Lower steering bearing install

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maleko89

Staff member
Reaction score
What does everyone used to install the bearing on the steering shaft? I was thinking about getting some pipe but I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The best option is a press and good fitting piece of pipe. Good fitting means it contacts the inner race of the bearing only.

If this is not an option, I've broken the outer cage off the old bearing. Cut a slit thru the inner race. Dropped the new bearing on the stem. Turned the old inner race upside down and dropped it on top of the new bearing. Then used a pipe to drive it down.

Be sure to support the bottom of the triple, directly under the steering stem, on something solid. The stem is press fit into the lower triple. Its doubtful that you would loosen this but better safe than sorry.

Once you get the old one off, it can't hurt to put the whole assembly in the freezer and lightly heat the ID of the new bearing. Ive rebuilt small engines a number of times and I typically throw the case in the oven at the "warm" setting and new bearings in the freezer. The go in much easier this way.

If you don't have a press, put the lower tree in the freezer over night +1 Mike. Now you know why I'm divorced
biglaugh.gif
. Hey, it's PC'd and clean as a whistle.
Warm the bearing inner race a bit with a heat gun. Drive it on with a piece of thick schedule PCV pipe. Pack the bearing and your good.

If you don't have a press, put the lower tree in the freezer over night +1 Mike. Now you know why I'm divorced
biglaugh.gif
. .

Freezer= A storage deposit place for food purchase in bulk, on sale, to sit for an extended period of time before being thrown away and never used.

That is my wife's definition of a freezer :rofl_200:
I make sure I clean the parts really well before putting them in and I typically wrap them with a plastic shopping bag from the grocery store.

As far as the oven goes, I make sure the parts are cleaned with soap and water first. Then dried. I line the good cookie sheets with aluminum foil before I put the parts on it. This is best done late at night when everyone is sleeping.

Thanks guys! Am planning on putting stem in freezer overnight. How high can you warm a typical bearing? I researched and a lot of guys have the oven set to 350F. I'm thinking closer to 100 for 30 minutes or so. I definitely will be doing this when the wife goes to bed.

I like the idea of using pvc. I have a feeling finding a piece of metal pipe that fits over the shaft and only contacts the inner bearing race will be difficult.

Mark

Know what fits perfectly as a driver? The fork preload spacer. Not that I'm using that but at least know what I need for pvc.

Know what fits perfectly as a driver? The fork preload spacer. Not that I'm using that but at least know what I need for pvc.

Thanks for the info. I know that at some point in time, I will have to do this as well.

I just found out that my pvc fork seal driver, that didn't fit, will work as a bearing driver. Go figure!

Back