Not a Bike Progect But A Fabrication Project.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

82ndCowboy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out a way to raise and lower a caution light on my Peterbilt.
Right now it's mounted on the roof on a beam across the top of the truck. But it gets beat to hell when I go into places with low hanging trees and what not.
So I want to get it off the roof and mount it on a stand. And mount the stand on top of the headache rack behind the cab/sleeper.
I need it to raise up at least 3 feet when being used and then retract back down when not in use. It has to be sturdy enough to withstand going down the road at 70 mph and be able to withstand the vibrations from being mounted on a big truck. It also has to be able to get wet and dirty.

Some of the ideas I've looked at are...
telescoping poles, telescoping masts and telescoping posts, linear tracks and telescoping tracks. But have yet to find anything within reason to accomplish what I need.

The caution light is only about 15lbs and can be mounted to a flat base.

My idea was to use a pneumatic air cylinder to raise it when it's on then let it slide back down when it's off. I have found a pneumatic cylinder that will work but I need some kind of framing that will be sturdy enough when extended 3 ft. I've spent about 5 hours searching the net and have yet to find anything that will work. So I am going to have to fabricate something.

So I'm asking for ideas for a sturdy frame (preferably aluminum, but not mandatory) that has some form of risers or rails so the caution light can be lifted 3 ft into the air.

I'll attach a drawing of what I had in mind. But any ideas are welcome.

Attachments

• 20130409_220525.jpg
    20130409_220525.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 61
Some of the issues I'm running into.

The risers have to be constructed so as dirt and water wont cause problems but yet they have to be tight enough to hold the light steady so it doesn't vibrate back in forth too much.

Maybe use a car seat track and electric motor? They don't move up and down very quickly but they do hold in place well.

Sean

I'm thinking of a cut down in length garage door opener. Let me throw it against the wall a bit and see if anything sticks. :rofl_200:

Last edited:
Rather than raising and lowering can you hinge it so that it folds back and lays flat?.........................Tom.

Your drawing with the air cylinder would work, and you could plumb it into your auxillary air tank. As far as the side posts, how about some square tubing? You could get 2 different sizes, so that the smaller size goes inside the larger. Might rattle though, depending on the fit.

How about using inner fork tubes for risers pipes? Also you probly want to mount the aparatus on rubber or springs to handle the vibration.

Cool you're OTR, got pics of the 'Pete"?

Expanding a bit....a top plate to mount the light bar and a bottom plate with 2 holes for the fork tubes to slide in....regular dust seals to dampen vibration.

Hmmm, gonna be a lot of play in full extension tho....

Bass boat "pole holders?". They mount to the rear and extend about 10 feet to hold the boat in shallow water. Might work

Thanks for the ideas guys.
Much appreciated. It's still in the contemplation stage right now because I'm trying to get my new Carrozzerias and Galfer rotors issue taken care of.
Then I'll move on to this project.

What about adapting a manual rowing machine?
Always tons of used exercise equipment on the net, for bargain prices.
The seat is fastened firmly to the rails, and of course meant to slide, over a distance of three feet or more. The sign could be mounted to the seat hardware. You would only have to rig the cylinder to hardware.
Cheers!

Since you have air and already want to operate via air why not use 2 air cylinders with a 36" stroke? T them together and regulate the air supply for about 30 psi so they wont try to raise one side faster than the other and bind. Make sure left and right hose going from T are exactly same length and same turns/bends etc. Mye even have to use a flow control device to stop it from raising too fast.
Or, a pair of rodless cylinder would would nicely but they are usually very expensive.

Cool truck i ran a 2009 for awhile. I like toms idea because it wouldent cost much and it wouldent take much to build it. That way when your done with the truck you can just let it go and build a new set up for your next truck. Chances are the next truck would need a different set up. And you could always send a lot lizard up to flip it. Lol

I can remember back in my earthmover days i had to load a duel enginge terex on to a trailer like that and everytime i hit the rear throttle to jump it up onto the higher deck it would kick out sideways and i would shit myself. After thinking about it i rolled forwords about 3 feet and than rolled into it at just the right speed. And i thought loading and unloading a back hoe was bad. That big shit can screw you big time. Im to old for that young mans work so i just do line haul 50 hours a week 2500 to 3000 miles a week but home everday. Well most days.

Latest posts

Back