Lowering a max?? Good or bad?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

113s&s

Reaction score
ive seem a few through the years before i got a max...forks slid up and inch and lower rear shocks...I was never one to lower a bike im getting strange in my old age.......sliding the fork tubes up and inch..any draw backs doing that..its the cheepest way i know but will it be ok ..clearance problems with front fender or handleing

Re: lowering max

ive seem a few through the years before i got a max...forks slid up and inch and lower rear shocks...I was never one to lower a bike im getting strange in my old age.......sliding the fork tubes up and inch..any draw backs doing that..its the cheepest way i know but will it be ok ..clearance problems with front fender or handleing

I would buy some 1.0 rate Racetech front springs and drop the forks internally with lowering blocks.Mine are done this way with 2" drop.With 20 wt. fork oil it no longer act like a pogo stick when stopping and starting.

year is 2006........thanks for info 2dmax..and ...shawn...two inch ...guess the center stand is out of the question then...does the side stand have to be altered

year is 2006........thanks for info 2dmax..and ...shawn...two inch ...guess the center stand is out of the question then...does the side stand have to be altered

Your centrestand will still be ok with front lowered or if you rarely use it (only use for maintenance) than you can remove it and only put it on when you need it. As for side stand, if only front lowered, it will still be ok as is. My bike is lowered in the front 2 1/4" and 1.5" in the back - centerstand is gone (Kerker exhaust) and side stand is stock, but do have to watch where I park bike or it will fall over - will be shortening side stand this winter to avoid this problem.

Mike

My K6 is lowered 2 in front and 1.5 in back. Race-Tech in front with emulators... Best money I spent on her...:thumbs up:

Center stand works but I have to roll the rear onto a couple 1x4's to make it go up easier. I take it off when not needed. I cut down the side stand and welded back up. Bike looks much better IMHO and handling is awesome! Ground clearance is reduced but that's why I have a sport bike!

Pic of side stand and ground clearance.:thumbs up:

Attachments

• 100_2398.jpg
    100_2398.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 99

My K6 is lowered 2 in front and 1.5 in back. Race-Tech in front with emulators... Best money I spent on her...:thumbs up:

Center stand works but I have to roll the rear onto a couple 1x4's to make it go up easier. I take it off when not needed. I cut down the side stand and welded back up. Bike looks much better IMHO and handling is awesome! Ground clearance is reduced but that's why I have a sport bike!

Pic of side stand and ground clearance.:thumbs up:

My center stand is removed also ,Put it in for maintenance only.I don't have any trouble lifting it up on at all.

Yes,I took about an inch out of it by the bottom.

guys thanks for all the responeces..i noticed the front is lowered more than the back....is that to make level..thanks again

guys thanks for all the responses..i noticed the front is lowered more than the back....is that to make level..thanks again

Lowering the front a bit more than the rear makes the bike fall into the corner easier. Too much and it will get twitchy.

I just heated my sidestand and put about a 20 degree bend in it instead of cutting it. I can't weld worth a crap and I was scared to even trust someone else welding on a sidestand.

Rusty

To lower or not

I am in the process of looking for a 96 max and wondering if lowering front/rear or both would help the handling . Not knowing much mechanically bout bikes is it a good idea or what would it cost ?:icon_axe:

Re: To lower or not

I am in the process of looking for a 96 max and wondering if lowering front/rear or both would help the handling . Not knowing much mechanically bout bikes is it a good idea or what would it cost ?:icon_axe:

Welcome!

Depends on how you want to lower it... Rear shocks are about 250.00 U.S. $ and the front can cost you as little as 150.00 for springs and oil. I recommend lowering the forks internally as the stock springs resemble pogo stick springs...:whistlin:

Last edited:
Gunrunner, lowering the bike is a personal thing, I like mine lowered - front & back. Upgrading the suspension front & back definitely improves the riding qualities of the bike (worth the money spent).

Mike

Has anyone ever mod'ed the stock rear factory shocks, by cutting a coil or two off the springs?

Pro's - Con's?

Has anyone ever mod'ed the stock rear factory shocks, by cutting a coil or two off the springs?

Pro's - Con's?

Not a good idea, the shocks will loose their preload and the shock has a certain length of travel (full extention) that needs to be under preload.

Pro's - Con's?

Not a good idea, the shocks will loose their preload and the shock has a certain length of travel (full extention) that needs to be under preload.

+1 to that! Cheap isn't always good. Suspension on the Max is lacking already so don't go hacking up the stock stuff and make it worse.:stickyman:

Ten dash Four on the 'leave the stock shocks alone'... Hear ya loud n' clear... If and when I ever decide to lower my ride, I will do so with some good quality after mkt shocks..

Thanks again for the input...

Philthy

I dropped my bike down the front tubes an inch or so. Sure makes it handle better. The only negative is that the brake line will rub against the radiator on compression - the vibration it creates can be a little unnerving if you aren't paying attention.

Latest posts

Back