My garage just got a little more cramped

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC Max

Reaction score
My V Max now has a little company. :punk: Just picked up this KLR 650 yesterday. I've had the bug to do some dual-sport riding lately. I came across this rig locally, and just couldn't pass it up. On the motorcycle scale it is about the polar opposite of the Max, especially in the power department, but it is definitely fun for different reasons. Rode it yesterday in 20 degree F weather at 75 mph....that will get your attention!

Attachments

• klr2-1.jpg
    klr2-1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 43
  • klr1-1.jpg
    klr1-1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 31
I have always wanted one. I think it would make a fun commuter bike, I have some gravel roads along the way to work.

Been going between the KLR and a DRZ as of late...I'll have one or the other before spring...cant really take the RC51 off road...:biglaugh:

Been going between the KLR and a DRZ as of late...I'll have one or the other before spring...cant really take the RC51 off road...:biglaugh:

The DRZ400 is better if you want to do more off roading than paved roads as the seat is horrible. It is also lighter than the KLR650.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. A friend of mine bought a brand new 650 last year and I went for a blast on it and I hated it... I mean really hated it lol.

My V Max now has a little company. :punk: Just picked up this KLR 650 yesterday. I've had the bug to do some dual-sport riding lately. I came across this rig locally, and just couldn't pass it up. On the motorcycle scale it is about the polar opposite of the Max, especially in the power department, but it is definitely fun for different reasons. Rode it yesterday in 20 degree F weather at 75 mph....that will get your attention!

Saawweeeetttt!!! So jealous.........

Can't beat a CR500 for off road fun. It's like the the vmax of dirt bikes. Big, heavy, old school dinosaur with some balls and a cult following. Simple machines that take a beating. Gotta love 2 strokes.

Thank you for the compliments. I definitely plan to get it dirty and add some "character" marks to it in the not too distant future. Before I had the Max, I used to Jeep, but got out of it because it got real expensive and if the Jeep broke on the trail, which it would, it was a serious pain in the ass. I have had a hankering to attack some of the old mining trails of Colorado and South Dakota and the like as I used to do with my Jeep. The V Max is great for a lot of things, but dirt trails is not among them. I looked at a lot of dual-sports and settled on the KLR as it essentially is the Jeep of the motorcycle world. Not very good at any one thing, but pretty damn capable when taken as a whole. I also loved the fact that it is nearly as simple and reliable as a hammer.

The guy I bought this one from bought it new in May, spent what I am sure is a small fortune on upgrades including the crash bars, luggage, front and rear suspension, adjustable windscreen, and center stand. Only put 1400 miles on it before deciding he wanted an ST1300 instead (another fantastic bike!). Allowed me to get a great deal on a bike that is still essential new with most everything I would want to do already done :eusa_dance:.

To say the least I'm pretty excited. At 50+ mpg with a 6 gallon tank, this will most definitely be my primary commuter once it gets warmer.....I'd be thrilled with 45 and sunny at this point!

What do you guys think? Should I bring it to the dyno day this summer to see if I can set a record for the LOWEST hp ever recorded at the event?

Back