New Shinko's & shaking

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el oso

Reaction score
First, I always considered myself lucky because my vmax was so rock solid and smooth at any speed, where I've read that so many people have problems. But tires wear out, so I had the dealer install new stock-sized Shinko's from MC Superstore on my '06. Read here how so many riders like them, so I thought I'd try them. Now the handlebars shake between 45 and 50mph. Took it back to the dealer and they rechecked the ballance - everything is good, so they say it must be a defective front tire. Called MC Superstore and they shipped me a new tire and asked me to return the first one. Good people to work with. So I got the new tire, but I'm going to a different shop to have it mounted. I'm having trouble believing the whole "defective tire" story. They couldn't tell me how the tire was defective - just that it "must be". Vmax has 10k miles on it, but was totally stable at any speed up to 120 with the original Bridgestones, so I'm 99% sure the head bearings are good. Now I read a tech thread here that there is a "rule of thumb" that speed wobbles above 40mph are caused by the rear, not the front. The bars shake left-right starting at 45 and it goes away at 50. 65 is smooth, but shaking starts at 50 on decel - more shake on decel than on accel, and quits at 45. Not real bad, but bad enough to take the fun out. Has anyone here had a similar problem? If so, how did you resolve it? Thanks in advance for any input.

This is a very common problem. There are as many theories about what causes it as there are people. I replaced head bearings, wheel bearings, checked swingarm bearings and anything else I could think of that might be the cause....nothing made any difference.

I put a new Metz Lasertec ME33 front tire....de-cel wobble disappeared....gone! I am not a big fan of Shinko's, not saying they cause any wobbles, but I personally don't care for them.

I would think your bearings are fine.

Do you have stock length shocks btw?

Oh, just an observation but if your bike was rock solid right up until you installed the Shinko's then they are your cause.

Best tire combo I have found is Metz ME880 Marathon rear, Metz ME33 Lasertec front.

I had a decel only wobble on my '06 that was cured by adjusting the steering stem bearing per the "bounce" method. Can't hurt to check and see if they are loose.

Wouldn't seem to be the cause though since it was fine before the tire install but, I'd check to be sure.

I'm up in the air whether to use Shinko's or Metzler's on my 94. The 89 has Metzler's front and rear. They're old cause they're showing some dry cracking but they do handle good.. Dunlop's just don't make it on a VMax.. Thanx for some further insight....

I have had 4 shinkos on the back over the last 2 years (they wear quickly:biglaugh:) but I am going to try a Metz 880 before I leave for BRC. I have enough tread left on the current shinko to have some fun marking up the local blacktop.:biglaugh:
I tried a shinko on the front but did not like it at all, it cupped badly across the whole tire. I have a Metz 880 on the front now and it seems to work fine.

PUT YOU BIKE ON ITS CENTER STAND AND RUN IT IN LIKE FIRST AND THEN SECOND GEAR THEN THIRD , JUST OFF IDLE , AND CHECK FOR RUN-OUT , I SAW A SHINKO WITH ABOUT A 1/4 INCH WOBBLE FROM LEFT TO RIGHT IN IT , SO NO MATTER EVEN IF THE BALANCE IS DEAD-ON ITS STILL GOING TO WOBBLE ! .. ANYTHING WILL BALANCE , BUT IT STILL NEEDS TO BE ROUND ! .. YOU CAN CUT A 6 INCH SECTION OF A TIRE TREAD OUT , RIGHT DOWN TO THE CORDS , AND WHERE THAT PIECE IS MISSING IT IS JUST GOING TO TAKE THE MISSING PIECES EQUAL WEIGHT IN LEAD TO BALANCE IT , SO ON THE BALANCER IT IS 100% IN BALANCE , AND WHEN YOU GO FOR A RIDE , IT WILL HOP OFF THE GROUND ! .. BUT NOT BECAUSE OF THE BALANCE AT ALL , JUST BECAUSE THE TIRE ISN'T ROUND ! .. I NO THIS EXPLANATION IS EXTREME , BUT I TALK BETTER WITH MY HANDS , AND YOU GUYS CANT SEE ME ! . :confused2: . :rofl_200:

i ALSO YOU MIGHT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH YOUR FRONT TIRE , BUT YOU WOULD HAVE TO UNBOLT THE CALIPERS FROM THE FORKS AND PUT THE BIKE ON THE CENTER STAND AND HAVE A " BIG " FRIEND SIT WAY BACK ON THE SEAT SO THE FRONT TIRE IS OFF THE GROUND , AND SPIN IT , AND SEE IF IT HAS ANY IRREGULARITIES IN IT ! . :confused2:

