Michigan Vmax hibernation...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2fear

Reaction score
I hate to do it but I had to put 2fear up for the long Michigan Winter ahead. I could have squeezed a couple more rides in but this is a busy time of year for me and the weather is all over the map. All of my free time now shifts to my other hobby, hunting. My time now will be spent hunting birds and rabbits with my son and our dog, then firearm deer hunting and back to small game. This will take us into ice fishing, my other passion, that will lead me back to Vmax season. Between the 3 bikes I started the season with I logged a total of 4500+ miles in this season, plus 5 weekend family camping trips, and I work full time. Not to bad for a short Michigan season, I think I got the best of this one.

Mine is pretty much put up as well in upstate NY. There's already been salt on the roads, typically my signal it's time to hang up the helmet for the year. Oh well, we had a good run. Pretty sure mileage is up around 10k for the year.

Take it to a gas station, fill the tank. At the same time add blue "marine" sta-bil. Ride it back home, put it in the corner of the garage, on the centerstand, toss the dust cover on it. Done. See it in the spring. :wave bye:

But it's bittersweet, because at the same time I whip the cover off the RX and fire that up....my R1 for the snow!

Chuck I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for all the rides you have setup this year for the Michigan folks, even though I couldn't make some of them nice job!

Ditto on that Damon, as a new commer I came in late in the season and found this board, I hooked up with Chuck on a number of occasions one of them being the Travers run with some other Max riders, I felt wery welcomed and had a great time on all the rides, I have met some good folks and am looking foreward to hitting the roads with them again next season! I hope to meet more of you then too!...............Thanks again.......................Tom..........................P.S. I'm still finding time to ride mine yet so I'll keep it out until the weather says different.............

When I bought my 86 in 86, I was living between Dayton Ohio and Cleveland. I never put my bike up for the season. There always seems to be those bright dry sunny days all throughout winter. I never hit any ice or had any close calls. I did go into work one morning and had a sliver of exposed skin on my neck that felt like a burn for a few days but that was it. -3 degrees was the coldest ride and I had to run choke the whole time! Good times, good times...

I never put my bike up for the season. There always seems to be those bright dry sunny days all throughout winter.

My neighbor does the same thing. He has a bike in average condition and doesn't care about the salt. There are plenty of descent days throughout the winter months to take a quick trip around the immediate area......of course he doesn't work and has the days off to pull this off......

I wish we had weather enough to be able to see pavement. For the most part our roads are snow covered from early Jan to the middle of March. But anytime in November it we have the possibility of snow falling 3-4 days a week but (probably) not sticking for more than a day or so. I was still riding until Dec 3 last year and my brother was riding by the 10th of March, exceptional year by all accounts.
Rumor has it that Lake Superior is the warmest (53 degrees?) and with a cold NW wind we (along with the Buffalo area) will be getting large amounts of lake effect snow. Yippee, I'm so thrilled!

Like I said, I could squeeze a few more rides in but I have other things going on. I rode my 85 Vmax for 19 years and I used to get it out and ride in the middle of winter. The thing is I winterize my bike, full of gas, Seafoam, drain the bowls and remove the battery so it's not worth it. The house I used to own had a heated garage so I rode a lot in the winter, Now I store it in my inlaws garage because my garage is small and my wife parks in it during the winter. Not to mention the people in cars and trucks are no longer looking for motorcycles in the winter... Thanks guys, I enjoyed our group rides as well this year, what a great group of people. I plan on organizing more rides next season.:punk:

Getting too dark too early for my old eyes to see safely... Besides that, I think every deer within 100 miles is on a suicide mission. Lotsa squished Bambis around here. I think this is the weekend to put the bikes to sleep for a few months. Fill the tanks, dump in some Seafoam, drain carbs, pull out batteries, and wait till spring. Only 5 months or so to wait!

This was a stupendous summer, easily the best weather in the last 10 years. 2011 is gonna have to be a doozy to match it.

