Lower Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthair88

Reaction score
Whats the up side/down side of lowering my max? ( 1985 ) how do I do it? and cost?

Good:
Handling
Feet on ground easier

Bad:
Less ground clearance.

Front:
U can drop ur forks in your triples up to 3/4" or so and that's the cheapest as its free. U can get a progressive kit for about $100 and go 1" or 2" lower

Rear:
Tons of rear shock options from .5" lower to 2" lower and between $200 and $500

Good:
Handling
Feet on ground easier

Bad:
Less ground clearance.

Front:
U can drop ur forks in your triples up to 3/4" or so and that's the cheapest as its free. U can get a progressive kit for about $100 and go 1" or 2" lower

Rear:
Tons of rear shock options from .5" lower to 2" lower and between $200 and $500
+1 to all that Garrett said but with one difference: On your '85 you will not be able to lower your forks in the triple tree with out removing the air tube apparatus. You'll have to block the air hole in the forks...possibly with jbweld?

+1 to all that Garrett said but with one difference: On your '85 you will not be able to lower your forks in the triple tree with out removing the air tube apparatus. You'll have to block the air hole in the forks...possibly with jbweld?

I did my 88 with progressive springs and lowering the tunes in the tree. The airhole had to be repaired. It was a small bit of welding to fill the hole, nothing major.

ah yes good point, forgot about the earlier years.

Better handling??? Well that's not entirely true IMO.

What I found from lowering mine is it touched down WAY sooner than it did stock. Now... That being said slow speed handling WAS better as the CG was lower. I have since raised the rear 1 inch which I hope will help as well as speed up my steering as it was VERY lazy before even though I dropped the rear less than the front.

I am 2" in fron and .5" in back now.

Lower DEFINITELY looks cooler but grinding parts isn't cool for me.

Chris

you would have to shorten your kickstand & it makes is very hard to get it up on the center stand !

thats true, i should have said, others report better feeling and handling, but i haven't had enough miles to tell for sure.

Most people also don't work out the kind of deals i did on my suspension so i also have no real money into my suspension

you would have to shorten your kickstand & it makes is very hard to get it up on the center stand !

i also disagree. i found its easier when its lowered.

thats true, i should have said, others report better feeling and handling, but i haven't had enough miles to tell for sure.

Most people also don't work out the kind of deals i did on my suspension so i also have no real money into my suspension

i also disagree. i found its easier when its lowered.
GARRETT OBVIOUSLY YOU WORK OUT , YOUR ARMS ARE AS BIG AS MY WAIST , YOU CAN PROBABLY BENCH PRESS YOUR MAX , SO THE LOWER MINE IS , THE LOT HARDER IT IS FOR ME TO LIFT IT ONTO THE CENTER STAND ! ... FOR CHRIST SAKE , I GET WINDED TAKING A SHIT ! ... :rofl_200:

GARRETT OBVIOUSLY YOU WORK OUT , YOUR ARMS ARE AS BIG AS MY WAIST , YOU CAN PROBABLY BENCH PRESS YOUR MAX , SO THE LOWER MINE IS THE LOT HARDER IT IS FOR ME TO LIFT IT ONTO THE CENTER STAND ! ... FOR CHRIST SAKE , I GET WINDED TAKING A SHIT ! ... :rofl_200:

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Better handling??? Well that's not entirely true IMO.

What I found from lowering mine is it touched down WAY sooner than it did stock. Now... That being said slow speed handling WAS better as the CG was lower. I have since raised the rear 1 inch which I hope will help as well as speed up my steering as it was VERY lazy before even though I dropped the rear less than the front.

I am 2" in fron and .5" in back now.

Lower DEFINITELY looks cooler but grinding parts isn't cool for me.

Chris
I have mine at stock height (13") in the rear and the front is lowered 2" which worked pretty well with the stock shocks. Last fall I added Progressive HD 13" shocks and also adding the intiminators to the forks, so it should be even better this summer.:punk:

I have my forks lowered 2" in front and still have the stock sidestand. I watch where I park it as it is more vertical but it does not feel unstable and it sits in 25-30 mph winds in the parking lot at work with no problems. I have my centerstand removed (don't miss it) and only use it for service. The centerstand is all in the foot and the push down timing.

GARRETT OBVIOUSLY YOU WORK OUT , YOUR ARMS ARE AS BIG AS MY WAIST , YOU CAN PROBABLY BENCH PRESS YOUR MAX , SO THE LOWER MINE IS , THE LOT HARDER IT IS FOR ME TO LIFT IT ONTO THE CENTER STAND ! ... FOR CHRIST SAKE , I GET WINDED TAKING A SHIT ! ... :rofl_200:

haha. not sure if that was a compliment or not! the shorted kickstand helps a ton. even with a stock height and kickstand i think they coulda made it a 1/2" shorter.

Redbone:

My bike is shortened 2" in the front but stock (13" shocks) in the back. I still use my centerstand, but I also bought a shortened sidestand from Morley (which KICKS ASS) and the bike sits lower (safer) on sidestand now. I highly recommend one.

Elimax

Redbone:

My bike is shortened 2" in the front but stock (13" shocks) in the back. I still use my centerstand, but I also bought a shortened sidestand from Morley (which KICKS ASS) and the bike sits lower (safer) on sidestand now. I highly recommend one.

Elimax
I have a buddy that can weld it up for me if I need it done, I've been good for 2 years.(I know, famous last words!) I may just grind a little of the stop away, just had the stocker p/c'd.

haha. not sure if that was a compliment or not! the shorted kickstand helps a ton. even with a stock height and kickstand i think they coulda made it a 1/2" shorter.
ALL I'M SAYING IS THAT TO GUYS THAT WORK OUT , THEY MAY NOT FEEL THE DIFFERENCE , BUT TO GUYS LIKE ME , IT FELT LIKE I ADDED 100 LBS. TO THE REAR OF MY BIKE ! ... LETS FACE IT , I'M A LOVER NOT A FIGHTER ! ... :biglaugh: .. :rofl_200:

ALL I'M SAYING IS THAT TO GUYS THAT WORK OUT , THEY MAY NOT FEEL THE DIFFERENCE , BUT TO GUYS LIKE ME , IT FELT LIKE I ADDED 100 LBS. TO THE REAR OF MY BIKE ! ... LETS FACE IT , I'M A LOVER NOT A FIGHTER ! ... :biglaugh: .. :rofl_200:
PLUS I'M AN OLD MAN , I'M 47 , I NO THE " GOOD LOOKS " ALWAYS THROWS EVERYONE OFF ! .. :rofl_200::biglaugh::rofl_200:

Back