MPG last tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i fill up i aways put it on the center stand. I also put one foot on the peg and shake the bike when the fuel gets near the top, usually around 3gal. This makes the air pockets come out much faster.

Man, you guys are totally bumming me out. That shane guy and his 42+ mpg is simply bugging me to hell!

I rode around today, of course all city riding with some long stretches with no lights and speed limit is 55-60mph and I was traveling about 5 miles over for the most part. Never did anything extreme, hardly ever used Vboost yet the light came on at 68 miles! :ummm: :damn angry:

My a/f mixture is about 1.5 turns out for all. I guess I will have to mess with the ColorTune to see if it was off. Wouldn't turning them out more make it run richer and consume more gas? Float levels were all set correctly and I did sync the carbs just recently. I have used 1/3 Seafoam. Spark plugs and oil just recently replaced. The only mod I have is COP so what gives?
I used to think getting around 80 miles was bad after all the upgrades and adjustments, I am actually worse off somehow! :bang head::bang head::bang head:

The bike runs really smooth and powerful though.

I usually average 33 mpg. I can do better if i'm out with some vtwin buddies but pretty much the same.

Never did anything extreme, hardly ever used Vboost yet the light came on at 68 miles! :ummm: :damn angry:

My a/f mixture is about 1.5 turns out for all. I guess I will have to mess with the ColorTune to see if it was off. Wouldn't turning them out more make it run richer and consume more gas? Float levels were all set correctly and I did sync the carbs just recently. I have used 1/3 Seafoam. Spark plugs and oil just recently replaced. The only mod I have is COP so what gives?
I used to think getting around 80 miles was bad after all the upgrades and adjustments, I am actually worse off somehow! :bang head::bang head::bang head:

If you're getting that little out of a tank on an unmodified '06 something's not right unless your vboost is open all the time.. I got 105miles to reserve light with my '86 all the time, and it had over 40k on the clock and I wasn't particularly trying to save fuel.

First thing - how much fuel do you put in when refilling? Remember the tank holds 4gal and the reserve is 0.8gal of it. See how much you fit in next time you refill, when the RES light comes on you should be able to squeeze 3.2gal in there.

Second - carry a small can of gas (maybe 1L) with you and run your bike dry. That'll tell you if it's really drinking that much or if your reserve sensor's screwed and coming on way too early. You should get between 120 and 140 miles from full to empty.

Third - had a look at your plugs? All 4 look as expected with a light tan on the electrodes?

Fourth - take a good long hard look inside your tank with a flashlight - anything out of the ordinary?

I wouldn't trust a site that states Max idles at 1800rpm and vboost comes on at 6500rpm - idle is is 1000 +-50rpm and vboost starts opening at 5750rpm and is fully open by 8000rpm.

Also, during the kind of abuse they must've given the boost during their roadtest, surely the consumption would've been on the high side!

Having said that, I filled my '86 to the brim every time, and never went past 108 miles on the trip meter before the res light came on - no matter how much granny-riding I did..

I can second that, res light at 100 miles like clockwork, no matter how it`s driven - one of the things that always amazed me.

68 miles to the light? thats not right at all. i think ryan did a 20 mile test at like a buck 40 at one point and figured he was getting 20-25 mpg, so uh yea, you should be getting better than 5th WOT against the wind at 140.

i too also shake the bike and top it off a few times. i could see someone if they simply shoved the nozzle in and went until it first popped, that's probably a good 1/2-3/4 gallon difference.

Anywhere from 100 to 120 till the light. It depends how I ride. I got 140 miles out of a tank once. I was loping along at 55-60 steady throttle, looking for a gas station the last 20 miles. I got 3.8 gals in to refill. I was cycling the reserve switch back and forth (desperate measure for sure) with visions of walking.
I shake my bike to fill her up too. You can squeeze a bit more in by removing air pockets.
Steve

I got about 45-50 miles from home last night and discovered I'd forgot to bring my wallet. I'd gone about 86 miles v-boost on most of the time, throttle heavey ride. I estimated I had about 1/2 gallon or less left (panic setting in). I got enough change together for 1 gallon of gas. Drove home the slowest I've ever gone on my Vmax. Everythinng passed me. Old ladys gave me dirty looks driving around me, at least 6 Harleys blasted by. I kept it under 4k all the way, coasted a little too. I made it home and the reserve light hadn't come on yet.
rofl_200.gif
The milage can be had if you're not having fun.
A $20 bill went in my tool bag today, maybe a hidden credit card belongs on the bike too.

Steve-o

Man, you guys are totally bumming me out. That shane guy and his 42+ mpg is simply bugging me to hell!

I rode around today, of course all city riding with some long stretches with no lights and speed limit is 55-60mph and I was traveling about 5 miles over for the most part. Never did anything extreme, hardly ever used Vboost yet the light came on at 68 miles! :ummm: :damn angry:

Holy Crap, Bat Man!!....dude, you better check inside your tank for a growing cyst or something :confused2:........Damn....

What do your plugs look like?...but, the bike runs good is the important part thou.....

...and speaking of things 'batman"....Funny thing happened to my friends & I earlier today at Worchester (MA) Nationals....ran into this fine little thang....playing up her part and everything.....it might have had something to do with the outfit ...but...she was........uummm......TIGHT....:eusa_dance:

Sorry Rick :biglaugh:

CatWoman3.jpg

Went for a ride on the world famous Hyw 36 in northern Cali yesterday. Started out in Fortuna and usually go to Dinsmore (45 miles) and back. Plenty of fuel for round trip.

Such a nice day to ride so I decided to go to Wildwood (43 miles past Dinsmore) fuel up and ride back home.

Got to Wildwood and found out the store/gas station was closed. Should have turned around to go back to Dinsmore, but Plantina was only 10 more miles further east.

No gas station in Plantina! 98 miles on the tank with 53 to go to get back to Dinsmore! But only around 40 mi to keep going east to Red Bluff.

Pulled into Red Bluff gas station with 137.7 miles on the odometer and no low fuel light? Filled it up with 3.01 gal of 87 octane. 45.75 mpg!

On the way home, I let the Max run loose. Even ran with a sport bike till he passed slower cars on blind corner. Light came on at 135.5 miles. Fueled up at same station in Fortuna with 137.5 miles on odo. Must of shaved off 2 tenths of a mile on corners.
Filled up and it took 3.13 gal. for 43.93 mpg.

This mileage is without stopping between fill ups. On a two lane road with a million turns and 55 mph speed limit. Elevation between 50 feet above sea level to ~5500.

That's pretty extraordinary fuel consumption - and amazing you only put just over 3 gallons in after that many miles! I hope my '00 gets something near that, then with the 21L tank I should be safe between stations in the aussie outback lol..

My last 2 tanks were about 46.5 mpg highway riding at 70 keeping it out of the boost. The trip home, same route but an "occasional" run into triple digits to pass some traffic netted me about 45 mpg. Either way not too shabby. (Bone stock, stock exhaust, haven't messed with A/F screws yet, could probably use a sync)

Got 39 mpg on a highway and city mix this weekend. Mostly highway. I ride heavy though. Not too often am I easy on the throttle in the first few gears. I may not redline it, but I am not easy on it.

Back