need different brakes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have HH pads and SS lines? Bled-well? Then that is about it. Going from stock 1992 single piston calipers to twin-opposed (4-piston) calipers made a big difference to mine, but I also upgraded the fork from the 40 mm to the 1993+ 43 mm. That and switching to radial tires made the biggest changes in handling/braking. I also got Progressive Suspension rear shocks too.

I have adapters to take r1 calipers on wave rotors with xjr1300 master cylinder. But the brakes aren't great, better but not great. The feel of the lever is slight. Little bit like a mouse click, ideas?

My 07 wears standard front brakes and stops like a poleaxed pig on a free fun from the abatoir. It'll stand up the rear wheel or lock up the front with no problems if I ask it. Good feel as well (apart from some rotor warp). I fail to see how 6 pot calipers can improve on that power. Enlighten me please. :confused2:

Chris.

Well when you lock up the brakes....you lose ALL control at that point, and you just slide into what ever direction. Like Sean said...its all about control.

I have the 6 pot FZR 1000 calipers from the mid 90's.....WAY better than what I had on my 07.

Well when you lock up the brakes....you lose ALL control at that point, and you just slide into what ever direction. Like Sean said...its all about control.

I have the 6 pot FZR 1000 calipers from the mid 90's.....WAY better than what I had on my 07.

+1...I have them as well and they've saved my ars a few times...

I did a 4 pot conversion to Nissin calipers with HH pads and stainless lines before the 6 pots were available. Huge improvement over the early single pot calipers on early Gen 1's. FJR masters are next. Just waiting on the kits. Next project is to link the front to back using the rear brake pedal. Another rear master might be needed. I'll post up progress, but it will be after the riding season here.
Steve-o

Judging by the collective wisdom re the six pot conversions and the general consensus that the feel is greatly improved I shall keep my thoughts regarding my OEM brakes to myself lol. I suppose I was just trying to say that I have never felt the need for an upgrade since I have never had any complaints about my system. I'm pretty lightweight @ 145lbs and perhaps I don't ride hard enough on a regular basis to feel the need for the upgrade :confused2:

Chris.

Judging by the collective wisdom re the six pot conversions and the general consensus that the feel is greatly improved I shall keep my thoughts regarding my OEM brakes to myself lol. I suppose I was just trying to say that I have never felt the need for an upgrade since I have never had any complaints about my system. I'm pretty lightweight @ 145lbs and perhaps I don't ride hard enough on a regular basis to feel the need for the upgrade :confused2:

Chris.
You have the better of the two different braking systems offered on the G1 Vmax's. The early brakes (85 to 92) are two pots whereas the Later brakes (93 to 07) have 4 pots. The 6 pots Hayabusa upgrade is most effective for us early brakers. With the upgrade I did I can use one finger for light/ low speed stopping and just 2 fingers for higher and higher speeds. This is with the stock master cylinder, ss brake lines, and wavy rotors to go with the 6 pots.

I have the r1 4 pots with adapters, SS lines, galfer disks and zx14 masters. Now I have to be careful how I break. I locked the front 1 few times after hard braking. It's quite a change and surprise at first lol

From the sounds of it, I am guessing if I were to upgrade to the 6 pot brakes from the Busa (assuming that the conversion is available for the 43mm fork bikes) I would end up having pinkie fingernail light brakes! lol

I seriously love the heavier feel of my brakes as they are right now, though I would feel better with taking my calipers in to get them cleaned. As they stand right now, I do not know if the lever pivot point just needs to be cleaned out, or if maybe enough grime has built up to make them feel a bit... catchy.

I DO want the Stainless brake lines though, to hive a bit better feel still.

From the sounds of it, I am guessing if I were to upgrade to the 6 pot brakes from the Busa (assuming that the conversion is available for the 43mm fork bikes) I would end up having pinkie fingernail light brakes! lol

I seriously love the heavier feel of my brakes as they are right now, though I would feel better with taking my calipers in to get them cleaned. As they stand right now, I do not know if the lever pivot point just needs to be cleaned out, or if maybe enough grime has built up to make them feel a bit... catchy.

I DO want the Stainless brake lines though, to hive a bit better feel still.

