NTC double spring shocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medicineman843

Reaction score
I just got a pair of NTC chrome blue double spring shocks for the max. It will lower the rear end 1 to 2 cm. will I have to worry about lowering the front end a lil bit as well? I have an 86 and i've heard its a pain in the ass lowering the front forks... any help or advice would be much apprieciated

I finially caved in and bought them! For the price can beat em... They look so sick. I got the chrome blue ones. 189 shipped. If its one 1 to 2 cm in the rear i cant think that you would have to lower the front as well.... (hopefully!!) How hard would it be to take off the stock shocks and put these on?? I'll post pictures asap

lowering the front with the older forks requires a lowering kit from progressive. a bigger pain than swapping out shocks for sure, esp b/c you can't just lower the forks in the trees like you can the newer ones.

Swapping shocks is quite easy. Only obstacle is that depending on exhaust type, the muffler may be in the way. Other than the exhaust, only 1 bolt and 1 nut/shock and they are off. If you have a centerstand it doesn't matter how you do it but if you only have a side stand only remove on shock and replace it with the new one, then do the other.

Lowering the front end wouldn't be mandatory but it would be recommended. Check the stickies in the suspension forum. There is one called "procedure on lowering blocks". You can lower the forks internally by installing some homemade spacers. Or, as garrett mentioned, you can by a spring kit from progressive that comes with lowering springs, either way works. The kit runs about $100

You can lower them by raising the forks in the trees but to do that you need to remove the air crossover and plug the holes with weld or jb weld or epoxy. Even if you lower them internally, I would remove the air crossover, plug the holes, and run the forks with no air, 15 or 20 wt oil.

It not really recommended to lower the front end without replacing stock springs.

Save some money because pretty soon you will be buying new shocks. Those ebay specials look pretty but were designed for a scooter about half the vmax weight. We've had a set in hand and ended up putting them on the Fazer which seems to work ok for them and the 100lb rider.

Sean

Jsut got those shocks today, Was about to try them out, but the chrome paint was peeling off and one of the springs wasn't properly on the shock, Once again sean you were very right... Piece of shit shocks!!!!!

Back