Memphis Shades Malibu windshield.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biker Dash

Reaction score
This summer, I have a long ride ahead of me. about 600 miles each way.
A good windshield would be VERY valuable to me for this trip.

Shopping around, I found some options that look really nice, but this one caught my eye. Starting Line even has one in stock. YAY!!!
yay.png

Memphis Shades Malibu Gradiant Black

Love the look, and it should provide all the coverage I need for a comfortable ride.
One issue... mounting the damn thing.

Seems the fork clamps go from 35mm to 41mm. well, shit!
twilightoops.png

Maybe Starting Line might be able to get me some fork clamps that fit my 43mm forks. If they cannot, I have another solution I can do. I can use 43mm clip-on clamps with short sections of 7/8 bar to mount a second set of handlebar clamps. Hey, sounds crazy, but whatever the hell works!
pinkiecrazy.png

2nd issue... turn signals.
No ifs, ands, or buts, I HAVE to relocate if I mount this windshield. That is ok, because I think I have a solution. I shall use these.
K&S dual filament flush mount marker lights

I could mount them on the portion that would serve as the hand guards. I think they would look especially clean there, and being dual filament, they will work just like the stock ones.

Thoughts on this, guys?

That windshield should definitely clean up the air. It is very similar in profile to my Fatmax Batwing, but offers more windscreen height. I run the shorter (4") windscreen on my Fatmax and it cleans up the air very well when solo. I do get a slight buffet when I have a passenger.

My only concern with your choice of markers is whether or not you will find a flat surface large enough to mount them on that windscreen. They are generally a montage of compound curves. I gave up the marker function up front and used a set of stick on LEDs which are mounted to my fork lowers.

I'm on break from preping for the weekends bike trip, but I will try to grab you a pic of my setup if you are interested. I didn't miss the marker function as I was replacing aftermarket signals that had already abandoned the markers.

If you read the instructions for the lights , you will see that they are not DOT approved for use as turn signals. The bulbs appear to be #1176 dual-filament incandescent. If so, the brightest filament is 17 watts, as opposed to the standard 1157 bulb used in the stock signals, which is 27 watts on the brightest side.
Be seen, ride safe, Mr. Dash!
Cheers

If you read the instructions for the lights , you will see that they are not DOT approved for use as turn signals. The bulbs appear to be #1176 dual-filament incandescent. If so, the brightest filament is 17 watts, as opposed to the standard 1157 bulb used in the stock signals, which is 27 watts on the brightest side.
Be seen, ride safe, Mr. Dash!
Cheers

Question, can you recommend ones which would be bright enough that I could mount?

Biker Dash,

Your state law will determine what is or is not "legal.". Miles is very correct that being seen is safer regardless of where you reside.

I promised a pic. Here are two. Apologies for not cleaning the bike before waving the magic phone at it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400733008.754836.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1400733019.762180.jpg

These LEDs could be mounted as a pair in the location I chose much like many have done with the reflector to LED conversions at the rear of the saddle.

IMO they are clear as day and can be clearly discerned from the headlight - night or day. They actually arrived as a set of 4, so I could easily add the second pair that is currently unused. They pass TX inspection w/o problem, but all TX is concerned with is the color.

Searching "LED Motorcycle Signals" on EBAY or just "Motorcycle Turn Signals" will show a large number of options. I chose LED 'cause I like the longevity and the crisp blink. Adding resistors is easy and my auto cancel did not suffer.

I have the MS classic deuce on my bike, and just dropped the OEM turn signals down by using some bus mirror brackets I had laying around.....they are essentially 1/2" round tubing that is flattened on each end with holes drilled thru. It's an option for you.

As Mr. Nub states, use the search engines to select your turn signals. If you add "brightness" or "lumens" to the keywords, you may be able to narrow the search down to lights noted for their visibility, although the manufacturers seem to be hesitant about advertising this feature.
I really like the look of many LED signals, but I've yet to see a pair as bright as the standard lollipops. So I'm stickin' with them.
Guess I'm a "function over form" type, at least when it comes to safety.
Another option for you would be mirror-mounted signals. Lots of choices out there, but expensive. The advantages of these are the separation and the height. Easily seen by drivers in front, when at stoplights.
Cheers!

Attachments

• LED signals.jpg
    LED signals.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 21
  • front lollipops.jpg
    front lollipops.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 27
  • rear lollipops.jpg
    rear lollipops.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 24
Biker Dash,

Your state law will determine what is or is not "legal.". Miles is very correct that being seen is safer regardless of where you reside.

I promised a pic. Here are two. Apologies for not cleaning the bike before waving the magic phone at it.

View attachment 43245View attachment 43246

These LEDs could be mounted as a pair in the location I chose much like many have done with the reflector to LED conversions at the rear of the saddle.

IMO they are clear as day and can be clearly discerned from the headlight - night or day. They actually arrived as a set of 4, so I could easily add the second pair that is currently unused. They pass TX inspection w/o problem, but all TX is concerned with is the color.

Searching "LED Motorcycle Signals" on EBAY or just "Motorcycle Turn Signals" will show a large number of options. I chose LED 'cause I like the longevity and the crisp blink. Adding resistors is easy and my auto cancel did not suffer.

I like the idea, and that is a unique place to place them. Thank you.
And the V-Max has self cancelling turn signals? I did not know this. (cause the Honda I had previously for 4 years did not, and I instinctively cancel them myself when through the turn.)

I like the idea, and that is a unique place to place them. Thank you.
And the V-Max has self cancelling turn signals? I did not know this. (cause the Honda I had previously for 4 years did not, and I instinctively cancel them myself when through the turn.)

HOOT ... yes, they self cancel, and it was a learning curve. It is the first bike I've ever owned with this feature. I think I like it, but it has taken some real relearning. Turns out my old super highway habit of signaling and then crossing multiple lanes - one at a time - when preparing to exit and exiting required a new strategy. Now rather than engage and cancel when finished I'm learning to engage and re-engage at each lane change 'cause my leisurely pace has left me making unsignaled moves when Lola decided I must have already completed the maneuver I was signaling - I'm just thankful for the redundant hand signals I also use.

Turn signal issue is solved! I was at an auto parts store, and I found a set (of five) truck cab running lights that are orange, and it looks like they use the same turn signal bulbs as the rear turn signals. Now, what I will do is mount four of them in pairs. That way, two of them are wired into the running light circuit, and the other two are on the turn signal circuit.

Best thing about this... they cost $11.00 or so.

Also, getting the appropriate fork clamps for the 43mm fork will be no problem. Will cost me $23 if the ones that come with the shield do not fit.

I shall post before and after pics when the job is all done.

Latest posts

Back