Metzeler ME880 Swingarm Clearance?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterZ

Reaction score
:ummm:Hi everyone, I have a new to me 03 V. My first V-Max.:banana: I am resurrecting it after sitting for 8 years. After removing tank and derusting I am putting it back together. The PO had installed a Metzeler ME880. I have installed the rear wheel using the procedure outlined in the owners manual. Everything is torqued as directed.

How close to the swingarm should the ME880 be? I can slip about 12 sheets of paper between the tire and the left swingarm without binding. That equates to about 1/16"+.

Should I worry or is this about right for this large of a tire?
Thanks,
Z

How wide is the tire? Is it more than a 170? Some folks have to do the washer swap (basically shimming the wheel over) to make the 170 ME880 fit. Most folks will also say that if it doesn't touch anywhere in the tires rotation you are good to go. Heck, there a number of folks that ride with it rubbing a bit with no problems.

Hi Dave, It is a 170/80. I thought the washer was in the wrong spot when I dissassembled it. I reassembled according to the parts diagram.

Where does the washer go when it is swapped in order to shift the wheel to the right?

Does it affect the brake?
Thanks,
Z

If its not rubbing, you are good to go. The washer goes outside the brake caliper bracket per the book. It can be installed on the other side of the wheel to gain clearance if you want but, it doesnt sound like its needed to me. No sense shifting the wheel even more to the right than it is from the factory.

Like Mike said. As long as the tire's clear of the swingarm it doesn't matter by how much. When spinning fast, all the tire is going to do is grow taller (and skinnier), so it'll never rub.

I had a 170/80 Shinko and it also cleared the left by a 1/4" or less - no prob.

I've had tires even rubbing the side of the arm and other then paint getting removed never had any problems.

Sean

i can fit 1-2 piece of paper. good to go.

Latest posts

Back