More Carb Issues?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnclePhilthy

Reaction score
Riding yesterday... Noticed that on DEcelleration (gearing down), that I'm getting some light backfires from the pipes...

Later they also became noticable when holding a 2500-3000-rpm gate in the lower gears.... Guessing this is because of a too lean mix or fouling plug(s).

I am now forced to use this BS 10% ethonal mix fuel...
can't find any fuel in my part of the world anymore that doesn't have it in there, and I'm still concerned that ethenol use is causing problems already...

Could this be solved by a simple 1/2 turn out or so on the a/f screws, and a resync?...or possible time for the peashooter/shotgun? The pipes look clean..nice grey color.

Wondering if there's any known additive to the fuel that would help overcome the negative effects of ethanol on the whole fuel system... I have been adding a couple oz's of Seafoam to every tankful, but it ain't helping much anymore.

Thanks, Philthy

I'm wondering about ethanol myself. I'm like you , I can't find pure gasoline around here any more. I've heard people claim it's costing them about a 10 percent loss in fuel mileage, although manufacturers claim only about 1 %. I've always had a very small amount of backfire on decel , but it's so slight I just figured that it's normal. There is a coasting enrichment valve on each carb that should lean the mixture out on decel & reduce or eliminate backfiring - maybe one of yours is starting to mal-function. I wish I could find some real gasoline just to try & see if it runs any different. It doesn't look like ethanol is going away any time soon though. Hopefully we can just tune around it.

"It doesn't look like ethanol is going away any time soon though. Hopefully we can just tune around it. "

That's pretty much the way I see it too Rich... Really pisses me off that they force that shit on us, with no hope of being able to buy straight gas anywhere anymore...no price break because it's in there, and less mpg means more fuel burned...totally f'n retarded!

Mine as stated, also started 'stuttering' and popping back a little on holding it about 3k rpm's as well... Today I topped off the tank with some more of their crap, and without a passenger, took it out and beat on it a little bit...actually pulls quite well up to about 85/90mph...and the 'popping back' seems have subsided quite a bit...for now...

Going to re-tune this week, and see if that helps at all...

Take care Bud...

Philthy

Philthy, Ethanol has less energy in it so you may have to turn your mixture screws out a tad. Another bad thing about ethanol is it doesn't store well and is known to be hard on rubber parts. Winter storage will be a bitch....

Run some Seafoam through it and it'll go away. Been there done this twice now! :bang head:

I run seafoam in the tank almost all the time now. I use more than a couple ounces though... Probably 6 or more in some cases...

Started my stock '99 w/12K mi. up this morning, it wouldn't idle up when I closed the choke, like it always has in the past. It stalled and I couldn't find any choke position that would let it warm up on it's own, I had to keep playing with the throttle.
When I got 3 miles down the road I stopped at a stop sign the idle was only about 500 and I had to turn the idle adj up quite a ways to get it to the normal 1K rpm.
I rode it 3 days ago and it ran perfect. :ummm:
Could this also be the same problem? Crap gas?
I'm going to put some seafoam in and see if the idle comes back up.

dan

"Winter storage"...what's that Mark??

What you said is what I fear most in relation to it (ethenol) being death on most rubber/neoprene parts...thats why I'm wondering what could be added that might eliminate that possiblity. Or possibly newer fuel lines and fuel pump & carb parts, that would be 'immune' to it. One thing's for sure, it apparently ain't going away anytime soon.

Chris.... 6oz's per tank? That would seem to me to be a pretty 'hot' mix! I also need to find out if Seafoam is really going to 'counter act' the damage that ethenol will eventually do.. or if there's another product out there that will.

Hoping....

Philthy

Danny...have y'all got that crap in your fuel up there as well?...

I had mine really dialed in...on straight 87 octane... cold started everytime with no choke...switch/on - bump button, vrooom! instant 1k idle ... ran like it should...

Now that my last station has 'gone over', been using the 10% mix, because it's all there is... now I have to 'choke' on a cold start every time...won't run at all unless I do, until it warms up some...also had to set the idle screw up a turn or so, just to get my 1k rpm idle back...

One of my sons drives and delivers fuel from the port, and he told me today, that ALL gas is now mixed...so like it or not, there ya go....

Fuckin' communists!!

Philthy

"Winter storage"...what's that Mark??

What you said is what I fear most in relation to it (ethenol) being death on most rubber/neoprene parts...thats why I'm wondering what could be added that might eliminate that possiblity. Or possibly newer fuel lines and fuel pump & carb parts, that would be 'immune' to it. One thing's for sure, it apparently ain't going away anytime soon.

Chris.... 6oz's per tank? That would seem to me to be a pretty 'hot' mix! I also need to find out if Seafoam is really going to 'counter act' the damage that ethenol will eventually do.. or if there's another product out there that will.

Hoping....

Philthy

I only add a lot when it's acting up otherwise I just add the right amount.

Chris

Hey Phil - "winter storage" is that 2 week period we have here in FL when it gets below 50 & we don't ride every day. :rofl_200: Not to sound like an Amzoil dealer , but if Seafoam doesn't do it for you, try some Amzoil PI ( performance improver ). I have no documentation to back it up , but the seat of my pants tells me it works better. Just my .02

C'mon Rich...we both know it can get a hellava lot colder than 50 degrees, but the good part is, it doesn't STAY that way for several months like some of our poor Northern cousins have to endure!...

Been doing some google time on ethanol..(at least I learned how to spell it)... All I can say is goddamn!! We're pretty much screwed... for instance, if the floats in those cute lil' carbs are not metallic, and are some kind of 'plastic' material...they'll pretty much be toast in a short time... says they'll 'swell like toads', and eventually bind against the bowls.... if you've got an aftermarket fuel tank made of 'glass...it'll eventually "turn to jelly"... All kinds of real neat info out there... Everything except how to counteract or immunize against this crap...

Most all recommend adding a 'stabilizer'...that will help keep the crap from separating from the gas, which it often seems to do... 'specially if (like our cold country bros), you have to let it sit for a fairly long time....

Still hoping for that 'miracle cure', but haven't found it yet....

Philthy

Danny...have y'all got that crap in your fuel up there as well?...

I had mine really dialed in...on straight 87 octane... cold started everytime with no choke...switch/on - bump button, vrooom! instant 1k idle ... ran like it should...

Now that my last station has 'gone over', been using the 10% mix, because it's all there is... now I have to 'choke' on a cold start every time...won't run at all unless I do, until it warms up some...also had to set the idle screw up a turn or so, just to get my 1k rpm idle back...

One of my sons drives and delivers fuel from the port, and he told me today, that ALL gas is now mixed...so like it or not, there ya go....

Fuckin' communists!!

Philthy

Philthy---I think that crap is everywhere. I have to put stabilizer in the 5 gal. lawnmower containers or the stuff will go bad before it all gets used up!

You had to adjust your idle up too, I thought after some seafoam the idle would creep back up, but it didn't. It's running good, not great like it was, but good, so I guess I'll have to live with it.

Roger that on the commies!! :th_biggun:

dan

Back