new guy questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynedta

Reaction score
quick intro My name is Gary Wright 24 yrs old im from Ohio and looking into getting my first bike (riding limited to few dirt bikes 10 years of atvs). Ive lurked for a quite abit on here just to see the thoughts on a vmax being a first bike and the general consensus is it is not a good beginner bike. I see that the perfered bikes for newbs is sv650, ninja 250. Now my question is ima a bigger guy 6'3" 220-230lbs and it just seems the beginner bikes are TOO small and to be honest deff not my "style" (i know thats not a good basis to buy a bike) but the vmax is a amazing sounding and looking machine by far my fav choice in bikes not cruiser not sportbike its perfect. fwiw I will be attending my local motorcycle saftey class before the bike will be purchased.

thanks (kudos on the site one of the nicer forums ive seen)
Gary

Hey Welcome Gary :welcome_sign:

The 650 has awesome torque and will be able to pull you around with ease
It handles better than the VMAX and the brakes are awesome
The problem with the VMAX with new riders is the power with the poor handling and brakes that will get you in to trouble
The VMAX will take it to/ the limits very quickly but the problem being a new rider is you dont know your limits
Nothing better to hear about than someone buying a new VMAX and joing the forum hear but its so sad to hear about all those that get hurt by Mr Max
I hope you make the responsible decision and most of all have fun riding without getting hurt

The best advice is to ask those here how long they have ridden before they waited for this beast
I have been riding since I was 10 and drag raced on a circuit for 5 years I had 21 yrs before I made the dive in and there are times still MR MAx will make me almost shit my pants by me getting in over my head with him

While I wouldn't advocate that a beginner start out with a Vmax, I will submit that anyone that knows how to use motorcyle brakes, clutch and throttle is not a "beginner". That being said, the Vmax in it's stock form is a heavy, subpar braking (esp. earlier models) and very powerful motorcycle. It is not one to learn on how to use the brakes, clutching or guage throttle position relative to handling. The Vmax demands respect from it's driver and the first time you don't it probably will bite you. Hard.

I think if your reasonable the Vmax can be a safe and fun mortorcycle. If you are not reasonable your just looking for trouble. This has been my experiance and others here will tell you how they feel about new riders and the Vmax.

Gary,
I am 6' 200lbs and also grew up with dirt bikes and quads, So all my riding experience has been in the dirt.
Never had a street bike till i bought my vmax.
i just took it easy till i got used to the handling and braking then I took the safety course and now i am so glad i made the decision to buy that bike. So you already know how to ride, just take it easy and respect the vmax, get used to it slowly and you should be fine.
I say go for it...:thumbs up:

Welcome to the VMF Gary.

I am an exception to the general consensus. The VMax is my first bike.
I'm one of those guys that sees it this way. You can get yourself crashed or killed on any size bike.
I tried out over a dozen bikes before buying my Max. I did learn to ride a motorcycle years ago, on my uncles little Honda back when I was a kid during summer vacations at my grandparents in Oklahoma.
I fell in love with the VMax back in 85 when I first saw it in a magazine ad. And no bike has ever gave me the desire to want it like the Max did.
Yes experience is a factor in all things. But the over whelming factor is the riders attitude while riding. If your haulin ass and not thinking about your surroundings and road conditions, your heading for disaster.
And you have to know your limitations! I've yet to have my Max WOT. I don't try to go zippin through twisties like a thrill seeker. The fastest I've been is 115, and that was on a divided hwy in good pavement condition with no other vehicles around me at the time. I got 18,000 miles on my original rear tire, so that basically tells you how extreme I get. I'm no young pup, I've sowed my oats. I still like to have fun, but I don't feel the need to push my limits any more. I'm absolutely happy with where I am today in life.
Taking the riders safety course is an excellent idea for anyone that is going to ride. It is well worth every penny, in my opinion.
With all that said... I would ask yourself these two questions.
Do I force myself to act safely and make the right decisions?
Or do the right decisions and safe actions come naturally without thinking about them?
If you answer yes to the first one, then Do Not get a VMax. Because the mighty Max will not give you time to think before something happens, it'll already be to late.
Good luck with whatever you decide to buy!
And always ride like every one on the road is out to get you!
:cheers:

The problem with the VMAX with new riders is the power with the poor handling and brakes that will get you in to trouble

Ok, I've owned an 04 VMax for about a week now. My previous bikes were a Kawasaki Vulcan 750, and before that a Vulcan 500. I find that other than the better acceleration, that VMax handles not that much differently. Is the comment about poor handling only when compared to sport bikes? Or is the poor handling only when riding the VMax like a sportbike? I tend to ride my Max the same way I rode my cruisers, (well, sometimes I do go a bit fast on the straight highway) which is to say I don't fly around corners.

