New V-Max owner

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gennro

Reaction score
Hi all I'll be picking up a 2001 V-Max on Saturday. It has 13k miles on it. My name is Matt and I am not new to Yamaha. I have a 1985 XJ700 I just got done restoring and add a few mods to such as Microsquirt fuel injection exhaust etc. Which will go to my wife now once I lower the bike it bit so she can touch the ground. So I figured I would come on here and say hi at least.

I found the V-Max for $4000 so I couldn't pass it up. Really hard to find them around here in New Mexico.

my names matt too, youll love it :D hold your wallet for a while and just ride it before u start doin mods lol. except for a seat, its ok to buy a seat

Welcome Matt! I've had mine since last November and love it! Post some pics of if you can. Mike

Pictures will be up when I get it Saturday. Planning on riding it the 170miles back from where I am getting it.

Welcome Matt !.........Glad you found us, enjoy your Max and look foreward to hearing more from you as you get to know it, small mods are not a bad idea, I put a Givi A123 flyscreen and engine guards on soon after I got my 97, I just installed a Harlan shift light too, just a few usefull budget friendly items, take care.......................Tom.

Bike already comes with a decent windshield. Not sure on engine guards but that will be a must.

Engine guards are also nice since it's a convenient place to put pegs so you can stretch out a bit on the highway.

Bang-for-buck mods:
-Shift light. Essential if you ever plan on making use of the vmax mill, which does not like to be over-revved. Yamaha actually dropped the redline from 9500 to 9000 on later models.
-EBC "HH" brake pads. These will give the stock brakes a big boost.
- A 55/100w headlight bulb. Big improvement on high beam, they go for like $5 on ebay.

Engine guards are also nice since it's a convenient place to put pegs so you can stretch out a bit on the highway.

Bang-for-buck mods:
-Shift light. Essential if you ever plan on making use of the vmax mill, which does not like to be over-revved. Yamaha actually dropped the redline from 9500 to 9000 on later models.
-EBC "HH" brake pads. These will give the stock brakes a big boost.
- A 55/100w headlight bulb. Big improvement on high beam, they go for like $5 on ebay.

Welcome. +1 on the shift light. My first mods were an aftermarket ignition and a shift light. Now I can confidently wring out the max without hurting anything with a missed or late shift. Enjoy the bike.

Welcome!

FYI, this site has a wealth of knowledge, and great people to answer any questions.

Quick question? Does anyone use the flash chat?
The Flash chat gets used on occasion, although it seems that the group of us that use to drop in there weekly have been busy with other things. I think we used to meet up in there on Tuesday at 10 PM. It can get pretty hectic if there are a bunch trying to have multiple conversations at once though.

Hi Matt!! :welcome_sign::cheers:

Quick question? Does anyone use the flash chat?

It was busy for a while and as been mentioned can get confusing if you are a slow typer like me! If you want, post up a message about a flash chat meeting and I'm sure the forum members will join you.

Welcome aboard Matt. Be prepared to stop for gas at least once on that 170 mile long ride home.

Be ready to experience the "holy shit!" moment that occurs when you hit the v-boost, especially in 2d or 3rd gears. Welcome to the forum.

I am pretty new to the forum as well, and just bought my vmax in January. This is a great place for info if you need it. Mine is a 2004, and I love it.

Attachments

• mymax.jpg
    mymax.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 12
Be ready to experience the "holy shit!" moment that occurs when you hit the v-boost, especially in 2d or 3rd gears. Welcome to the forum.

Heh, ya, be extra careful if you have to take any corkscrew style on ramps! Vboost happens. You may think you are just sedately increasing speed to match the traffic but if you aren't expecting it, that kick in the pants can change your line rather quickly. Ask me how I know.
:wave bye:

Back