Michigan shake down 2011.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2fear

Reaction score
Temps today in MI reached close to 80 degrees, so I got a chance to do a nice shake down run. Me and Tom ( Bee keeper ) managed to pull off a perfect 200 mile ride today! Just got my bike out of storage Thursday and was blessed today with summer like temps, we hit some nice no traffic back roads and really got to open them up. What a way to start our riding season!

Attachments

• parts 003.jpg
    parts 003.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 19
Way to GO Chuck !
Just got back from a quick 20 mile run too .... wish it was 200 like you and Tom did. What a GREAT Michigan 83 degree spring day we had !!! Finally got my carbs tweeked in properly for needle shim settings. Sync'd the carbs and added new plugs before my ride to make sure I'm not running too lean.

Let the Michigan 2011 riding season commence :clapping:

Way to GO Chuck !
Just got back from a quick 20 mile run too .... wish it was 200 like you and Tom did. What a GREAT Michigan 83 degree spring day we had !!! Finally got my carbs tweeked in properly for needle shim settings. Sync'd the carbs and added new plugs before my ride to make sure I'm not running too lean.

Let the Southern Michigan 2011 riding season commence :clapping:
Fixed your post Jeff. :biglaugh: It's been raining since midnight and today the temp rose to a high of 39 degree's here in the U.P.. This afternoon a heavy, cold fog rolled in and then the wind picked up a couple hours ago but temp is rising! More rain tonight, the next week has one day in high 50's predicted while the rest have rain and temps in the 40's for us. :damn angry:
Glad you guys were able to get out in warm weather. I hope it will clear up soon as most of the roads are clean now.
Tom, did you get your Harlan SL hooked up? if so how did you like it?

Have not had the chance to do the install on the shift light yet, hopefully this week!...........What a picture perfect day! Had a blast tearing it up with 2Fear, I think we got the cobwebs and dust shook loose! Rode them hard and fast, looking foreward to more of the same this season......................Thanks for the PM Chuck, you made my day!

Hello Michigan crew, from Midland

I just bought an 07 a couple weeks ago and I was thrilled to ride sat & sun in the warm weather. The cold weather riding a few times before this was getting ridicules.

Have to meet up with some of you for a vmax bash.
It's going to be hard choosing what to ride now - woods or street.

Welcome! Glad you found us, there is a ton of information here and plenty of experianced Vmax mechanics to get or keep your Vmax in top running condition.
There is a Vmax Owner Association meet set for July 8-10th in Paw Paw, Michigan (near Battle Creek), you do not need to be a member to join us! You have a couple of fellow Vmaxer's in your area so you can compare notes.

Hey JKoz10,
hello from a fellow Midlander ! Great to have another V-Max cruisin around the town here ! :thumbs up: There's lot's of good riding coming up this season to get you involved in. Glad you crossed over to the dark side with your V-Max purchase. I'll shoot you a PM to see if we can get the V-Max's together for a little riding & burn-outs if you like !

Oh, and welcome to the VMF. Best place for information to make your V-Max better and faster !

Welcome James, looking foreward to meeting you and getting some serious riding in with as many Maxers as we can!..............Group riding is a blast!...............Have fun with the site.......................Tom.

Here's something for us Michigan Vmax riders to look forward to:

Annual MICHIGAN VMOA Ride
July 8-10, 2011
VMOA Contact: Brian Nash (See VMOA website for contact info)

HOTEL:

Econo Lodge (MI280)
139 Ampey Road, Paw Paw, MI, US, 49079
Phone: (269) 657-2578
Fax: (269) 657-3344
Website: http: //www.econolodge.com/hotel-paw_paw-michigan-MI280

BTW: There happens to be a Yamaha dealership across the street from the hotel!
Paw Paw Cycle and Marine
134 Ampey Road
Paw Paw, MI 49079
(800) 618-6760
http://www.pawpawcycle.com/

Glad you guys are out riding-finally. One of the reasons I left MI nearly 40 yr. ago was to be able to ride year-round.

I saw the Paw Paw meet before, looks like a good time. Another dealership not far-away, from whom I bought my first new bike, is M & M Cycles http://www.mmcycle.com/
A buddy & I walked in & bought identical Yamaha 360 Enduros. I had been saving, I pulled 2/3 the bike cost out of my pocket & financed the rest. My buddy told the salesman, "if I knew he had that much cash on him, I would have robbed him!" Still have it. I rode that thing at Buchanan in hare scrambles, not far from where one of the great Midwest rock festivals was held-three days at Goose Lake. I also ran a Pearl Harbor Day enduro at Mt. Garfield, which has been hosting hillclimbs for 50+ yrs. Man, that was cold! Three of us got stuck in a swamp & took turns pushing each other out so we could continue. There was a foot of ice-cold water below a couple inches of ice, not enough of which to stay on top of, so as soon as you broke through, you sank into that water & that was it. "Help!" I was low on fuel by that point & ran out of gas as we crested the last hill before the finish, & coasted across. 12-7-72.

There are some nice roads to ride around M43 off of M89 outside of Richland, which isn't far from Paw Paw. We used to play Paw Paw in sports.

Also, in the summer, the Little Red Barn is going to be open, in Hickory Corners, a great place for gearheads, they have all kinds of events there. http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/

The area around Yankee Springs State Recreational Area is another good place w/lots of curving roads changing elevation & is in the area of the meet not far from Richland/Gull Lake. Not a place for trailer queens, as you are likely going to encounter some dirt roads.

Hey, how about a VMax set-up like the TZ750 King Kenny ran at the Indy Mile? Now that would be a unique design! He famously said, "they don't pay me enough to ride that thing!" A one race wonder, but that was due more to AMA politics keeping H-D's stranglehold on mile track competition.
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/dontpaymeenuff.htm
That would allow you to tear-up those graded MI dirt backroads-sideways! Get out your steel shoe!

Safe riding to you guys in the lower part of the state, and for the U.P.: June is coming!

Picked up my gear from the dealer today and met a fellow at the parts counter who just picked up an 8800 mile 03 Max a few weeks ago, I told him about our site and invited him to come join us, he lives out in Jamestown which is in the area, hope to see him on here soon....................Man Firemedic, it would be cool to hang out with you and hear about your adventures!.............................Take care................Tom.

Hello Michigan crew, from Midland

I just bought an 07 a couple weeks ago and I was thrilled to ride sat & sun in the warm weather. The cold weather riding a few times before this was getting ridicules.

Have to meet up with some of you for a vmax bash.
It's going to be hard choosing what to ride now - woods or street.
WELCOME TO THE SITE ITS NOT HARD TO CHOOSE ALWAYS STEET:punk: THESE BIKE SUCK IN THE WOODS:confused2: ANYWAY ALOT OF INFO HERE. ALWAYS KEEP IT OUT OF THE WOODS:biglaugh:

Hey, how about a VMax set-up like the TZ750 King Kenny ran at the Indy Mile? Now that would be a unique design! He famously said, "they don't pay me enough to ride that thing!" A one race wonder, but that was due more to AMA politics keeping H-D's stranglehold on mile track competition.
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/dontpaymeenuff.htm
That would allow you to tear-up those graded MI dirt backroads-sideways! Get out your steel shoe!

That was an awesome read right there. Good stuff, thank you!

Back