NO2 question.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx72

Reaction score
Anyone running a low volume, concealed nitrous kit over a stock motor? I'd really like a little extra pushbutton oomph, but I can't seem to find anything suited to the application. Most of the turnkey systems I'm able to dig up online are of the large 'n' skurry variety.

Anyone running a low volume, concealed nitrous kit over a stock motor? I'd really like a little extra pushbutton oomph, but I can't seem to find anything suited to the application. Most of the turnkey systems I'm able to dig up online are of the large 'n' skurry variety.

You can hide your lines and solenoids pretty easily in the airbox. Others mount thier solenoids in front of the battery box and run the lines real snug against the frame.

As far as the bottle its a matter of placement, obviously your not going to conceal a 2lb bottle with a stock engine config. Although it has been done by fitting it under the faux tank when flat slides are used and obviously the airbox removed.

However if you can score a small DOT bottle, that you can fit the proper fittings on and it has the proper specs. ( A friend of mine has a small 4oz tank thats used in paintball applications, that he uses for his quarter scale dragster )

I run twin 10oz tanks that are fitted to my frame braces, I like the look of it better then hanging the 2lb tank off my bike like I've seen on other rides. The 2lb tank does look impressive, but to each thier own.

You can pick up the 10oz tanks with a high flow valve for about $100/ea.

Attachments

• N2OMax.jpg
    N2OMax.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 38
  • nitrous1.jpg
    nitrous1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 170.jpg
    170.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 38
( A friend of mine has a small 4oz tank thats used in paintball applications, that he uses for his quarter scale dragster )

Funny you should mention that, that's *exactly* what I was thinking of. I used to run 4oz tanks under automags, I probably still have a couple in the garage, and they're good to something ridiculous like 800psi.

I was wondering how hard on the engine it would be if you basically ran a dry system on the VMax. Now before I get ram-rodded with comments, I'm talking a pretty small shot 10-20hp. I'm sure you have seen the "sneaky pete" systems http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATV-...410823QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Couldn't we come up with a dry shot system in the air box? I would want to check the A/F ratio when spraying to make sure you don't make it too lean, but it sure would be neat to know how much you A/F ratio drops with lets say a 20hp dry shot of NOS.

I also think that once you get a little shot hooked up to your bike, you won't be happy with "a low volume shot". You will want more and you'll want a bigger bottle so you can spray it all the time. I can get about 3 good 1/4mile passes out of a 2.5 lb bottle with a 40hp shot, so it does go quickly.

It can be done, but like you said the key is A/F ratio. I don't know anyone who has or currently runs a dry shot so I don't know whats in thier instructions for figuring that out.

In cars, and I wouldn't see much difference in bikes, dry kits rely on "existing" Fuel sorces to provide the extra fuel. the extra fuel is acquired through either increasing the fuel jetting, or having the computer add more fuel.

Years ago dry kits normally meant either adding fuel pressure by injecting nitrous into the fuel-pressure regulating vaccum control line or adding it via a modification the the vehicles fuel delivery computer. Today "dry kits" typically blow through a Mass Air Flow Meter and rely on it to detect the extra oxygen and provide more fuel to compensate.

Its a snap to install. but, you're asking the fuel system to do something it wasn't designed to do and that can cause some issues.

It would be interesting to see one and play around with it.

I've got a friend that ran a small dry shot on his old carbed R1. Got good results with it. I'll see if i can hit him up for some info...

a 20 shot through your air box will not hurt anything . the only reason ppl run into problems when they do this is because they forget to shift when the motor doesnt stop makin power at the same rpm that they are used to feeling it start to fall off .

a 20 shot through your air box will not hurt anything . the only reason ppl run into problems when they do this is because they forget to shift when the motor doesnt stop makin power at the same rpm that they are used to feeling it start to fall off .

That may be the case for some, but not all. Especially those that are jetted/tuned a little on the lean side. The time spent on the spray has a lot to do with it as well. One can get away with most anyting in the 1/8, but may see issues(melted plug elecrodes/alum specking in cyl) in the 1/4mi. Those that spend more time in one gear(top enders and the 9/10ths guys) had better have everything spot on.

