New to me Max and a few questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note, that "reserve" is when the lever is to the RES position (left) and not the ON position (which is the main tank section)

I forgot the best part of sitting there today. 3 guys with Harleys pulled up to check on me. One of them was on a full dresser all chromed out and he said," oh shit, that is a Vmax. That is one bad as bike and it is stupid fast." I felt my chest puff up with pride.

Ok. Does the fuel light go off if you turn it to reserve?

No...the fuel light stays on. Basically what happens is when the fuel gets low...and the light comes on, it kills power to the fuel pump. When you flip to reserve, it turns the fuel pump back on.

The harley riders here...will look at me on a Vmax...and then pretend that i dont exist...:biglaugh:

Yes check the vent line, it runs from top of the tank, closest line to the fill neck. as you follow the line down to in front of the tank you find a valve. This is the turn over fuel vent line, which basically prevents the bike from running should the bike get laid down - to prevent the bike from running and maybe even to prevent leakage.
This valve could possibly stuck closed is what Patmax is referring to. Do you hear a whoosh when you open the fuel cap?

Ok I do not hear a whoosh when I open the cap. I added fuel today 3.4 gallons. It ran good for about 10 miles then started acting up. I checked my fuel lines again. The filter between the fuel pump and carbs had a little trash in it. But didn't looked clogged. When it would stop working I would pull the faux tank and move the coolant overflow tank. I would then tap on fuel filter and cycle the key. I could hear the fuel pump. When I Cycled the key and the pump didn't cycle I would start it and it ran good. Over my 40 mile trip I had to do this 6 times. I am at a loss. I am thinking if replacing the fuel filters.

Ok, eliminated that possibility. Let me read back through and see if I can come up with more help. Have you looked at your fuel pump to make sure it is working properly? If you take it apart there are a couple of seals/ diaphragms that could be out of place causing issues. Here is the write up on what to look for.
http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=8775

Yeah I pulled the fuel pump apart before I did the carbs and cleaned some gunk out of it. I put it together wrong the first time so had to go back and do it the right way.

What is killing me on this is that sometimes I can ride for a while with no problems and other times it is only a few miles. It is like I hit a bump or something and it craps out. There must be some pattern to it but I can't see it.

I am trying to deal with one thing at a time but while I am thinking about it.

I have some popping from the exhaust also.

I am trying to deal with one thing at a time but while I am thinking about it.

I have some popping from the exhaust also.

Popping from the exhaust normally means a lean issue..

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

So I have ran the bike for a couple of hundred miles. There is popping in the right exhaust and every now and then what sounded like a carb sneeze even after it is warm. So if popping means running lean then it would be one of the 2 cylinders on that side, can I adjust the mixture screw?

The right exhaust is fed from the right rear and the left front cylinders.

Here are the stock settings

1-2.5
2-2.75
3-1.75
4-2.75

Mine are set at 3 all the way around.

I ran into a lot of the same issues you are currently running into. The popping issues I solved by replacing all of the rubber goods sealing the carbs. Mine were hard and I had numerous air leaks causing a lean issue. Put on the new rubber and synced. No more popping sounds.
Another error on my part was to tear down the carbs, clean them spotless, and put new parts in them as my carbs looked as dirty as your did. Here's my mistake: I failed to clean the fuel pump and I had to pull the tank out and use the three part system to clean it and coat it so I didn't have to worry about rust again in the future. Unfortunately for me, that meant I had to pull the carbs again and go through them one more time AFTER I cleaned the fuel pump and coated the tank as more rust particles had made their way back into the carbs.
If you haven't already, please take a look at the inside of the tank and see what it looks like as tearing the carbs apart, although not rocket science, is time consuming and a pain in the ass. Wish Ya the best!

Back