Motor pouring fuel everywhere

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel of Death

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been a while, a long long winter to be exact.

So today was mild so I decided to break the VMax out of cold storage and take it for a spin up the road.

First stop sign all I smell is fuel and I turn right around and head back, total trip: 1 mile or a little less.

Back in the driveway I pull the air box lid off and cycle the key .... fuel dumps out of the vent tube that attached to the right side of the airbox (as if you're sitting on the bike). I could see air and fuel bubbling up from the forward right side carb.

Think I have a stuck float? I'm a BMW tech and we stopped making carbs .... 35+ years ago so I have no expertise in this dept. I worked an extra shift this week so I might drop it off at the dealer and see what they say.

Any ideas folks? I'm at your mercy here. Thanks so much!

Semper fi, Erik
________
Scientology dicussion

Last edited:
Sounds like float issues to me. Did you use any fuel stabilizer while storing? Could be time for a spring cleaning of the ol carbs.

Take a small rubber mallet and gently tap the bowls, see it that helps fee up the offending carb. Run some seafoam through the tank.

If that doesn't help, time to pop them off and clean them.

Sounds like float issues to me. Did you use any fuel stabilizer while storing? Could be time for a spring cleaning of the ol carbs.

Take a small rubber mallet and gently tap the bowls, see it that helps fee up the offending carb. Run some seafoam through the tank.

If that doesn't help, time to pop them off and clean them.

I used the prescribed ratio of stabil to fuel for winter storage. I'll give the bowls a good whack and see what happens. I ran a bottle of seafoam through my father's F150 this morning, I swear by the stuff! I'll give that a try next weekend and report back. Thanks! Erik
________
Krystal Steal Pov

Last edited:
I bet your problem will solve itself. I'm betting it is a stuck float as a few others mentioned, or the needle/seat got dried out and the rubber tip will soften up once it has had a chance to soak in gas for a while. Good luck.

Jeff

Hey I just recently had the same issue with my 06. I disconnected the fuel line to the carbs and drained all 4 float bowls. Then I sprayed some carb cleaner into the carbs through the fuel line inlet. I let that sit in there for about an hour and then injected a SMALL amount of air 10-15 lbs into the inlet. Then I took a rubber mallet and took a number of good smacks to the problem carb. I reconnected everything and problem solved. I found that beating on the carb with a rubber mallet did no good with the float bowl still full of fuel. I think the pressure of the fuel still in the bowl will not allow the float to become unstuck. Good luck.

After trying everything I got really discouraged and sat on it for a long while. Well, now that the summer rains have finally disappeared here in New England I had my buddy who's a Yamaha tech go through the carbs and clean everything and replace everything that was ruined and it was substantial. Those poor carbs had lived a hard life. "ridden hard and put away wet' as they say.

But.... she runs! And I even painted her! Check it out: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=8891

Thanks for all the good advice! Erik
________
fat woman Webcam

Last edited:
Back