May be time to quiet the bike down a bit.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynford82

Reaction score
So I have a Kerker exhaust on the bike and I absolutely love it! The sound is awesome and it's loud! Problem is my dad REALLY dislikes how loud it is and some of my neighbors aren't too fond of it either. So are there any mufflers that keep that same lovely sound and just tone it down...... Without breaking my bank prefferably.

If you have the comp baffle. get the other baffle it's a lot quieter.
you should be good then.

I'm 33. I know I shouldn't worry about my dad but there's this thing called respect and we're in the process of building a house right next to them So I figure it may be time.

If you have the comp baffle. get the other baffle it's a lot quieter.
you should be good then.
+1. The comp baffle is 2" ID. If that's what the outlet of your muffler measures you can buy a new baffle for it that will quiet things down. Contact Sean Morley if you are in need of a baffle.

I'm 33. I know I shouldn't worry about my dad but there's this thing called respect and we're in the process of building a house right next to them So I figure it may be time.
Respect your folks and your neighbours. Good neighbours "make" a home every bit as much as location does. Go out of your way to get along with them. You will eventually need help or advice with issues at your new home, or maybe just some caring people to watch your house or feed a pet while you are away. Little things that add up to a lot over a lifetime.
Cheers!

I have the Kerker K series 4-2-1. It's also loud. I recently repacked it and noted about 30% of the packing was gone/toasted. It did very little, if any, to hush it up. I forgot to measure the baffle when I had it out but the noisehole at the muffler end is exactly 1.5" so I'm pretty sure its not the comp baffle. I would consider my bike to be non-neighbor friendly but I have no neighbors that will be effected. I believe it was Sean I was talking to that mentioned a larger diameter can that allows more packing, quieting it down some and netting a deeper exhaust note.

The last time I lived in a neighborhood I had an HD guy living a house away, always coming in at 2-3am loud as hell. I politely asked him if there was anything he could do as we all wake up at 5am for work. I got the following gem "loud pipes save lives, man". I cant tell you how many times I saw him needing a jump start or some help shoveling his truck out of the snow, loading/unloading things et al. I sat inside with my hot coffee watching him struggle and it made me all warm and fuzzy inside. Not everyone is gifted with sight beyond self.

Thank you for having the decency to show respect to your neighbors and folks. It's a very classy move on your part. I hope you find a good solution to make everyone happy. Do post your solution, I'm sort of interested in how the larger can measures up.

The last time I lived in a neighborhood I had an HD guy living a house away, always coming in at 2-3am loud as hell. I politely asked him if there was anything he could do as we all wake up at 5am for work. I got the following gem "loud pipes save lives, man". I cant tell you how many times I saw him needing a jump start or some help shoveling his truck out of the snow, loading/unloading things et al. I sat inside with my hot coffee watching him struggle and it made me all warm and fuzzy inside. Not everyone is gifted with sight beyond self.

Exactly my point, Mr. Jones. A little bending, a little compromising, a few concessions......usually doesn't take much too leave everybody with those peaceful, easy feelings. Good Karma comes back to reward you. The bad variety comes back and bites you on the derriere.
I'm done with my rant for the day. Now it's back to wiring up my new hot tub!
...........and yes, the neighbors are going to be invited over for a soak.
Cheers!

I'm finding that I would like to lower the noise level of my Cobra slip-ons. Not because they are so loud that they disturb the neighbors, (I can ride fairly quietly just by showing a little consideration) but at highway cruise, I am turning on average 5k, and it does get tiring after a while.

I have the Kerker K series 4-2-1. It's also loud. I recently repacked it and noted about 30% of the packing was gone/toasted. It did very little, if any, to hush it up. I forgot to measure the baffle when I had it out but the noisehole at the muffler end is exactly 1.5" so I'm pretty sure its not the comp baffle. I would consider my bike to be non-neighbor friendly but I have no neighbors that will be effected. I believe it was Sean I was talking to that mentioned a larger diameter can that allows more packing, quieting it down some and netting a deeper exhaust note.

Thank you for having the decency to show respect to your neighbors and folks. It's a very classy move on your part. I hope you find a good solution to make everyone happy. Do post your solution, I'm sort of interested in how the larger can measures up.

Yes, unfortunately very true. I have been on both sides of that and when I have been the recipient of someone lending a helping hand, it has made a difference in how things went for the day, or longer.

I try to follow the Golden Rule which helps me to center myself. Sometimes I find that what I need to do is to withdraw from a situation rather than to escalate things. Perhaps it's the wisdom of aging, I dunno, but you don't need to draw the line in the sand every time. Personal safety, or the safety of a loved one, I would say, yes. Even then, there are actions to take to devolve your participation where the issue of safety is achieved, but the confrontation is avoided. There are so many people who are just looking to 'push things,' and who knows what they may be prepared to do?

Ever see the movie "Crash?" Peoples' actions have farther reaching effects than they know. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_19

Some people call it the "Butterfly Effect." Anyway, I try to be more-tolerant and just look the other way on the little things.

having a kerker 4 into 1 with comp baffle.And some great neighbors.
Is the only reason I don't take the max to work at 630am.
If I do plan on riding,I let them know the night before.

Bros has the Kerker with "street"? baffle on it. Has slipped in the comp baffle on occasion and it is substantially louder. We like it, but not only want to keep the peace with neighbours, but with the local authorities.
It was the reason I chose to buy a Hindle when I found my max. I have a Stealth 18" carbon fibre baffle and a 14" carbon fibre super sport baffle. The 18" has a meaner lower thump rumble but the 14" comes on when I honk it super loud. Not as loud as the Kerker comp baffle for certain, but about as loud as the "street" kerker baffle.
PLUS, with the Hindle I've retained my centre stand mounts!
Another solution, use the slink method of throttle modulation. You know, like when you see a police office that has pulled someone over as you ride by upshifting at lower rpm's, using the slink method.

Thanks for the input guys. I found a baffle I'm going to try, it only set me back $65 So I figure it's worth a shot.

Back