The funny thing is, I have a Vespa P200 scooter, and I have more fun trying to go 70mph on it, than going fast on the VMax!

-MikeS

Ok, I've owned an 04 VMax for about a week now. My previous bikes were a Kawasaki Vulcan 750, and before that a Vulcan 500. I find that other than the better acceleration, that VMax handles not that much differently. Is the comment about poor handling only when compared to sport bikes? Or is the poor handling only when riding the VMax like a sportbike? I tend to ride my Max the same way I rode my cruisers, (well, sometimes I do go a bit fast on the straight highway) which is to say I don't fly around corners.

The funny thing is, I have a Vespa P200 scooter, and I have more fun trying to go 70mph on it, than going fast on the VMax!

-MikeS
mike ive owned over 15 bikes and the maxs handles and rides as well as any bike i owned...high speed highway ...on and off ramps..good lean angle holds a line good around corners......nothing handles well when riden pasts its limits

quick intro My name is Gary Wright 24 yrs old im from Ohio and looking into getting my first bike (riding limited to few dirt bikes 10 years of atvs). Ive lurked for a quite abit on here just to see the thoughts on a vmax being a first bike and the general consensus is it is not a good beginner bike. I see that the perfered bikes for newbs is sv650, ninja 250. Now my question is ima a bigger guy 6'3" 220-230lbs and it just seems the beginner bikes are TOO small and to be honest deff not my "style" (i know thats not a good basis to buy a bike) but the vmax is a amazing sounding and looking machine by far my fav choice in bikes not cruiser not sportbike its perfect. fwiw I will be attending my local motorcycle saftey class before the bike will be purchased.

thanks (kudos on the site one of the nicer forums ive seen)
Gary
go for the max right away within a week on something smaller you will wish you went bigger

Hi Gary and welcome! :banana:
You've ridden dirt bikes so I wouldn't consider you as a total bike newb. The comments are correct about power to handling capabilities, however sometimes I think the SS bikes are even more dangerous in that they are not as "forgiving" with riding errors. The VMax can be a "starter" bike, it really depends on the rider.

The main problem with a Vmax and new riders is that it can go way faster than it can turn and stop!

+1 to all the posts about the Vmax's power, but we all have to admit that a lot of Vmax stories are urban legends. I acually had a guy in a Mustang stop me one day to tell me about an article he read where " a Vmax beat a F15 on an Airforce runway " - maybe , but if you keep the tach. below 6000 rpm & ride responsibly the Vmax is as safe to ride as any other bike. Don't push it & it won't push you. I started commuting on mine lately & with all the traffic I don't even get the chance to hit Vboost. But on the occasion I get some open road & want a thrill, I just twist the throttle & it's "thrillsville" ! Good luck Bro.

Ok, let me rephrase.
The factory VMAX handles very poor considering its a 10 second 1/4 mile bike (Per Cycle Magazine)
If you ride it to its power potential you will lose control of it.
This bike is a known wobbler do a search on headshake vmax and you will find hundreds of links trying to fix this problem.
There are braced swingarms, frame braces, steering stabalizers, beefed up fork braces and strengthend swing arms the list goes on you know why? The VMAX is a poor handling bike!
Biased ply tires VMAX owners spend 1000.00's of dollars to remove these wheels and have a 17 in why ? Mostly because the VMAX is a poor handling motorcycle.

OK for those that say its not.
Yes the vmax handles well for a motorcycle if you putt-putt around on it through the park at 30 MPH. If you just ride on a smooth interstate and not exceeding 85MPH.

Also there are expierenced riders here, I have heard of 3 accidents in the past 2 months and all 3 of em were within a month time of each other and its not even riding season really yet.
If you get the VMAX mag from VMOA read the back page unfortuntely there is always someone getting hurt on VMAX.

IMO

i have no problems with handling think most of the problems start when there lowered and or stiffer springs are added..i go 110 to 130 mph every night in cool windy weather with not a problem..i herd all the myths also half the problem is not knowing how to ride a naked bike at high speeds..the after market companys did a great job of putting fear in the consumers

Most handling problems are due to bad tires and or air pressure. Next, swing arm and steering adjustment. When it comes to straight line high speeds.....solid mounts, fork or frame braces make little difference. It's in the curves where those help. Even with everything properly adjusted you're occasional going to wet a bit of a weave at high speeds due to the shape of the Vmax. It's not exactly aerodynamic when compared to the sport bikes with fairing.

