Loud exhaust, low $$, no power loss

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dekberg

Reaction score
I tried a little experiment about a year ago and didn’t want to post anything until I could get Dyno #s to go along with the idea.
I have Dale Walker Holeshot exhaust. I originally took off the slip on mufflers and replaced them with Hedman Hot Tips 17120 exhaust tips. (about $25 each). http://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/17120/10002/-1?parentProductId=
I had to do a small modification to make them “clamp slip ons”. Simply took a Dremel and cut ½ inch slits so it would squeeze/clamp down on the exhaust pipe. If you want the V8 sound that will drive your neighbors batty and have Harley riders asking WTF is that, this is the way to go.
I recently had the engine out and further modified the exhaust by cutting the exhaust just before it angles back to the rear of the bike. Put the tips back on and now the exhaust is angled out the sides.
Now the true test, the Dyno. The best I ever got with the Dale walker slip-ons was 121. With the headman tips I pulled a 122 and was running a little rich at high RPM. (Stage 7, VBoost open). I will post a video so you can hear the sound.
I kept the angled pipes I cut off and had a sleeve welded on each so I can put them back on anytime I want. Right now I can run 3 exhaust setups anytime I want. Dale walker straight out the back, Hedman straight out the back or Hedman angled out the sides.
Cheers,
Darren

Attachments

• exhaust tip.jpg
    exhaust tip.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 919791_466786600072815_1039008808_o.jpg
    919791_466786600072815_1039008808_o.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 173
Now we know what cans UFO used lol (or at least a close copy)

Geez, is that a chromed tank? :th_party39:

Since I have a UFO 4/1 and both the balogna-tip 'shorty' "muffler" (which does little muffling!) and a UFO megaphone for it which is a bit more-subdued, but not-much, I can't wait to hear the total lack of "muffling" this is gonna make! Hide the women and children! I rode mine w/either of those, and then went to a much-bigger can from a liter sportbike, in titanium, big, but quiet. I don't worry as-much passing a cop now.

I might swap it out for Daytona though.

Geez, is that a chromed tank? :th_party39:

Since I have a UFO 4/1 and both the balogna-tip 'shorty' "muffler" (which does little muffling!) and a UFO megaphone for it which is a bit more-subdued, but not-much, I can't wait to hear the total lack of "muffling" this is gonna make! Hide the women and children! I rode mine w/either of those, and then went to a much-bigger can from a liter sportbike, in titanium, big, but quiet. I don't worry as-much passing a cop now.

I might swap it out for Daytona though.

Yes a chromed tank...that's 10 hp by the way...lol. The Hedmans do have a resonator in them for a little baffling. It adds just enough back pressure for no loss of HP. I tried no baffled open tips and it had no giddy up and was obscenely loud.

Too Cool........:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Any chance of a video for sound effect?

Now, I have two of them already, but I do not want anything loud. I would want a side by side comparison of this setup to a stock setup. Also, I am very happy with the power I have, therefor, I have no need to change the jetting from where it is at. If I were to do this, I imagine I would need to change the jetting, so that's a minus for me.

Now, I have two of them already, but I do not want anything loud. I would want a side by side comparison of this setup to a stock setup. Also, I am very happy with the power I have, therefor, I have no need to change the jetting from where it is at. If I were to do this, I imagine I would need to change the jetting, so that's a minus for me.

I have a dyno read for my bike, It's ported and unholy. Graph shows 148 HP at the rear wheel but I hate the pipe. Kerker 4-1. Sounds like a Pensioners fart.

Chris.

I have a dyno read for my bike, It's ported and unholy. Graph shows 148 HP at the rear wheel but I hate the pipe. Kerker 4-1. Sounds like a Pensioners fart.
Don't paint all pensioners with the same brush, my friend.
I'll have you know that my neighbors complain more about my farts, than the noise of my bike.
Cheers!:punk:

Back