Plans? Thunder, (WITH the VMax this time, Trevor!) and that run to Gettysburg later in the summer. Our son is graduating from High School this year, but still gonna try to get my usual 6-8k miles on the Max, and the Roadstar.

I'd like the Gettysburg trip to turn into a full trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway - it's been WAY too long since I rode that road!

Be here before we know it!

Hey 2Fear,
getting back to Midland on Friday after a weeks stay in Orlando where the unseasonable temps have been in the low 90s !! Fantastic. You Fla VMax riders have it made !!! :eusa_dance: Like Beekeeper, I think I have a few more weeks of Michigan riding before the snow comes; and I plan on enjoying it ! Since I re-adjusted the float levels to correct a rich condition (from the factory), the bike has been running like "a whole new BEAST has been awaken !" Now have low and mid-range instant responce with a crack of the throttle. :punk: Still buring that Dunlop rear tire down before putting the new Shinko on; much easier to do now !! Haven't seen the cords quit yet !!

But what has me really exited.... just ordered the Marks Performance pipes special , the 4-2 V Max stainless steel exhaust with 14" mufflers :biglaugh: I'm stoked !! Wife says it's my early Xmas present. :clapping: I LOVE that woman !!! Should be here in the next week or so. I've been following Special Ops getting his pipes ordered / installed and figured ... what the hell, I'm going for it too !! So much for keeping my bike stock :rofl_200: .
The Mod Monkey bites again !!!

Keep me in mind for thunder 2011 - I'm seriously thinking of going also.

Enjoy the fall hunting / winter fishing season with your son.

Thanks Jeff! Congrats on the new exhaust I'm excited too lol! Can't wait to hear it. That would be great to get a group of Michigan folks to do the thunder trip, let's follow up on this and try to make it happen. Tom has expressed interest in thunder also..

here in indiana the snow doesnt last more than a week on the roads. ill ride if its 40 degrees! :D its deer time too so we gotta be careful

Since we're on the subject, anyone have a solid date for the 2011 Thunder event? Also the VMOA meet in Paw Paw MI and Bike week in Muskegon MI, I know it's early but I like to get things locked on the calendar before the wife does, Thanks....................Tom.

Going to try and make thunder next season also. I get my bike out in March, the time goes by quick.

Hey 2Fear,
getting back to Midland on Friday after a weeks stay in Orlando where the unseasonable temps have been in the low 90s !! Fantastic. You Fla VMax riders have it made !!! :eusa_dance: Like Beekeeper, I think I have a few more weeks of Michigan riding before the snow comes; and I plan on enjoying it ! Since I re-adjusted the float levels to correct a rich condition (from the factory), the bike has been running like "a whole new BEAST has been awaken !" Now have low and mid-range instant responce with a crack of the throttle. :punk: Still buring that Dunlop rear tire down before putting the new Shinko on; much easier to do now !! Haven't seen the cords quit yet !!

But what has me really exited.... just ordered the Marks Performance pipes special , the 4-2 V Max stainless steel exhaust with 14" mufflers :biglaugh: I'm stoked !! Wife says it's my early Xmas present. :clapping: I LOVE that woman !!! Should be here in the next week or so. I've been following Special Ops getting his pipes ordered / installed and figured ... what the hell, I'm going for it too !! So much for keeping my bike stock :rofl_200: .
The Mod Monkey bites again !!!

Keep me in mind for thunder 2011 - I'm seriously thinking of going also.

Enjoy the fall hunting / winter fishing season with your son.

Since we're on the subject, anyone have a solid date for the 2011 Thunder event? Also the VMOA meet in Paw Paw MI and Bike week in Muskegon MI, I know it's early but I like to get things locked on the calendar before the wife does, Thanks....................Tom.
I'd like to try for Thunder as well, I need to get my vacations booked early in the new year. Memorial day is already on the list w/ the '11 Brownie Run, as is Spring Icebreaker, and now Thunder. Lot's of long rides next summer!:punk:

Damn...............I'm going to need a set of rear tires for next season, thanks for posting the vids Chuck!

Back