IMHO

Most handling problems are due to bad tires and or air pressure. Next, swing arm and steering adjustment. When it comes to straight line high speeds.....solid mounts, fork or frame braces make little difference. It's in the curves where those help. Even with everything properly adjusted you're occasional going to wet a bit of a weave at high speeds due to the shape of the Vmax. It's not exactly aerodynamic when compared to the sport bikes with fairing.

IMHO
tires are a great point had a new suzuki in the 80s death wobbles at 85 on up..dealer could find nothing noe would they test ride it that fast...ordered new tires problem was gone never to happen again...great point Mark

thanks guys for all the replies it deff helps, its one of those things were ive read a ton about the bike a newb riders and its been mostly bad but then i re-evaluate the story and it all starts the same way where the bikes power is abused and then the accident happens, so after my safety course i will be picking up a vmax as i dont plan on being a limit pusher by any means!!

thx again guys and i look forward to my vmax purchase

FWIW, the VMax was my first bike...started riding in October 2006. I live in the Dallas area, and ride the bike here in the suburbs. No twisties here, just stoplight to stoplight.

Still love my VMax, and no regrets.

Good luck with your decision.

You can have plenty of fun on a V-Max and never break 100 mph. You can have fun never tipping into the V-Boost. I say get it, and feel it out. Yes, it is a heavy brute. Yes, it accelerates quickly. No, it isn't going to be doing stoppies or have you dragging knee around corners (unless you are either a very talented rider, or you are fearless). However, it is really fun to hop on and tool around on. I take mine to to the twisties and as long as I stay within my and the bike's limitations, it is an enjoyable experience. When I get straight roads, I open it up.

I was terrified of the bike when I got it. However, in the end it is pretty docile. My 450cc "minibike" Husqvarna SMR will bite you harder and faster than the V-Max due to its light weight, high power and seating position which encourages wheelies, stoppies and ludicrous cornering speed.

Mike

My two cents are that I am glad I started on a small bike and worked up. Went from a 125 to a 350, then to a 650, then 1100, now 1200. Learned to ride a bit in the dirt.

However, despite that experience, I dumped 2 of 3 dirt bikes and dumped both the 650 and 1100 on the street. Wasn't doing anything stupid on any of the bikes, but each accident got me anyway. Dirt bikes just tipped over, really, in the dirt. No worries. But I dumped the 650 on a wet road doing about 35. Luckily I had full riding gear that day and didn't even get a scratch. The bike nearly smacked a parked car, and it was lucky that there was no oncoming traffic. Dumped the XS1100 because I got a speed wobble / tank slapper / head shake in the middle of a turn. Was able to straighten up and ride it out until I hit some grass at about 15mph and dumped it.

Nobody likes to talk about accidents, but I have ridden probably 50 different bikes and have decent riding experience. And the accidents still found me.

If you're like me, you find you quickly want more from a bike, but a healthy amount of time on the right starter bike does not hurt.

I would not recommend a 250 for you unless you are very small or have balance problems, but I wouldn't recommend a VMax for you either, due to it's pig heavy weight and power. When you wake up the bike and find out it's fun, trust me, it's hard to ride like grandpa, so I have to wonder about you saying you won't push the limits on a Max. After all, the Max was built for one thing, and I don't know anyone who buys a Max and isn't tempted to see what VBoost is all about....

The XS11 is just as pig heavy, but I am to a point now where I can turn it all the way to the stoppers and do 5mph turns, stops, figure eights, etc. I know the braking limits, speed limits, and I definitely know about speed wobbles. The bike finally "feels" great.

If the Max feels great to you, go for it. If it doesn't, take the safety course, respect the bike, learn to countersteer, and ride like you are invisible. Go nice and easy until it does.

I think most motorcycle riders will experience an accident at some point. Hopefully you won't. But if you do, hopefully you can come through it and learn the lessons. Because sometimes you just can't predict when the tire on that 5'th wheel camper up ahead of you is going to fly off the axle at 85mph, swing across your lane and almost take you out.... or that chick on the cell phone who runs the stop sign..... or that sand spill in your lane up ahead in front of some vehicles that you can't see... or....

You get the idea. Just be very careful.

Back