud...........

Also, I have seen the kickstand relay do some really wierd stuff when it's "making" while the bike is already in gear and rolling, not killing the engine but just plain acting strange....:confused2:

Finally found and fixed my electrical issue:eusa_dance: Decided to start at the fuse block and work my way through the system until I found the culprit. Took all of 5 seconds to note that one of the wires on the bottom of the fuse block didn't look right. Apparently when I checked my fuses earlier in the year I pushed one in and it pushed the wire out the bottom. Pressed the wire/fuse connector back into the fuse block and now have all my gauges etc. back!! Guess I should have started there to begin with!!!!:bang head::bang head::bang head:

Cool, glad you got it fixed...

I found a similair problem on Gigi Hansens (Regional director Michael Hansens wife) bike, everything checked out but it intermittenly was failing, turned out to be a loose connection on the main fuse wire that you couldn't see without pulling the whole fuse module and looking up inside the bottom of it, the plastic was all melted too......

Back