I've had good luck with both my shinko rears and one front.I have a guy that mounts them with a manual no mar tire mounter and balances also with the adhesive weights and I've been able to hit 146 all the time,no wobble whatsoever just smoooooooth sailing so don't give up on the tire,mighta just been a bad one or mounting error.

when i replaced my rear rim from 15 to 17 i installed on the 17 rim a avon storm. when i reached 170 kilometres pre hour (in miles this is less) my bike was impossible to go faster cause IT WAS LIKE YOU WANT TO KILL YOUR SELF. when i replaced mY tire with BT-021 i could travel more tha n 230 with no problems. A BAD TIRE IS A BAD TIRE. i was checking bearings ,shocks bad rims cause it felt like something was serious wrong with something on my bike. the thing was wrong on it. was the rear tire. wont going back to avon for sure. for sure not going again on bt-021 my bike dont have any grip. iwasw thinking of shinko ...but many have lots of problems. i thing i am going with bt-003 . though i dont know how much it will last with a v-max which is very heavy

It's your tire......I ran a set of shinkos from the superstore, and swore by them, my buddy with the factory dunlops needed a new set, liked the look and feel of them on my bike and bought a set from the superstore late last year, and has the same problem.
The shop that mounted his tires called him in and showed him that the rear tire had a serious wobble caused by a bad belt in the the tire...said he would feel it at low cruising speeds only not high speed....same synptoms as yours....his bike ran flawless until the shinkos.

The super store would exchange them if he paid for shipping the tire back and shipping for a new tire, plus he already paid to mount them and would have to pay to dismount and mount again...would have been a $175 tire.
He said Sc**w them and he's still riding on it and trying to burn them up.
He'll get his next one at Cycle Gear...at least its guaranteed.

I chickened out and went with the Pirelli's.

Aren't Shinko's made in China? Have heard the QC at Chinese factories is non-existent!

when i replaced my rear rim from 15 to 17 i installed on the 17 rim a avon storm. when i reached 170 kilometres pre hour (in miles this is less) my bike was impossible to go faster cause IT WAS LIKE YOU WANT TO KILL YOUR SELF. when i replaced mY tire with BT-021 i could travel more tha n 230 with no problems. A BAD TIRE IS A BAD TIRE. i was checking bearings ,shocks bad rims cause it felt like something was serious wrong with something on my bike. the thing was wrong on it. was the rear tire. wont going back to avon for sure. for sure not going again on bt-021 my bike dont have any grip. iwasw thinking of shinko ...but many have lots of problems. i thing i am going with bt-003 . though i dont know how much it will last with a v-max which is very heavy

Take a look at the Michelin Pilot Power 2 CT . Handles / grips / turns / brakes / excellent .

Attachments

• DSC02069.jpg
    DSC02069.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 19
I guess I am lucky I have had nothing but good luck with the Shinkos. I have had them on 3 of my Max's now. I am gonna go with the Metzler roadtech z6 on my 89 only because I am switching to radials & they have the size & look I like.

I've had a few shinkos mounted up and never had any handling issues from them. I thought they were a great bargain and hooked up well!

Same here my one pair of Shinkos behaved perfectly, even took the weights off when I stuck DynaBeads in them to balance, and they were great, grippy and straight and true.

It's always possible to get a dodgy one though, from any brand.

Take a look at the Michelin Pilot Power 2 CT . Handles / grips / turns / brakes / excellent .

xmmmm interesting. i ll check it out for sure. from where did you buy the carbon rear tail. it looks like it is the same design like mine but it is carbon. i was thinking of making carbon mine too and i would like some info of your tail

Aren't Shinko's made in China? Have heard the QC at Chinese factories is non-existent!

Shinkos are made in South Korea, but owned by a Japanese firm...QC is all left up to the manufacturer in these countries, and i thinks the japanese QC should be pretty good...(that's a Max your riding...right)...a couple batch of bad tires get through spoils the party:ummm:
They purchased the Yokohama technology, which back in the day was one of the top tires used for racing.....and just as soft as they are today...pure race bred.

BTW...your $150 NIKE shoes are made in China, along with a couple other Asian countries, I think their QC is pretty good also.
Taken a look at the label and see who makes your Joe Rocket yamaha textile jacket......ain't the good 'ol US of A.

Back