New to me. 2002 Vmax. Come check it out.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlieRobinson

Reaction score
I finally found my vmax. 2002 with ~20k miles. Clean and mostly stock.
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Not a huge fan of the sissy bar but it seems to be attached to the turning signals and I have no idea how I would take it off and keep the turn signals. Any ideas? What kind of bar is this and do I need the stock piece to put back on if I take this off?

I like the styling of the '96 model the best but I was always told to go as new as I could afford and I stumbled upon a deal. I'd like to have black wheels and a new tail light. Maybe do something different with the mirrors. lose the sissy bar and maybe lower the saddle later on.

Please check out the pics and let me know what you think. I haven't named her yet.
Love this bike and excited to start logging miles. Hell yeah.:punk:

Wow, Nice Bike. Going newer insures that you've got the factory upgrades incorperated. Good to have them.
I can see where your money will be going. :ummm::confused2::biglaugh:

Welcome to one of the best "Brotherhoods" on the planet, this Forum. I've made freinds here that are "For Life"..:clapping:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Not a huge fan of the sissy bar but it seems to be attached to the turning signals and I have no idea how I would take it off and keep the turn signals. Any ideas? What kind of bar is this and do I need the stock piece to put back on if I take this off?

I like the styling of the '96 model the best but I was always told to go as new as I could afford and I stumbled upon a deal. I'd like to have black wheels and a new tail light. Maybe do something different with the mirrors. lose the sissy bar and maybe lower the saddle later on.

Please check out the pics and let me know what you think. I haven't named her yet.

those sissy bars are worth a pretty penny so i'd hold onto it and buy a grab bar. or theres a virago bar that can fit on that setup and just look like a bigger grab bar.

the taillight was the same on all year vmax's too not sure what you meant by the comment as far as that goes.

Nice find Charlie , and welcome to our addiction. We can fix that " mostly stock " problem. :rofl_200:

:welcome_sign:
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

If you want to lose the sissy bar.You'll have to replace it with the stock grab bar.You should have no trouble finding one on the VMF.If your interested in selling that sissy bar.They can be worth some bucks, depending on condishion.You can retain the lolley pop turn signals if that's what you prefer.There's lots of tail lights & mirrors out there.You will know the one's you want when you see them. Good luck, your bike is beautiful. :welcome_sign:to the VMF......Rusty:biglaugh:

Welcome to the forum. It's good to see someone else from Toledo on here, let me know if you want to get together and ride sometime.

Welcome aboard. If you have a wife or girlfriend and she rides with you your gonna need that sissy bar so she don't fly off the back.
I like the bag on the sissy bar do you know what kind that is? If you don't want the bag I'll buy it from you if the price is right.

Welcome aboard Charlie! Toledo,OH EH? The U.P. and Toledo are historically tied together due to a dispute over good 'ol Toledo, Ohio may have ended up winnig Toledo, Michigan's consolation prize was the U.P.!
Very Nice looking Vmax and with all your new contact's on here you should have the parts you want and all the technical support needed. :thumbs up:
Again, welcome aboard the good ship VMF!:clapping:

Welcome fellow Buckeye! Nice find! Use this forum for all your questions, concerns and wish lists. I have powdercoated grabrails for sale in the classified section. If yours has the clearcoat starting to peel, it is a good candidate for powdercoating. If your interested, I'd trade you a new gloss black grabrail and $175.00 for the sissybar. If it is in good shape, you are better off selling it outright. Switching over is easy, all the wiring has plugs on the ends. You unscrew the upper part of the sissy bar from the two lower sides. Then take off the back seat to unplug the wires. They are color coded. You can pull the big nut that holds the turn signal on now if you want. There are a couple of allen head bolts and a bolt you uncovered when you pulled the seat. Don't forget the 2inch by two inch black metal bracket that joins the two sides together. They are specific to the sissybar. Save your allen head bolts for your grabrail. Its a nice time to clean and wax things before putting it all back together. You can do it!

woohoo2.gif

Congrats, cR! You finally got it! Welcome to the bruthahood! Remember my advice--
respect it and it'll give you the best thrills! +1 with the others on the OEM sissy bar. It's a HOT commodity--it is a discontinued product and guys are paying anywheres from $200 to $385 depending on the condition (weathered vs polished, chrome, recovered, etc.). To get replace it you have two choices: 1) oem grab rail, 2) virago grab bar. In either case you can retain the turn signals, or put in some aftermarkets...or not (hehehe)

oem grab rail

img_10616713_01.jpg
from time to time, they show up on your friendly neighborhood eBay and here in the VMax parts for sale. if you feel adventurous PATMAX is tricking out their finishes @ Grab rails- Tasty fresh out of the oven

virago grab bar

this involves substituting the backrest's frame with the bar off of a virago grab bar whose ends have been trimmed to fit within the slots of the sissy bar rails
529180_3408544369777_1324570360_n.jpgmidmoraider.jpgvmaxride06.jpg
a variant of this mod, adds in a backpad to create a "low back rest"
prez's friend's.JPGMikeTD3lowbackrest.jpg

Welcome fellow Buckeye! Nice find! Use this forum for all your questions, concerns and wish lists. I have powdercoated grabrails for sale in the classified section. If yours has the clearcoat starting to peel, it is a good candidate for powdercoating. If your interested, I'd trade you a new gloss black grabrail and $175.00 for the sissybar. If it is in good shape, you are better off selling it outright. Switching over is easy, all the wiring has plugs on the ends. You unscrew the upper part of the sissy bar from the two lower sides. Then take off the back seat to unplug the wires. They are color coded. You can pull the big nut that holds the turn signal on now if you want. There are a couple of allen head bolts and a bolt you uncovered when you pulled the seat. Don't forget the 2inch by two inch black metal bracket that joins the two sides together. They are specific to the sissybar. Save your allen head bolts for your grabrail. Its a nice time to clean and wax things before putting it all back together. You can do it!

Go with pat! And id be willing to by that luggage bag off the sissy bar.. how's it connected?

Thanks for the welcome, guys. Glad to see some local members and everyone's enthusiasm. I am a member of the Riviera forum and they are a great group of guys that I have had the pleasure of being part of the community with. I know this one is going to be awesome too. Can't wait to check everything out.

Taking her home tomorrow and I'll probably just drool clean and polish all evening. Saturday I will be in Detroit and Sunday is going to be the big day.

Hope the weather stays awesome around here. I've been seeing a lot of folks out riding. Can't wait to show them all what a badass bike really looks like. This bike is probably the coolest bike ever commercially produced by humans in the history of time.

The back pack pack is up for grabs. please send me a PM. All trade and cash offers accepted.

ninjaneer, I especially appreciate your post. Thank you.

Last edited:
Welcome Charlie! +1 about keeping the backrest if your gonna have a passenger. Passengers have a tendency to fly off the back when you twist the throttle! You can also shorten your stock turn signals by removing the rubber section and adding a brass plumbing part that is available from any hardware store. Be careful riding it until you get comfy with the weight and horsepower!!!

Back