New clutch tool arrived today

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingy

Reaction score
I got a neat clutch tool from ebay today. It locks inner and outer clutch hub/basket together when working on motor. Nice heavy tool made by EBC.

Ebay sellers name is worldwide_motorcycle_equipment.

Current auction at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=310498062254

Few pictures attached.

I destroyed a crankshaft last winter when removing flywheel, wouldn't have happened if I had this. About $32 with shipping. I got it in 4 days priority mail.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_3552.jpg
    IMG_3552.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3553.jpg
    IMG_3553.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3557.jpg
    IMG_3557.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3558.jpg
    IMG_3558.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 18
very nice. what other models does it work with?

You can also make one with a spare set of clutch steels.
The handle took a little final reshape and bend after this photo was taken.

It doesn't lock inner and outer baskets together tho, it just holds the inner basket so the nut that holds the baskets in place can be torqued.

When I built my engine I just installed the clutch first. That locks the inner and outer together pretty well.

$32 seems a dang good price for a tool like that. Wish I had of known.

a6y8apyz.jpg

yea after i did my nt650 clutch i realized EBC sold a tool for like under $20!!!

altho luckily with that bike you can basically lock the clutch by removing the pressure plate and using washers to hold them together and then sticking a rag between the cranksaft gear and the clutch gear.

or if your clutch slipped too much like mine, a HF 1/2" electric impact made short work.

I have another clutch tool but it's still sitting new in the box. The EBC tool looks cool and probably something I even have available in the catalog.

Sean

the motion pro vice grip type ones work well for our bikes too.

1394118712_48ac9119c7.jpg

the motion pro vice grip type ones work well for our bikes too.

1394118712_48ac9119c7.jpg

Back when I was a teenager I found out the hard way that those tools are worth the $15 price tag. First time I tore into a MC clutch I tried to make my own clutch holder. I had a plate bolted to the studs on the inner basket. Ended up breaking one clean off. Cost me a new inner basket plus the tool. Sometimes you gotta learn the hard way!

It has worked on every clutch I've ever run across. Also does well at holding countershaft sprockets and the primary gear on most of the 2T's I've had apart.

The tool that Gary posted will lock the mainshaft and countershaft of the clutch together. I can see where that could come in handy but never really felt the need for a tool other than the motion pro grabbit. Never hurts to beef up the arsenal tho'

How did you destroy it? Puller bolt damage the end?

I was pulling flywheel off and had clutch basket held with a bar. Bar fell out and crank rotated, cam chain was loose due to heads being off already. Chain folded over and broke tooth off crank cam gear.

I had another crank, but replaced all the bearings cause I couldn't see color code on bearings.

Gary

I was pulling flywheel off and had clutch basket held with a bar. Bar fell out and crank rotated, cam chain was loose due to heads being off already. Chain folded over and broke tooth off crank cam gear.

I had another crank, but replaced all the bearings cause I couldn't see color code on bearings.

Gary

Ouch!!!
What a series of events!!

jeeze what a mess! why didn't you hold the flywheel with a big open end wrench?

Back