Master Cylinder Leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Today was my first day out on the new to me 06 max with 2K miles. Fun to say the least. Noticed that fluid was leaking from both the clutch and front brake masters. The leak was in the exact same spot on both. If you look in the photo you can see a very small square recess in parting line where the body and lid of the unit meet up. It is just to the right of the mirror stem in the photo. This is where the fluid is coming from. If I pump the lever a few times, sooner or later it will appear, just a tiny drop at a time. Removed the cover, took a touch of fluid out by absorbing with a clean rag, cleaned cover, reinstalled cover and made screws tight. Still leaks through this tiny hole. Any ideas? :ummm:

Attachments

• DSC00730.jpg
    DSC00730.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 93
Today was my first day out on the new to me 06 max with 2K miles. Fun to say the least. Noticed that fluid was leaking from both the clutch and front brake masters. The leak was in the exact same spot on both. If you look in the photo you can see a very small square recess in parting line where the body and lid of the unit meet up. It is just to the right of the mirror stem in the photo. This is where the fluid is coming from. If I pump the lever a few times, sooner or later it will appear, just a tiny drop at a time. Removed the cover, took a touch of fluid out by absorbing with a clean rag, cleaned cover, reinstalled cover and made screws tight. Still leaks through this tiny hole. Any ideas? :ummm:

They are suppose to be there, they're weep holes. Now is the rubber gasket installed and/or in good condition. How full are the reservoirs?

I would check these things out and you should be good to go!

Mike

The rubber gasket was there. I saw no signs of damage to it. The fluid level was pretty high. I had the bike on the center stand and when I took the cap off, the reservoir was full as full as it would get without overflowing. I understand the weep hole is supposed to be there, just don't understand why it would still be coming out after i lowered the fluid level. It is now about even with the "low" line in the window. Maybe I'm just worrying too much about something simple and should just put the fluid level back above the low level and ride it for awhile and see what happens.

The rubber gasket was there. I saw no signs of damage to it. The fluid level was pretty high. I had the bike on the center stand and when I took the cap off, the reservoir was full as full as it would get without overflowing. I understand the weep hole is supposed to be there, just don't understand why it would still be coming out after i lowered the fluid level. It is now about even with the "low" line in the window. Maybe I'm just worrying too much about something simple. It was my first day out on the max.

Maybe bleeding the systems will take of it.

The paint in that area doesn't look to be peeling yet? If not, it's a more recent problem.

Good luck

Mike

Mine leaked like that for a day or two after I dropped my Max the first time. it stopped though. I would fill it to the top of the sight glass and make sure the gasket is clean, even spring for a new gasket, I did.
I wasn't as lucky as you. My paint pealed around the top of the master. If it doesn't stop I would bleed the lines to get any air out.

Could be condensation but likely the seal is just not quite doing the trick.

Sean

Mine also weeped for awhile. So I lowered the fluid level to about 3/4 (which is still plenty), washed both the rubber & cap (soapy water), rinsed, dried thuroughly, wiped of the top of the master and they haven't weeped since.

Mine leaked like that for a day or two after I dropped my Max the first time. it stopped though.

FYI. I removed both covers and cleaned the seals off, and cleaned the mating surface of the reservoirs. Put it all back together and took it for a ride. It leaked a touch on both for that day. Not nearly as much as before though. I didn't drop the bike but it did get bounced around a good bit on the nearly 6 hr trailer ride home from when I purchased it. Thinking maybe that had something to do with it. Either way, the next day it stopped and all has been good since. Thanks for the help all!

After replacing my clutch fluid, 05, I also noticed this weep after operating the clutch lever. The only thing I did from how it was prior was make the MC level, it was not before. I then changed the angle of the MC to what it was before I leveled it and it stopped.

The original level was tilted more forward, taking the fluid away from the weep channel.

Just another thought.

Im fighting a master leak again. Thought I had it cured. Fucked some paint.:bang head:

Took it apart and cleaned some crusty dried fluid off. Removed some fluid so maybe 1/4 of the glass is filled but I have drag bars so the master is level.

How low can you safely run the fluid without pumping air in?

And how tight should the cover screws be, about? Snug or tight?

How low can you safely run the fluid without pumping air in?

I don't know if it's lower, but I've never ran below about a 1/4 in my Vmax or Goldwing, Since the time I ran it below 1/4 in my venture. it started acting goofy.

And how tight should the cover screws be, about? Snug or tight?

About in between works for me, I take em down to snug then turn them just a little bit more. So far so good, no issues what so ever.

Thanks KJ. It might be more important to keep a higher level on flat drag bars. My sight glass looks empty when bike is on the side stand now.:confused2:

Can someone clarify.. From what I remember, there are two holes in the bottom of the master res under the sheet metal piece. What is the function of each?

Back