Michelin Commander II's?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax2extreme

Reaction score
170/80-15 Michelin Commander II Rear Tire-190-879751

Has anyone tried these on a stock wheel? Do they fit? How do they handle over the Metzler ME880 ($180) or Shinko Tourmasters ($85)?

Chaparral has them for about $140 shipped.

Thinking of my options since my rear shinko is almost bald!

Thanks,

Mike

I just put a set of tires on my Roadstar, gave a lot of thought to the michelins, but wound up getting a set of Shinkos for it again. I'm gonna need a rear for the Max next spring, and another 170 Shinko's going back on. I got good wear out of the one I've got on, and for the price, I'm gonna stick with them.

I need new sneakers this winter. It has a stock 150 on it. Any pros n cons of going to a 170? I'm thinking if shinkos also.

I need new sneakers this winter. It has a stock 150 on it. Any pros n cons of going to a 170? I'm thinking if shinkos also.
The 170/80/15 is a wider and slightly taller tire. No major difference. It can be installed in a stock swingarm without mods. The wider look can be had without spending money other than the tire.
The Shinko? I'd say they're worth the money. They won't last as long as some other more expensive tires, but give great traction wet or dry.
Steve-o

I know the shinkos are good since I have them on now in the 170's, but I didnt get but two summers riding out of them. I was asking if anyone tried the Michelin's and if they were any good. I have always used the 170's since my 1st vmax back in 1998.

Thanks again,

Mike

As I posted a bit earlier, I'm planning on replacing the rear with another 170 Shinko next year. I checked my records, and I've got almost 4000 miles on the tire, then went out and took a look at the tire. I may not have to replace it till the middle/end of next year because there is still plenty of tread left. I'm gonna take a guess and say it's a 6000 mile tire * The front is gonna last another rear tire, at least!

*your mileage may vary....

As I posted a bit earlier, I'm planning on replacing the rear with another 170 Shinko next year. I checked my records, and I've got almost 4000 miles on the tire, then went out and took a look at the tire. I may not have to replace it till the middle/end of next year because there is still plenty of tread left. I'm gonna take a guess and say it's a 6000 mile tire * The front is gonna last another rear tire, at least!

*your mileage may vary....

Which model Shinko do you use? At Bike Bandit there are 3 models to chose from.
Cheers

Shinko 170 on mine, I had stock Dunlop qualifiers, so much better. I will be getting shinko again when needed. They're shinko tourmaster

I must ride my max too hard. I put my third shinko on with a few weeks left in the season last year with probably 5K miles on. Im hoping the 190 R1 radial holds up a bit better this next year though.

Yes, a Shinko TM 230 - 170/80-15 fits on the Stock Vmax Rim.
I don't think anyone has tried the Michelin Commander II 170/80-15 yet but it should also fit.

I use the Commander 2 and Pilot Activ combo and I'm very impressed so far, nice set of tires and the 170 fits right on with no washer swap.

Back