New guy to the forum with 1985 Barn Find

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocsVmax

Reaction score
I am new to the site, so far I enjoy the reading. I have owned a bike shop before so im not new to bikes, but I am new to the vmax. Last week I bought a bone stock, 1985 V Max with 1700 original miles. It was in a barn for 20 years, I got the thing running by changing all the fluids and have been getting rid of old rubber, seals, rebuilding master cylinders, etc. I now have it running quite well. I have been riding it, and now Id like to knwo some of the things I can do to make it faster. I know I can do jet and pipes, etc. But what can I do myself? Is there anything I can mod myself for small horsepower gains on a budget. I race a ZX12, so most of my money goes into that, but when it was new, there was lots of things I could do to pep it up, just improving on what Kaw did, or by sealing up the ram air, or insulating the airbox, or removing catalytic converter. Are there things I can do like this to the vmax? Can you guys help me in the right direction. Also, I am looking for a used shifter and a nice seat if anyone has one. Ill be posting more about the bike as I get into it. The problem Ive been having now is that the headlight and gauge lighting is going on and off. What things are known to go bad on the vmax. Any problems I should look for. Any and all help is appreciated. Doc

Your going to find out the Sean (one2dmax) can be of great help! He has the ability to get you probably anything you need for these bikes.

Welcome to the forum...and there are LOTS of things on this forum to make your V-max better. Usually after reading a couple of posts...you find TOO many things to make the bike run better.

Eric

I hope to find too many things to make the bike run better. Right now im just looking for small inexpensive DIY mods. I cant splurge for a full pipe yet, but I have the shop space where I could mod my stock exhaust for sound and power. I can mod the air box or do anything like that.
I live in South florida, are these bikes prone to overheating, would engine ice or water wetter benefit this bike in summer time. I bought this bike out of a barn for 500.00. It came from an old friend who rescued it from a barn in NC. Its so clean, it mustve been covered. Im going to make it into my street cruiser. Prob lower the rear, get some diff bars and controllers, and do a basic cosmetic clean up on the bike. Any small details I can do while its apart I am willing to do. And if I can fix or diagnose anything that might go wrong before it happens, I will def do so. Thanks for the input, I do have pics, but I dont know how to post them on here.

When you post a reply...go "advanced" and then click on manage attachments, a 2nd box will pop up...and you can browse and upload pics that way.

Welcome DocsVmax. I would say there's not a topic about a Vmax that's not covered here. I still spend tons of time reading threads, when I get a "bright Idea" to do something to my Vmax. I see you have bike experience, but heres a good read about a Vmax. There's tons more, but this is a good start. :eusa_dance:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21240

GREAT FIND and welcome to the forum I have an 85 parts bike, I have your shifter and alot of other 85 stuff , I might be able to help you out with a seat too.PM me if interested

Good find! Can't wait to see pics.

I don't know that there is much cheap horsepower available. Most of it costs money.

If you have a nice '85 exhaust, I can tell you one thing that is very nice to do. There is a few threads no doubt on drilling out the rivets on the end of the cans to open them up a bit. Don't do that mod! There is another one where you get a long drill and drill out the deflector. The bloke I got my bike from decided to do that mod, but when he had a look into it (pun intended) he decided that he could put a long drift down the centre of the muffler and just bash what he said was like a core plug into the muffler. He then kept revving the motor until the core plugs "Shot out the back and flew over the road".

The original '85 exhaust is a bit bigger and louder than all the other ones, and I ran mine like that VERY happily for quite a while. It just needed 147.5 mains in it.

Also you might want to check out the mains, as there is 2 different sizes in there!

Thanks for the link. It was a good basic read. So Im not the only one with HeadShake. This thing def needs two hands on the wheel. My race bike has a steering stablizer so I got used to one handing it on the highway and such, not with this bike. I may actually add a stabilizer for street friendly riding. This bike is going to be my main rider for around town and bike nights. So I want to make it as user friendly as possible. I know this is blasphemy, but im thinking of chopping it up, not going crazy, but some mini apes, some bags and slamming it to the ground. Its been stored for so long, the paint is oxizidized as well is some of the parts on the engine that are silver. So a cosmetic overall is in order regardless. I am reading furiously, still looking for cheap or free mods I can do.
The plan right now, is to try and remove the baffle in the exhaust, lower the front .75 inch, lower the back as much as possible, add some mini ape hangers and all the cables and lines that go with that. Id like to have some sort of functional ram air, and lowering shocks for the back. After reading about the venture 5th gear, Id consider that because I will be commuting a bit on the highway. MPG would be nice although the vmax gets better mileage than any of my other bikes or cars. I am enjoying this bike. Today I went over it and I need a cpl things, a shifter, the inner fender deal, mine has the taillight relocated and no where to put a tag, so I have to deal with this for legal reasons, cops here are bad about that. I looked under the rear fender, and the tabs to bolt the stock stuff too are broken off, so I think I may need a fender too, which sucks because mines in great shape visually. Maybe I can come up with a custom option. Ive been trying to look at pics of other vmax's and how the taillight and license plate are mounted. I tried to upload a pic but my internet is slow. I had an avatar pic but for some reason I cant see it now. Thanks for the info, keep it coming. I heard about using venture heads on the vmax for performance gains, anyone heard of this or know about what kind of machine work is needed and what could be expected for gains?

If you tighten up the sterring head bearings you will eliminate 90% of the shake...I used a front fork brace to get rid of the other 10%. Tires also helps ALOT.

Sean has videos on youtube about the proper way to tighten up steering head bearings. Makes it super simple.

Sure you can carve up all your '85 stuff. Your bike now. Better move would be to put all the stuff you want to mod onto a shelf & save it. Then buy used all the stuff you want to alter, in nearly all cases it won't be any different from 85-07. Yes, ignitions & starters can be different, as can front forks (85-92, 93-07) but probably the one truth is the 85 is the only one worth more stock than altered.

Ignore this at your own financial risk. A stone-stock 85 will be worth more than nearly any mods you make to it. That's only my opinion. Bottom line is, if it's stock or can be returned to stock easily you can make many times your investment back if you do a cosmetic restoration. Permanently altering it will cost you it's intrinsic value as a first year bike.

There are enough used parts on here you don't need to butcher your 85's stuff. And if you insist on changing all your stuff, I'll give you $100 for the two aluminum side covers:biglaugh:

For my $ the best thing you can do for it is radial tires which will require a new rear wheel at minimum. If your downtubes are corroded, put the 'tubes, sliders, & triple trees on that stocker shelf & find a good used set from a 93+ front end & search about the different front calipers & rotors you can fit. All that stuff from a 93 & up will fit but must be used together.

Your bike, your choices.

Back