No spark diagnosis

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclenut

Reaction score
I have an '86 I'm working on and early on determined the pick-up assy was bad,but after getting what was supposed to be a known good used part,the ohms readings on the used one were exactly like the one on the bike.The original tested @ 245ohms on three out of 4 pick-up leads vs. the 110-115 the manual says,and so does the newsed one.Anyone out there have any advise????? HELP!!!! Thanks--Ken

Ken, did you use the orange as the common? That's what the manual says and it's wrong. Use the black as common and re-measure your four p/u coils.

I knew I came here for the right reasons.Thanks for the PROPER info.I retested both and guess what?? Both are OK.Thats enough to piss ya off.We placed the cover on with a few bolts and spun it.Low and behold its got spark.I have no frikken idea.It first had a no crank condition,and I jumped all the switches and relays.Once I got it spinning over we had no spark.Thats when I verified power to the CDI and coils.Once that was done I went for the pick-up assy.Based on the manual it was bad.Now I'm baffled as to how its sparking.The stealer got us the wrong cover gaskets so it'll be a few more days till I can find out.Thanks a bunch for your help.I'da been pissin up a rope for days:bang head: One more question---is that kickstand relay known for intermittently NOT working?? Thanks again-----Ken

Yeah, clutch switch, sidestand switch and relay (early models) get flaky. Cleaning the switches usually fixes those. If sidestand relay went bad then the engine would turn over but no spark.

Latest posts

Back