Newbie needs help!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCVmax

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just picked up my first V-Max. So far I love it, but I was trying to get the top cover off and looked for the place to insert the key to turn it and get the cover off....but there is nothing there! So how can I get the top cover off? Sorry if this is a stupid question....but I am stumped!

OCVmax

year? if it's Gen 1, on the left side towards the backend of the lid on the frame, there should be the keyhole. don't know 'bout Gen 2s. watch out for the monkey that might jump out :rofl_200:.

Sitting on the bike, left side where seat and air box cover meet is where the key should be.

If its not there, if its missing, you could remove the seat and get to the latch. Open flip latch with two levers that are by grab bar and rear fender junction. Remove two #3 phillips screws. Look on hinge and remove 2 bolts with 10mm heads. One of each bolt on left side, one on right.

Pull seat up and back. Should be able to get to the latch assembly now.

Welcome OCVMax and congrats on your V Max! I'm a pretty new V Max owner myself and I'm not too far south of you in Vista. Another member,Rusty lives in Carlsbad. We all need to try and hook up one day for a ride. Mike

Thanks for the help! It is a Gen 1, but there is no key hole. Will try the other way to get it off. And Mike, good to know there are other Max's close by!

Man that's too bad the key latch is missing.I can't imagine some one removing that or how it could just fall off. Anyway I learned a new trick in case I ever have to do it with out a key. I just remembered that another V Max'er Tonyg-5386 lives in Oceanside so there are at least 4 of us in North County plus at least one other guy I've seen post from San Diego and a couple from Riverside /Orange Counties I believe. Good luck getting your air box cover off and let us know how it went.Mike

i dunno. you need to get that fixed. alot of my maintenance and enhancements have required as a first step, "remove the faux lid" and if i had to do what [email protected] says each and every time i needed to remove the scoops, i'd go mad. just my two cents.

A few of us don't ever bolt down the seat, release the seat latches and off it comes!:biglaugh:

NICE! well there you go. what a novel idea!! me being so anal would never've thought of that. hehehe. :eusa_dance: i think i'll start doing that.

Hi All,

Just picked up my first V-Max. So far I love it, but I was trying to get the top cover off and looked for the place to insert the key to turn it and get the cover off....but there is nothing there! So how can I get the top cover off? Sorry if this is a stupid question....but I am stumped!

OCVmax

It should be where the arrow is posted on the pic, if it is just a hole? Shine a light in there, you might be able to trigger the mechanism with a small/med screwdriver.

Attachments

• vmaxlock.jpg
    vmaxlock.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 42
Hello All,

I pulled off my seat.....Corbin...which I don't like....and reached underneath the cover and pulled it off no problem. Also, I ordered an exhaust system from Mark (very nice guy!) and a Maxgasser seat. Next is an 18" rear wheel and Progressive shocks. More to come!

mod monkey already hit ya eh, good stuff, pics of your bike is in order now and after

Hi All,

OCVmax
earlyphototwo.jpg
VMike is right.Let's hook up!!:biglaugh:

good luck getting the faux tank off. however, line up the tank lid when you put it back on. if not, you could risk scratching the scoops with the lateral lid dropouts. good riding....

Yep, that entire key thing is missing on my bike. Would love to replace it.

was on ebay just looking around and saw several for sale. also ask around the forum. i think CaptainKyle might be able to help you out.

Okay, here are a few pics of the new baby!

Attachments

• BlkVMax 005.jpg
    BlkVMax 005.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 36
  • BlkVMax 002.jpg
    BlkVMax 002.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 38
  • BlkVMax 008.jpg
    BlkVMax 008.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 36
Back