My new-t0-me goodies! Install question?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
IMG_5626.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

IMG_5628.jpg

What's the best way to do the brace? Easy install? Looks like I can just bolt it up after removing the original - but those are famous last words.

Also - for my shocks - I really like my current black springs - and my new (to me) shocks are black - which, IMO look great - but the current one installed doesn't adjust (the cap is broken and moves feely, hence the new shocks I need :)

I don't suppose I can *easily* use the black springs from my current set up with the newer silver shocks?
________
extreme vaporizer

Last edited:
It's been 10 years but think I removed front wheel to swap braces. Just remove speed cable, calipers, and axle to remove wheel. Bungee the calipers to handle bar. Make sure you don't press brake lever.

The fork brace is a piece of cake. There are four screws holding the fender to it on the bottom, that's it. My buddy milled a custom one for me after the factory cast piece of junk broke on me. I haven't played with the rear shocks, so I can't help there. Keep us posted!

It's been 10 years but think I removed front wheel to swap braces. Just remove speed cable, calipers, and axle to remove wheel. Bungee the calipers to handle bar. Make sure you don't press brake lever.

Good memory, Mark - the wheel, brake calipers needs to come off to get to the fender bolts - after fender is off, than you can the old brace off.

Mike

I will have a look tomorrow. There are four bolts, so we'll see.
I'll take a closer look. The guy who gave me the superbrace told me he thought I would have to take the front wheel off - but I can't see why I'd need to until i take a closer look tomorrow. Thanks for the comments guys
________
green crack

Last edited:
I think there was enough room with the earlier smaller forks where you could remove the brace and fender without pulling the front wheel.

The front wheel comes off easy enough and gives you plenty of working room. I always take that route...no wrench marks on the fender etc.!

danny

I think there was enough room with the earlier smaller forks where you could remove the brace and fender without pulling the front wheel.
You're right, I can remove my '92's fender w/o removing the wheel. But with a fork brace install you want to loosen up all the front bolts (triple clamp pinch bolts, axle bolts) so you can get the brace properly aligned and then torqued back down. Don't forget to put the rest of the bike on some type of support, something to prevent the forks from sliding up the triple clamps as they are loosened.

Buster, I bet that's it. The smaller forks on my bike probably make it possible. I've had the front wheel off before, and it's a piece of cake too. I just put my bike on the center stand, then strapped the back grab bar down to my car lift so the bike couldn't tip forward.

Back