I don't have pics at the moment but I have an airbox already mounted up with a NOS setup that would conceal very nicely.

Sean

I don't have pics at the moment but I have an airbox already mounted up with a NOS setup that would conceal very nicely.

Sean

Can't wait to see that sean.

Like some folks mentioned above, I don't want to drop 50hp on a dry shot, I'm just looking for a little something extra, a 15-20 short duration shot. I'm hoping I can get away with that without having to play around too much with the fuel mix.

Sean, is this what you have? I've been sneaking around your shop taking pictures!!!!!

Attachments

• nitrous.jpg
    nitrous.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 42
That's it - LOL! Anyone interested?? I probably won't be using it myself.

Sean

I would think that the extreme heat would shorten the life of the solenoids in the airbox. Its a neat idea if you want to hide your NOS setup. If I were to go with this setup I would definently use some heat insulation on the floor of the airbox.
IMO you are not going to see much gain with just a 20HP boost. I know when I first installed my NOS setup I started out real small with an 18HP config and I couldnt real feel the NOS kick in. If your thinking your going to feel the 20HP shot your kidding yourself and be easily tempted to go up in jet size and this is going to cause disaster with a dry setup on a carb engine..
Ya would think a 50HP shot would be like going into warp speed but really on the VMAX it doesnt knock your socks off, dont get me wrong with 50HP you know its doing something just wasnt what I thought..

May I ask why you want to hide your NOS setup? One of the best things about Nitrous is all the stares ya get and comments..

With air flowing through the box, heat will not really be an issue. Shutting bike down is the only time the box might "heat soak", though its doubtful it would be harmful. The box is vented at the top. I've seen the solenoids mounted in much worse places w/o issues. Also know of a few bikes with big wet shots plumbed into their airboxes and they have been running in the WEST TEXAS HEAT for years w/o issues. One said he had more life from his solenoids in the airbox then when they were mounted behind the cyl block(above the tranny).

Ya would think a 50HP shot would be like going into warp speed but really on the VMAX it doesnt knock your socks off, dont get me wrong with 50HP you know its doing something just wasnt what I thought..

May I ask why you want to hide your NOS setup? One of the best things about Nitrous is all the stares ya get and comments..

Agree 100%

and Agree 100%

You really won't notice much of a difference with a 20HP shot the only thing you would really notice is that you may be able to pull away from other VMaxes faster or may be able to hang with other bikes, but you probably won't really "feel it" a whole lot.

It is funny to hear people talk about NOS on a VMax... you always hear "they are fast as hell stock" but we all know there is much faster and lighter out there.

That may be the case for some, but not all. Especially those that are jetted/tuned a little on the lean side. The time spent on the spray has a lot to do with it as well. One can get away with most anyting in the 1/8, but may see issues(melted plug elecrodes/alum specking in cyl) in the 1/4mi. Those that spend more time in one gear(top enders and the 9/10ths guys) had better have everything spot on.

my bad , i didnt mean to make it sound like thats the only reason ppl have trouble . i think you make a good point , but iv worked at two differant hipo shops in the past and have called the nos tech line for many differant reasons . on this subject they told us , a safe rule of thumb to go by for a dry shot on a stock motor is 25% of your hp . so in the case of the vmax this would = 36 or 40 . he only wants to spray 20 . nos clames you should be able to spray 40 all day long at the track , as long as your not starting with a lean motor to begin with .

a safe rule of thumb to go by for a dry shot on a stock motor is 25% of your hp . so in the case of the vmax this would = 36 or 40 .

Dunno where you bought your Max, my stock motor is definitely not laying down 160hp LOL.

Dunno where you bought your Max, my stock motor is definitely not laying down 160hp LOL.

He is talkking at the crank what the engine makes not RWHP numbers. I hope your engine is making 145-155 at the crank if not you need more sea foam

He is talkking at the crank what the engine makes not RWHP numbers. I hope your engine is making 145-155 at the crank if not you need more sea foam

Ah.

Given the proliferation of Dyno freaks around here I always assume we're talking about RHWP. My bad there.

Back