Its my understanding that the busa set up is only available for the early forks. The 93-up....the 6 pots from the FZR 1000 will bolt right on, and you do not have to change the length of the brake lines. It is a true bolt on.

If ALL that you do is the SS brake lines, it is actually EASIER to lock of the brakes. This was the first upgrade that I did, with the stock calipers....and pads, and i didnt like it. It was easier to lock up in a panic stop....and then you go sliding.

I wonder how a larger bore master cylinder with stock calipers would work. My main complaint with my stock brakes + EBC pads is more of the lever effort rather than stopping distance. Braking distance is typically dictated by the grip of the tires, if you can lock the tire then you should have enough clamping force to get full braking potential of the tires, in theory. The hard part for me is to do threshold braking with the stock master cylinder as it's very heavy and I find it hard to make sensitive adjustments.

Plenty of old and new bikes run dual 4pot calipers in the front with no issues...

Do you have HH pads and SS lines? Bled-well?

I changed to hh pads, that improved things, I have SS lines and bled them ?? Ten times! The feel of the lever is poor and I have to squeeze hard. Something's not right

Its my understanding that the busa set up is only available for the early forks. The 93-up....the 6 pots from the FZR 1000 will bolt right on, and you do not have to change the length of the brake lines. It is a true bolt on.

If ALL that you do is the SS brake lines, it is actually EASIER to lock of the brakes. This was the first upgrade that I did, with the stock calipers....and pads, and i didnt like it. It was easier to lock up in a panic stop....and then you go sliding.

Ok, I want the weight of pull on the brakes to be the same as they are (I do NOT like light feeling brakes) so what do you think my best options would be? Should I just get the calipers cleaned really good? (to ensure smoothness of operation)

as far as my rear brake goes, the only thing I wish to change is a slightly shorter lever. (Maybe an inch shorter.)

I wonder how a larger bore master cylinder with stock calipers would work. My main complaint with my stock brakes + EBC pads is more of the lever effort rather than stopping distance. Braking distance is typically dictated by the grip of the tires, if you can lock the tire then you should have enough clamping force to get full braking potential of the tires, in theory. The hard part for me is to do threshold braking with the stock master cylinder as it's very heavy and I find it hard to make sensitive adjustments.

Plenty of old and new bikes run dual 4pot calipers in the front with no issues...

A larger master cylinder would have an effect opposite of what you want. installing a smaller master cylinder would give you a softer lever. Less effort required to squeeze it. More lever travel required to apply the same braking force compared to stock. Many believe this give the rider better "feel" or makes it easier to modulate the front brake.

Stock is 5/8 which is nearly equivalent to 16mm. 14mm is a popular size to swap onto the bike.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A larger master cylinder would have an effect opposite of what you want. installing a smaller master cylinder would give you a softer lever. Less effort required to squeeze it. More lever travel required to apply the same braking force compared to stock. Many believe this give the rider better "feel" or makes it easier to modulate the front brake.

Stock is 5/8 which is nearly equivalent to 16mm. 14mm is a popular size to swap onto the bike.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hmm I guess that makes sense. I'd like to be able to replicate the braking feel of my FZ1 onto the max. Light handle and very sensitive lever pull, makes the bike feel much more nimble, although I do realize the max has an extra 130 lb to lug around.

Ok, I want the weight of pull on the brakes to be the same as they are (I do NOT like light feeling brakes) so what do you think my best options would be? Should I just get the calipers cleaned really good? (to ensure smoothness of operation)

as far as my rear brake goes, the only thing I wish to change is a slightly shorter lever. (Maybe an inch shorter.)

First thing I would do is to clean the calipers....then change to the EBC HH pads.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/11048/i/ebc-double-h-sintered-brake-pads

I would check with Sean....I think he keeps them in stock. With brakes....you want more "gripping" power....and not more "clamping" power.

I wouldn't think you'd want hard hitting brakes...but rather brakes the stop the bike with control...many of the upgrade improve feel and thus control...I'd rather use 2 fingers to control a sudden stop then grabbing a handful and not knowing what you're going to get...this is the theory behind ABS...people tend to panic, slam on the brakes and go into an uncontrollable skid...ABS helps with the over-reaction and general lack of feel in automotive brakes...I think improved feel and thus control are the real benefits of the upgrades...

Back